PDA

View Full Version : Duty Free Ripoffs

RIKO
22-01-2005, 13:50
Some advice and a warning to all: there a scam in the duty free at Sheremetyevo when you pay with a credit card ! Prices are displayed in Euro and you anticipate this charge on your credit card. But NO, what happens is that the shop works out it's own ruble conversion rate and charges your card in rubles. NET EFFECT: you pay about 10% more than quoted on the display price.

This is a ****** little scam. BEWARE !

<Please refrain from using swear words--Mod>

85StoneWhiteFurball
22-01-2005, 13:54
There are at least 2 and perhaps 3 DF operators in Sheremetyevo. PortAlliance is straight and bills at an honest rate - I just bought there and was billed exactly what I should have been. Are you talking about Aerofirst? That is a sleaze operation now that the Irish have left, and what you are describing sounds like something they would pull. I never would use my card at Aerofirst as I don't trust the present managementashvili to process it honestly and it seems as if my suspicions are correct.

In addition, Aerofirst perfumery prices are now worse than many deals available in town. Liquor can still be worthwhile, but not the way it once was.

RIKO
22-01-2005, 14:08
The Irish still appear in the Aeroflot in flight duty free magazine ? Have they left this venture ?

85StoneWhiteFurball
22-01-2005, 14:09
I always thought they did - in any case the real power is in the hands of a mid 90's style racket. If the Irish are there, they are in the background.

Benedikt
22-01-2005, 14:16
..very few items at ANY duty free are realy that cheap(er) to make it a worthwile buy, maybe with the exception of cigarettes and alkohol.

Olim
22-01-2005, 15:28
Perfume and make up is also a lot cheaper at duty free, even Sheremetyevo.

Personally, I dont bother with duty free alcohol anymore coz when I go back to Britain, it's always cheaper in the supermarkets anyway.

For the main airport of such a huge city, Sheremetyevo is a crappy little airport which I wouldn't want to spend my money in anyway.

85StoneWhiteFurball
22-01-2005, 15:39
Not last Friday - men's cologne was selling for prices similar to Arbat Prestige at Sheremetyevo Aerofirst. I would not be too familiar with makeup prices.

Halyavshik
22-01-2005, 17:35
Isn't there a law that states that all fees rendered for goods and services with the territory of the Russian Federation HAVE to be in Rubles ?

I'm not sure if that applies to Duty Free or not, but I would bet it does.

DPG
22-01-2005, 17:50
Originally posted by Halyavshik
Isn't there a law that states that all fees rendered for goods and services with the territory of the Russian Federation HAVE to be in Rubles ?

I'm not sure if that applies to Duty Free or not, but I would bet it does.

Yes there is, which make me wonder if what the original poster thought were Euros, weren't in fact Y.E. for which vendors and retailers can decide which ever rouble conversion rate they wish...

Alice
22-01-2005, 18:15
why cant i view results :(
it says i dont have permission :(

jheisel
22-01-2005, 18:40
Originally posted by DPG
Yes there is, which make me wonder if what the original poster thought were Euros, weren't in fact Y.E. for which vendors and retailers can decide which ever rouble conversion rate they wish...

Last time I was in SVO (November/December), prices were indeed listed as E15 or Ewhatever. I'm sure they're not using the actual CBR exchange rate, though, so it is essentially an UE.

pengwn9
22-01-2005, 19:26
I wanted to buy an expensive cosmetic at the SVO2 duty free. Of course there is the glitzy counter display and product testers, and of course, like everywhere else in Moscow I've tried to buy this product--they were out of it. I have come to believe that in fact, even with all fancy displays and sales girls, many of the products in these expensive cosmetic lines, are never available here. It's all just for show.

veejay
22-01-2005, 22:17
Have to say that buying single malts there is much less expensive than in normal shops -- here, there...well, darn near anywhere...Have never bought cosmetics in a duty free shop so have no idea...Ah well....

85StoneWhiteFurball
23-01-2005, 00:43
Originally posted by veejay
Have to say that buying single malts there is much less expensive than in normal shops -- here, there...well, darn near anywhere...Have never bought cosmetics in a duty free shop so have no idea...Ah well....

You can get good deals on single malts in NYC when competing stores are having price wars, but the sales tend to be limited to the most well known ones (Glenfiddich and Glenlivet). My favourite deal in Port Alliance (S**tyevo) is Glenfarclas 105 UK proof (60 volume) cask strength. My card was just billed 1000 odd RUR for 1 litre (cannot remember the price in EURO but I think it was 28 EUR) - in town 750 mls sells for over 3000 RUR and on a US website the litre goes for 76.36 USD.