PDA

View Full Version : Hello Dolly

tvadim133
11-12-2009, 21:56
Russia (Moscow) is one of few countries in which the genre of operetta is still polular.

So in Moscow there is an operetta theatre in which there sometimes they perform musicals also (other "theatre agencies" rent the stage for that).

But this time the theatre itslef has decided to do that and:

My favourite Hello Dolly now is performed in Moscow. The last time it was done in 70s in one of the drama theatres (i was a child, and still remember that).

Though I and my GF had very dual emotions about the performance. we can say, it is a good entertaiment especially at long X-mas and NY hollidays, do not miss it.

what was good:

light, decoration, costumes, orchestra were brilliant

what was not very:

Dolly Levy had more academic voice (not jazz), ballet was absolutely of operetta kind.

GaNozri
11-12-2009, 22:06
I hate musicals! The last one I've enjoyed was "Hair", if that's a musical. I was dragged to absolutely every musical on Broadway in NYC by my ex. Hated every minute of it. Especially, the way they stuff you in there like sardines. I would rather spend the $150 elsewhere. Like the MSG!

AndreyS
11-12-2009, 22:12
I hate musicals! The last one I've enjoyed was "Hair", if that's a musical. I was dragged to absolutely every musical on Broadway in NYC by my ex. Hated every minute of it. Especially, the way they stuff you in there like sardines. I would rather spend the $150 elsewhere. Like the MSG!
And you dislike Fantom of the Opera??? With that great tune?

tvadim133
11-12-2009, 22:16
Yes, the genre is not for all.

As for me, I can not say, i am fan of it either but some of them I enjoyed:

1. Fantom of the opera at London her majecty theatre was brilliant to my mind;
2. Cats was so so for me (i watched it in London as well, did not see Moscow variant though my friends liked it (they were together with their children);
3. Chicago was my favourite;
4. Notre Damme de Paris (Moscow variant) was liked by me and I watched it 3 times with great pleasure (Paris variant was absolutely the same, but in French + the consert hall was too big and not comfortable);
5. Mamma Mia (Moscow) was horrible;
6. Jesus Christ Superstar - dual emotions (more negative);
7. Count Monte Christo (Moscow) - far way from good, but good try;
8. Hello Dolly- dual emotion but more positive (may be because of connection with my childhood memory).

AndreyS
11-12-2009, 22:20
Mamma Mia in London (i.e. original version) is great and forever.
It's enthralling and amazing! People feel high in the end standing up and starting to sing along and dance!
Been there 5 times which is not enough yet!

GaNozri
11-12-2009, 22:22
Actually, Phantom of the Opera was the first musical I saw on Broadway. I expected much more from it to be honest. Very dissapointing. The only musical I enjoyed was The Soundof Music. It was the last performance by Julie Andrews before her surgery.

tvadim133
11-12-2009, 22:23
Oh, yes! I wathed only movie version, the music is brilliant.

AndreyS
11-12-2009, 22:27
Actually, Phantom of the Opera was the first musical I saw on Broadway. I expected much more from it to be honest. Very dissapointing. The only musical I enjoyed was The Soundof Music. It was the last performance by Julie Andrews before her surgery.

Oh yes, it happens. Sometimes we expect smth we just imagine and a real thing doesn't live up to our expectations... ;-(
Still, the music is spell-binding!

GaNozri
11-12-2009, 22:31
Actually, now that I think of it, I don't think it was Julie Andrews in the Sound of Music, she was definitely in Victor/Victoria. Can't remember who was in the S of M. Maybe it was her...:eh:

Anyways, I was very lucky to see her last performance. She had a great voice, unfortunately, she needed throat surgery.

tvadim133
11-12-2009, 22:38
She was in the movie exactly.

tvadim133
11-12-2009, 23:41
YouTube- Barbra Streisand in "Hello Dolly"

Carbo
13-12-2009, 02:17
Russia (Moscow) is one of few countries in which the genre of operetta is still polular.

So in Moscow there is an operetta theatre in which there sometimes they perform musicals also (other "theatre agencies" rent the stage for that).

But this time the theatre itslef has decided to do that and:

My favourite Hello Dolly now is performed in Moscow. The last time it was done in 70s in one of the drama theatres (i was a child, and still remember that).

Though I and my GF had very dual emotions about the performance. we can say, it is a good entertaiment especially at long X-mas and NY hollidays, do not miss it.

what was good:

light, decoration, costumes, orchestra were brilliant

what was not very:

Dolly Levy had more academic voice (not jazz), ballet was absolutely of operetta kind.

Where is Hello dolly being performed in Moscow?

Could you let me know? I'd like to take my girlfriend to see that.

tvadim133
13-12-2009, 12:41
"Hello, Dolly" is perfromed by and in the operetta theatre in Moscow.

The address of it is Bolshaya Dmitrovka street, 6 (Metro Teatralnaya).

" "- . (http://www.mosoperetta.ru/main/index.php?_t=224&_a=543)

That is a site in Russian, unfortunatley.

Carbo
13-12-2009, 14:53
Is it sung and acted in the original English?

Or is it a Russian adaptation?

tvadim133
13-12-2009, 15:10
Is it sung and acted in the original English?

Or is it a Russian adaptation?

It is performed in Russian (due that is for russian audience) but if you know the story, it will be easy to get pleasure out of the musical.

Carbo
13-12-2009, 19:46
It is performed in Russian (due that is for russian audience) but if you know the story, it will be easy to get pleasure out of the musical.
And the songs?

tvadim133
13-12-2009, 19:53
And the songs?

You know, it will sound quite strange if the dialogues are in russian on the stage, and then actors sing the songs in English.....

In the concert it is OK, but it is a musical play.

Ballet dances in English, sure! :agree:

Carbo
13-12-2009, 20:09
You know, it will sound quite strange if the dialogues are in russian on the stage, and then actors sing the songs in English.....

In the concert it is OK, but it is a musical play.

Ballet dances in English, sure! :agree:

Ha! That's true.

When I went to the ballet I understood literally every word.

I thought my Russian is pretty good, you know?