PDA

View Full Version : Sat Nav in Russia

drwho
10-12-2009, 10:03
I returned from a trip with a sat nav TOMTOM for driving in Moscow. It has Moscow and 42 other countries!!!

I was nervous it would work but it does. They key board is in Latin for the non Russian speaker. For 9.00 GBP, I changed the voice as I found "Kate" the computer voice to be too bossy and dull. I now have Bart Simpson telling me when to turn left or right. As signs are not so good here and if you are linguistically challenged like me, sat nav is a god send and a drivers blessing. I highly recommend the latest TOMTOM. Just a tip. :idea:

:10475: duh turn left I said !!!!

Wodin
10-12-2009, 10:08
Which TomTom have you got? I use a Garmin Nuvi and while it has the Russia maps it does not have the Europe ones (and can't seem to have them either). I use an old tomtom when driving in europe, but am thinking of getting a new "all in one" TomTom now...

drwho
10-12-2009, 10:51
Which TomTom have you got? I use a Garmin Nuvi and while it has the Russia maps it does not have the Europe ones (and can't seem to have them either). I use an old tomtom when driving in europe, but am thinking of getting a new "all in one" TomTom now...

TOMTOM Go 750 Europe 45 Traffic cost about 250 GBP. I should mention its takes about 1 hr to travel 15 KM here in Moscow in the week but TOMTOM is invaluable when out and about at the weekend in less traffic as it takes you right to the door of your destination and since often there is no sign (even if you could read Russian) its a brilliant to have here.

I only drive at weekends here!! I wish to remain calm.

:10475: "duh keep calm driver this is Moscow driving and traffic !! have a doughnut"

Valmor
20-03-2010, 01:08
Tomtom is nice but not for Moscow. It has lots of discrepancies and not updated so often. I would suggest for Moscow, local-made stuff like Navitel or Autosputnik.

Judge
22-03-2010, 17:11
That's cool, Bart Simpson giving directions..
If I knew about this before I would have bought a TOMTOM,I bought a Garmin instead...
Would be awesome if Bender gives directions..

onlygod
23-03-2010, 22:43
I'm using a Garmin Nuvi, I have latest Roads of Russia maps (www.navicom.ru), I am really surprised how good it is. I also have Europe 2010 and used it this winter during my road trip around Europe and it was also 100% correct, I couldn't be more happier.

And yes, I agree, I couldn't survive without a GPS in Russia (it helps with road rules so you don't turn into 1 way streets). I also have it with me when I go for a walk, it's perfect for finding the nearest metro station.

Judge
24-03-2010, 11:47
How do you get lane assist like in this video to work..

YouTube- Garmin Nuvi 785T Junction View Demo

I have Garmin 1350,says comes with lane assist..
this is the only lane assist I can see.
Top left corner.
http://www.gpsmagazine.com/assets/nuvi765_lane-assit-with-arrows.jpg

I want it like this..

http://www.satellitenavigation.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/lane-assist-function1.jpg

Maybe the the one i've got doesn't have this type of lane assist..:(

drwho
24-03-2010, 13:55
If I knew about this before I would have bought a TOMTOM,I bought a Garmin instead...

Bart does get it wrong and sends you in an eternal turn left loop: "tuuuuuuuuuuuurn left" Give yourself a pat on the back because you are a genius" he says !!!

onlygod
24-03-2010, 22:04
How do you get lane assist like in this video to work..

YouTube- Garmin Nuvi 785T Junction View Demo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buBIDeluRmw)

I have Garmin 1350,says comes with lane assist..
this is the only lane assist I can see.
Top left corner.
http://www.gpsmagazine.com/assets/nuvi765_lane-assit-with-arrows.jpg

I want it like this..

http://www.satellitenavigation.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/lane-assist-function1.jpg

Maybe the the one i've got doesn't have this type of lane assist..:(

You need good maps for lane assist to work. It should work with Europe 2010 maps in Europe. :)

I don't have lane assist feature, but for example, when I was in Paris this winter with the complicated roads and lots of tunnels, it was great, on the motorway going around the city it would tell me: exit to the right while keeping left, so I know to take the next exit, but to keep in the left lane of the exit, not the right one because I'll need the left lane next.

In 10 days I drove 4000km around Austria, south Germany up to Netherlands, Belgium, Paris, Luxembourg and back through Germany. Lots of countries, lots of strange roads and never did I have a problem where the GPS said something wrong or too late. I made all the turns with enough warning from the GPS, never having to make dangerous maneuvers.

It's all down to the detail of the maps you have.

zimbo
01-04-2010, 23:48
All,
I bought a Russian Sat Nav.
Software=NAVTEL
The device is not important...depends what you like.. I bought a LEXAND si-515...but there are different manufactures and different sizes.

I'm quite happy with the Software.
1.) It shows the adresses like dom/korpus ... which is really important if you have the adress and search for the house 34/6
When I bought mine (~10 month ago) TomTom and Garmin could not provide this function... I don't know about the current ones.

2.) it comes with maps for whole Russia and updates for free (frequent updates for Moscow)

3.) It has a speedtrap alert function.. .which shows you where the police checks are located ... or usually located... updates for the speedtraps are available as well

4.) You can change the commands to every voice... If you want you can record your own voice and play it...Just name the way files like the ones which come with the Software and you're fine...

Things like hands-free function ...transmitter, etc. are depending on the device model....

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
Zimbo

onlygod
04-04-2010, 22:05
1.) It shows the adresses like dom/korpus ... which is really important if you have the adress and search for the house 34/6
When I bought mine (~10 month ago) TomTom and Garmin could not provide this function... I don't know about the current ones.

My Garmin has all the dom/korpus.
I've been looking at some of the Russian Sat Navs and they are quite good and the maps are good as well. I think now, the devices are finally user friendly and fast to the point that everyone can use them and the maps are good enough that you don't have problems.

Judge
04-04-2010, 23:06
My Garmin is p*ssing me off...I bought original map for Russia(about 1400ru),all worked fine for a few weeks but now my Garmin doesn't read the map of Russia..I'm taking it back to get looked at..

FatAndy
05-04-2010, 14:59
Judge,

If you have Russian map on the separate SD(microSD) card, then maybe smth wrong with gold contacts - dirty or other. Try to do the following:

1) Prepare sheet of paper, pure spiritus and clean cotton swabstick (cosmetic one, being used to pick nose or ear). Wash your hands with soap.

2) Touch big metal object (PC chassis, water radiator, naked grounding contact in power outlet) to drop static electricity

3) Switch off Nav device. Pull out or click out the card to the sheet of paper on the table. Place contacts side up.

4) Using swab wet with spiritus, wipe contacts thoroughly. Let it dry, then repeat procedure with new swab/spiritus. Let it dry finally

5) Carefully insert card back into Nav device.

6) Reset the device (or full power off/on).

7) If no positive result, refer to Nav device service center.

Rhubard Geoff
05-04-2010, 18:45

I got the TOMTOM 750 and downloaded Samantha from Sex in the City. I don't take it in the car I just listen to it at home......

BUell_X1
16-04-2010, 13:43
I use the Tomtom 920 (now 950) since 1 1/2 years in Moscow with map form the US/ Canada an Europe (including Moscow- European Russia) .

It is nice and shows me the lanes, but once you try to use it outside of Moscow it is not good at all, as you have to point out on the map where you want to get ? Can even find the town of "Vladimir".

And to be honest the Tomtom is really useless has a everyday use GPS, Navigon is a much better product but no map for Russia .... Well from the last I heard from them ...