PDA

View Full Version : Fluent English

FlakeySnowballer
04-12-2009, 14:40
I have a question. What does "fluent English" mean?
English without domestic accessent? Right grammar? Ability to talk to different subjects (from phisics to biology e.t.c)?:10455:

Wodin
04-12-2009, 14:58
Fluent is when one can speak in a language freely, without having to 'search" for words and with proper grammer as it would be currently in use. Accent is not a factor in fluency (as long as its not too strong as to make the words difficult to understand).

Take the Scots for instance. Many of them have a very strong accent, but we still consider them to be fluent in English, except that some Scots have such a strong accent that they are not.

MickeyTong
04-12-2009, 15:18
Take the Scots for instance. Many of them have a very strong accent, but we still consider them to be fluent in English, except that some Scots have such a strong accent that they are not.

YouTube- Broad scottish accent scots strong Scots dialect

FlakeySnowballer
04-12-2009, 15:43
Thank you :wavey:

So even afro americans from Harlem have fluent english

Well that is why i asked. My friend learned English via MID. She graduated from upper intermediat level. I asked her: what about fluent level? She told me: fluent depends on there you work know. If you biological worker you will learn all about these if you work as a transport engineer you will learn about e.t.c

Bels
04-12-2009, 20:57
As a teacher, wrong pronounciation within reason , wrong grammar etc is allowed. A teacher wont't interrup unless you are misunderstood. And if you continue having a conversation and you all understand each other perfectly. that is fluency. But don't take too long about it. Didn't you have discussions in your English lessons. In fluency discussions all you all need to do is keep talking in English and fully understand each other. By the way , the educated Scots speak much more crealy than the English. The English don't pronounce the T nor the RRRRRRRRRRRR English say Obot and the Scots say RRobot. And how many English can pronounce Lochlomand or Loch. No it is not Lock!

Bels
04-12-2009, 21:05
Thank you :wavey:

So even afro americans from Harlem have fluent english

Well that is why i asked. My friend learned English via MID. She graduated from upper intermediat level. I asked her: what about fluent level? She told me: fluent depends on there you work know. If you biological worker you will learn all about these if you work as a transport engineer you will learn about e.t.c

Many Africans speak English as a first language due to history, North and South. North in many parts. The only difference is accent, strange sounds indeed , but native English. But if they are chatting away and each local person fully understands each other, phrases, slang and everything together, that is fluency. So fluency is when certain groups of the same language fully understand each other in a conversation? then that is fluency. And when they are all speaking comfortably to each other at acomfortable and enjoyable pace. Now that is fluency. No I haven't cheated, as I could haven't read a dictionary in this case, and in this case it all top of my head stuff. But I bet the dictionary states something similar.