PDA

View Full Version : Slavery at Shashlik Mashlik Evropeiski

zingo
23-12-2009, 23:38
Went for a quick lunch there today as I wanted shashlik and was in the area.

Quite nobody eating (1 PM), big staff waiting for clients.

Waitress came and took my order: Soup lapsha, shashlik i potatoes with mushrooms, plus mineral water Nazran.

After 20 minutes (!) came the soup: Hartsho! I asked why this, and the waitress finally admitted that she made an error and apologized. I just *can* not eat this, problems of stomach! So she came back and finally brought (after 10 new minutes) a soup lapsha!

Shashlik came, not good. Only potatoes and mushrooms were fine. But the point isn't here.

Came the bill. I quickly checked and saw 2 soups: Lapsha ... and hartsho! Waitress immediately told me that SHE will pay for the hartsho, as she made an error, and it is the policy of the house.
I fell a bit shocked, soup isn't especially prepared, it is just taken from a big casserole! And so I began to talk with the girl and got more and more shocked.

She told me that yes, any error makes she pay the dish, PLUS a penalty of the same amount, deducted from her salary. The boss told "to teach you to work better"!

Talked a bit more and she told me that tips are shared at ... sit down to read... 50/50! 50% for the house, and 50% for the waitress!!! I am sure she didn't lie, she was about to cry as she explained me this. And finally as a black ass with an ugly face looked at her, she told me "have to go, the manager will shout"! I offered her to take her phone number and to make her work in my restaurant, or at least to have a business talk for this, she looked happy and agreed.

Finally of course I paid both soups and let a more than correct tip, but fell angry that half would go to feed the house :(

A place to avoid IMO, as anyway the meat is not good. Ah and I avoided the 190 rub tea, seemed a bit (!) expensive for such a place! More expensive than a shashlik...

tvadim133
24-12-2009, 00:36
You know, that is not easy to work in restaurants in total.

Frankly speaking, as I know, to find better job in Moscow is not a problem, so why she was so ..... strange..not to leave the job if something does not suit her? But nevertheless....

Speaking about tips, it is really so, ususally ( as fas I was told by my friend) who worked in the busines) they share tips in following way: 50% for the waitress, 50% for people who worked at the order (a barmen, a chef), that the ususal practic!

It is the same when all personnel got the annual bonuses, though sometimes the company could did a profit only thanks to one smart person. :)

I do not go to Evropeysky for food at all....for me the place is more connected with train station (too many travellers), so even Shaslyk in another place can be better dramatically (but it is not a good chain in total, to my mind and taste).

AndreyS
24-12-2009, 00:50
Frankly speaking, as I know, to find better job in Moscow is not a problem, so why she was so ..... strange..not to leave the job if something does not suit her?

You see he talks about slavery, maybe he saw she was shackled and chained to the place...

Jokes aside, my acquantances told me waiters' salary is very poor and they have to live off their tips.

tvadim133
24-12-2009, 00:55
I think, she had showed it to be, because she did not want to pay for the "wrong" soup (it was her fault, excatly).

So she cried and told the awfull story about her job, and as a result, who paid?

Actually, once I was in such kind of situtation (absolutely the same) 5 years ago in Il Patio at Mayakovskaya M. (it was not my fault to go there :) ).

May be it was she again?

tvadim133
24-12-2009, 01:00
You see he talks about slavery, maybe he saw she was shackled and chained to the place...

Jokes aside, my acquantances told me waiters' salary is very poor and they have to live off their tips.

What I was told (2 years ago), the salary was $200 per month (for the work of a barman), but incomes of the barmen was $1300 per month net (there were some nights but not all nights in a month), it means more then $900 were tips.

MAy be now, people do not leave much tips (crisis, you know), but for the work of a barmen (not a waitress, whose ammount per bill is higher).

Not perfect, but not bad in case you have got your own flat in Moscow and you are young (a student for example).

trebor
24-12-2009, 08:45
Went for a quick lunch there today as I wanted shashlik and was in the area.

Quite nobody eating (1 PM), big staff waiting for clients.

Waitress came and took my order: Soup lapsha, shashlik i potatoes with mushrooms, plus mineral water Nazran.

After 20 minutes (!) came the soup: Hartsho! I asked why this, and the waitress finally admitted that she made an error and apologized. I just *can* not eat this, problems of stomach! So she came back and finally brought (after 10 new minutes) a soup lapsha!

Shashlik came, not good. Only potatoes and mushrooms were fine. But the point isn't here.

Came the bill. I quickly checked and saw 2 soups: Lapsha ... and hartsho! Waitress immediately told me that SHE will pay for the hartsho, as she made an error, and it is the policy of the house.
I fell a bit shocked, soup isn't especially prepared, it is just taken from a big casserole! And so I began to talk with the girl and got more and more shocked.

She told me that yes, any error makes she pay the dish, PLUS a penalty of the same amount, deducted from her salary. The boss told "to teach you to work better"!

Talked a bit more and she told me that tips are shared at ... sit down to read... 50/50! 50% for the house, and 50% for the waitress!!! I am sure she didn't lie, she was about to cry as she explained me this. And finally as a black ass with an ugly face looked at her, she told me "have to go, the manager will shout"! I offered her to take her phone number and to make her work in my restaurant, or at least to have a business talk for this, she looked happy and agreed.

Finally of course I paid both soups and let a more than correct tip, but fell angry that half would go to feed the house :(

A place to avoid IMO, as anyway the meat is not good. Ah and I avoided the 190 rub tea, seemed a bit (!) expensive for such a place! More expensive than a shashlik...

Keep away from restaurants like that.
Making the waitress pay for the mistake is one thing but putting it on the bill for the customer to see is terrible practise.
The manager should teach the waitress how to take an order at the table, then these mistakes will not happen. All she has been taught is how to extort money from the customer.
If these kind of bad practises occur in the restaurant what is happening in the kitchen? I'm not surprised you did not enjoy your meal.
The restaurant is not a well paid business to be in if you're at the bottom. Still, people must be paid a living wage. Actually it's in the restaurant's interests to pay a decent wage. This will reduce staff turn over and therefore improve consistency in maintaining standards.
Russia still has a long way to go to achieve modern work practises and basic working conditions for it's people.
It comes down to training at all levels.

AndreyS
26-12-2009, 20:02
what is happening in the kitchen? .

Oh yes, Trebor, tell us about that, pls - you really know the ropes.

ele_naidi
26-12-2009, 23:41
I think, she had showed it to be, because she did not want to pay for the "wrong" soup (it was her fault, excatly).

So she cried and told the awfull story about her job, and as a result, who paid?

Actually, once I was in such kind of situtation (absolutely the same) 5 years ago in Il Patio at Mayakovskaya M. (it was not my fault to go there :) ).

May be it was she again?

:iagree: May be her salary depends on how many times she cries?

trebor
28-12-2009, 23:15
Oh yes, Trebor, tell us about that, pls - you really know the ropes.

Thanks. Let me know if you have any culinary questions.