PDA

View Full Version : Literary, Theoretical or Fictitious Places You Would Like to Visit...

85StoneWhiteFurball
25-01-2005, 12:42
If you had a chance to visit a place that may or may not exist (or is completely fictitious), but is depicted in literature or is connected with religious beliefs or legends of old, what place(s) would it be?

For me, it would be hell and heaven, in that order. I do not believe in either, but if they do exist, I would like to go down to the boiler room for a couple of days and speak to some of the residents there - the mass murderers, the gangsters, the psycho killers, the plundering despots - and see what they are really like as well as what motivated them. Needless to say, I would like see the tortures of hell - I'd like to know if *hitler really does bathe in nitric acid twice a day and then dries off by being roasted on a spit at 600 Kelvin.

Then I would like to go to heaven and see who is really there and how they are being treated, and how they ended up there. And of course I'd compare notes as to who is having a better time :).

DPG
25-01-2005, 12:46
Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory for an everlasting gobstopper!

Narnia sounded pretty interesting too if I remember correctly!

DJ Biscuit
25-01-2005, 12:47
Up for the Narnia trip too.

Sidney Bliss
25-01-2005, 12:49
Originally posted by DPG
Narnia sounded pretty interesting too if I remember correctly!

Outlaw is there as we speak.

DPG
25-01-2005, 12:51
LOL!!

He's doing the Lonely Planet Guide to Narnia - he'll get $0.15 for every copy sold...

He says he is also branching out into the wardrobe business when he returns to Moscow!

Shatneresque
25-01-2005, 12:57
First century Rome of the histories of Suetonius and the novels of Robert Graves.

Arthurian Britain (the historical one on which the legends are based) and the Ireland of the earliest Celtic literature.

Scandinavia, Northern Europe, and the North Atlantic of the Viking sagas.

Twelfth century England of the Robin Hood legends.

Seventeenth century England of Stevensen's Treasure Island.

Eighteenth century England of the Poldark novels and the old "Scarecrow of Romney Marsh" serial.

Eighteenth century Britain/Europe of Barry Lyndon.

The United Federation of Planets of the 23rd century, from "ST:TOS."

Mookla
25-01-2005, 12:58
Middle Earth --
Valhalla --
The Matrix--

Bora Bora
Any planet other than ours
I would love to be able to dive several miles deep in the oceans with only scuba gear.

DPG
25-01-2005, 13:02
The places which apparently exist in Sweden, where one only has to pretend to be a plumber and immediately gets jumped on by 4 nubile young women...!:D

DJ Biscuit
25-01-2005, 13:09
May 9th 1995 London, the day I decided to move to Moscow. Chance to change my mind! ;)

Gavin
25-01-2005, 13:09
Any Tom & Jerry or Roadrunner cartoon.

sfjohns67
25-01-2005, 13:23
I'd like to go to Walnut Grove, the town setting for Little House On The Prairie. I'd specifically like to go back to the episode when Mary Ingalls first starts wearing glasses and all the kids are teasing her, particularly Willie and Nellie Olsen. I'd beat the crap out of all those mean kids, and beautiful blue-eyed Mary would fall in love with me. Plus, I'd know about all this cool future stuff like salad bars and deoderant, which would impress everybody.

DJ Biscuit
25-01-2005, 13:28
Originally posted by sfjohns67
Plus, I'd know about all this cool future stuff like salad bars and deoderant, which would impress everybody.

Still does where you're from. ;)

Outlaw
25-01-2005, 13:32
Originally posted by Sidney Bliss
Outlaw is there as we speak.
Shah! I'm on a boat on a river with tangerine trees and marmalade skies, cellaphane flowers of yellow and green towering over my head.

Shatneresque
25-01-2005, 13:37
I'd like to go to Walnut Grove, the town setting for Little House On The Prairie. I'd specifically like to go back to the episode when Mary Ingalls first starts wearing glasses and all the kids are teasing her, particularly Willie and Nellie Olsen. I'd beat the crap out of all those mean kids, and beautiful blue-eyed Mary would fall in love with me.

Mary Ingalls, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Kick the Olsens while they're down for me!

sfjohns67
25-01-2005, 13:40
Originally posted by DJ Biscuit
Still does where you're from. ;) Gee, that stings. In fact, it shames me about as much as the time I got caught putting makeup on my naked butt and pretending it was Shirley Temple singing "Good Ship Lollipop."

DJ Biscuit
25-01-2005, 13:42
putting makeup on my ass and pretending it was Shirley Temple singing "Good Ship Lollipop."

The singing mule!

Ghost
25-01-2005, 14:04
Nevernever land.

DJ Biscuit
25-01-2005, 14:08
Ghost, I hope you refer to Never Never Land in Peter Pan and not as in Micheal Jackson's home!

sfjohns67
25-01-2005, 14:14
Whoa, glad I'm not the only one who was a bit worried about that!

yankee@moscow
25-01-2005, 14:48
What's the name of that place that Wonder Woman is supposedly from where the tall great looking Amazon women do all of the work and the men get to stay home and take care of things? Maybe it's called "Paradise Island"? Anyway, I'm all over it!:thumbsup:

http://www.greatkrypton.com/kc/characters/wonderwoman.jpg

sparky
25-01-2005, 14:57
twilight zone

jules
25-01-2005, 15:06
Discworld - a flat land on the back of four elephants standing on a turtle's shell, where magic overrides reason.

Sparafucile
26-01-2005, 00:12
I'd be tooling up to Thule (the Period Of Cosmography).

The country estate of the Larin family, neighbours to the eccentric Mr Onegin (Ol'ga is still up for grabs and sounds way nicer than her dopey sister).

Tel al-Amarna during the reign of Akhenaten.

Imperial Beijing during the (fictional) reign of Emperor Altoum. So I can say "His secret name is Calaf, now I get to shag Her Imperial Highness Princess Turandot, we don't have to listen the reprise of that bloody aria again, and you can all get some sleep at last!"

Claude Bottom
26-01-2005, 00:14
Hobbiton. For the pipe weed. :D You smoking these days, Mr Polar Bear ?

tbill
26-01-2005, 00:28
A holosuite;)

Mookla
26-01-2005, 01:56
Oooh almost forgot about hanging out with Chode and more importantly Six in Tripping the Rift.

koba65
26-01-2005, 02:39
Gee, that stings. In fact, it shames me about as much as the time I got caught putting makeup on my naked butt and pretending it was Shirley Temple singing "Good Ship Lollipop."

The real shame about that is that the above described incident happened last year....

Big Bugga
26-01-2005, 03:32
hmmm...I think Xanth...yes Xanth would be a most interesting place to visit.

bugga'

koba65
26-01-2005, 05:51
Hungry Duck circa 1996 (and every night is ladies night).

Sadie
26-01-2005, 07:43
Originally posted by DJ Biscuit
May 9th 1995 London, the day I decided to move to Moscow. Chance to change my mind! ;)
i wonder whether it was the Victory parade in the Red Square that inspired you to make this rash step, DJ, you are such a sentimental guyee :p

I want to go to prison for a couple of weeks, just to see from the inside what it's like there. Just curious.

I'd like to live on a desert island for a month too (together with my husband only though). Or in Goa or New Zeland in a lil cozy house for a month, which is more realistic :)

85StoneWhiteFurball
26-01-2005, 08:46
Originally posted by Sadie

I want to go to prison for a couple of weeks, just to see from the inside what it's like there. Just curious.

I'd like to live on a desert island for a month too (together with my husband only though). Or in Goa or New Zeland in a lil cozy house for a month, which is more realistic :)

Literary, Theoretical or Fictitious Places You Would Like to Visit is what this thread is about. Prison, and New Zealand, are unfortunately quite real.

Sadie
26-01-2005, 09:00
blin, pardon, I am not too much of a fictious literary dreamer, I only dream of down to earth things like prison :eh:
You should rename your thread I reckon now. Why DJ can post about Moscow and I can't? :eh: :suspect: :cry:

85StoneWhiteFurball
26-01-2005, 09:03
Originally posted by Sadie
blin, pardon, I am not too much of a fictious literary dreamer, I only dream of down to earth things like prison :eh:

Dream of prison? Sounds like a nightmare to me!

Big Bugga
27-01-2005, 03:05
womens prison..I got a few choice films abou that in my collection...I can see the attraction....I wonder if the films I have are accurate?

bugga'

Shatneresque
27-01-2005, 12:48
Originally posted by Big Bugga
womens prison..I got a few choice films abou that in my collection...I can see the attraction....I wonder if the films I have are accurate?

Kittens in a Can, for example...? :evilgrin:

Sparafucile
28-01-2005, 00:08
"Prisoner, Cell-Block H".

Das ist der ewiger Kunst

Hephzibah
28-01-2005, 00:15
Middle Earth
Narnia
Fantasia
and strawberry shortcake land..(remember the dolls?) where everyone smells of a different delight!

Shatneresque
28-01-2005, 12:04
"The Village...!"

zerkalo
28-01-2005, 12:25
Apteka nearest to the Hungry Duck circa 1996, running the antibiotics counter