PDA

View Full Version : When dealing with the Russian police...

Sparafucile
21-01-2005, 23:32
Please let us know how you approach the situation, prior to them explaining why they want to speak to you....

DPG
22-01-2005, 01:44
After 3 years in Moscow, countless document checks, the police coming to my last flat because the neighbours informed them that foreigners were living there, and one arrest for having forgotten my passport when I commited the henious crime of going to the supermarket, my answer is the second option above...and then some...

CaveMan
22-01-2005, 05:02
I wonder if anyone gonna choose option 1????

85StoneWhiteFurball
22-01-2005, 11:14
Originally posted by Erol Ver
I wonder if anyone gonna choose option 1????

One "gotkafa" did (no, it was not me - I've paid my share to the menti over the years) - probably just to get attention.

pengwn9
22-01-2005, 13:00
What have they been feeding the militsia lately? They've been on a roll.

In the last 3 weeks I've hear more stories of various shakedowns than I've heard in the last year. What, did their paychecks bounce or something? Seems like everybody I've talked to lately has been ripped off, hauled in, Metro ticket checked, or document frisked. What's going on with this?

85StoneWhiteFurball
22-01-2005, 13:41
They are always very active around holiday time. It is usually the only time I am ever stopped.

boscoe
23-01-2005, 14:09
I was stopped in a car (gypsy cab) twice last week... just thought I'd been unlucky, I must say however that after they had looked at my docs they didn't try the usual shakedown.

yankee@moscow
23-01-2005, 14:11
I try not to "deal" with the Russian police. I try to "avoid" Russian police. I'd feel safer walking through Harlem with $100 bills sticking out of my pockets than asking Moscow policemen for directions. They all aren't bad, but you don't know which ones are bad and which ones aren't. I've met some very good policemen in Moscow, but usually the bad ones are horribly bad, and you don't want to be stuck in the wrong place with them, period!

I remember watching a man with no legs pushing himself around on a skateboard over by Kurskaya metro one day. He had been drinking and was obviously helpless. An older babushka who looked like she lived on the street was robbing him. He was screaming for help as she was hitting him and rummaging through his pockets. There was a policeman 10 meters from them watching the whole thing. Not only did he not do anything, he watched the whole thing laughing and let the woman go. I can guarantee you that if I would have went over there to try and help the poor guy that was being robbed that I would have been the one who ended up being hauled off! Moscow's finest in action!

That's only one of many wonderful Moscow Police stories I'm sure that we all could tell.

jcookeman
23-01-2005, 19:19
Oh God....why am I...

Leslie Presley
23-01-2005, 21:10
................moving to Moscow?

jcookeman
23-01-2005, 21:24
lol

tbill
23-01-2005, 21:46
Originally posted by yankee@moscow
I try not to "deal" with the Russian police. I try to "avoid" Russian police. I'd feel safer walking through Harlem with $100 bills sticking out of my pockets than asking Moscow policemen for directions. They all aren't bad, but you don't know which ones are bad and which ones aren't. I've met some very good policemen in Moscow, but usually the bad ones are horribly bad, and you don't want to be stuck in the wrong place with them, period!

I remember watching a man with no legs pushing himself around on a skateboard over by Kurskaya metro one day. He had been drinking and was obviously helpless. An older babushka who looked like she lived on the street was robbing him. He was screaming for help as she was hitting him and rummaging through his pockets. There was a policeman 10 meters from them watching the whole thing. Not only did he not do anything, he watched the whole thing laughing and let the woman go. I can guarantee you that if I would have went over there to try and help the poor guy that was being robbed that I would have been the one who ended up being hauled off! Moscow's finest in action!

That's only one of many wonderful Moscow Police stories I'm sure that we all could tell.

Thanks a lot jerk, that was me. Remind me to roll over your toes sometime. :mad:

yankee@moscow
23-01-2005, 22:28
Originally posted by tbill
Thanks a lot jerk, that was me. Remind me to roll over your toes sometime. :mad:

What the hell were you drinkin anyway?

tbill
24-01-2005, 00:57
Originally posted by yankee@moscow
What the hell were you drinkin anyway?

Paint thinner, the old bitch stole my last ruble, though. Now I am rolling drunks at Boarhouse.

sparky
25-01-2005, 11:02
Just interested (not had any contact with the Police since I have been here, just lucky i guess) of the 91% who assumed the police would be dishonest, what % actual had a dishonest experince?

DJ Biscuit
25-01-2005, 12:23
I didn't vote either way, but have had dishonest 'experiences'.

Gavin
25-01-2005, 12:27
Originally posted by ElectricDave
Just interested (not had any contact with the Police since I have been here, just lucky i guess) of the 91% who assumed the police would be dishonest, what % actual had a dishonest experince?

I'd say about 50% of the times I've been stopped, they've stung me, but most of those have been driving about in the provinces (way out).

We were in Moscow over Orthadox Christmas, and it was predictably hooching with Police, but we didn't experience any problems at all.

sfjohns67
25-01-2005, 13:25
Tfu tfu tfu, but I've only had a single dishonest experience, and the guy was so jovial and nice about it that I didn't really care. Plus, I really WAS in the wrong - hadn't gotten my visa registered, so I guess it could have been an awful lot worse than the 200r "fine" I gave him.

DJ Biscuit
25-01-2005, 13:27
You need to get out more.

Ghost
25-01-2005, 13:31
Had dishonest experiences about 50% of the time. The other time I actually did something wrong (traffic violation). But ALL times when they were paid, they just pocketed the money anyway - which is dishonest altogether.

veejay
25-01-2005, 13:49
I've only been stopped for document checks a handful of times in the past 5+ years. But, a recent experience freaked me out beyond belief.

On early Sunday morning, after being out and about clubbing, my flatmate and I made one final stop at Club Mix. Got there, were told we needed a card to get in, and as we were phoning are friends inside, about 20 to 30 militsia ran up to the place with semi-automatics, parked a van in front of the archway and would not allow us to leave. My flatmate was told to sit in the van (b/c he was telling our friends inside about this all), and I was told to stand by a wall and wait. Ten maybe 1 minutes later, a plainclothesman walks up and asks me if I had been inside (no), and if I was going inside (well...not now). Then he asked me 'what' drugs I was on (that is, not if I was on any drugs). I was not. He asked me if I was a foreigner and then asked to see my docs. My immigration card was not on me b/c it was being registered. He honestly didn't seem to care about that at all.

Gave me back my docs, then took me to the doctor who was sitting in the ambulance outside the club. She then asks me 'what drugs' I am on, and when I say none, she says...'well...we'll see'. Tells me to look up, then close my eyes, then look at her. Then she says...'You've just had way too much to drink tonight, eh?'...Well, yes. And that was it.

They checked out my flatmate, and let him go as well. As we were waiting for our friends inside to get out, we watched as people were put into a van, and as others came out looking somewhat shocked or confused as to what was really happening. Our friends who were inside said it was just plain scary. They were randomonly pointing to some and letting them go. Shining flashlights in others' eyes, and carting people away. All under the careful watch of guys with semis...

I've heard about this happening before, but it was the first time I had the misfortune of witnessing it. YZHAS!!!

Hawk
25-01-2005, 14:03
Assume your innocent....................
be polite

DJ Biscuit
25-01-2005, 16:41
Oops...

http://uk.download.yahoo.com/ne/fu/oa/negligence1.mpeg

boscoe
25-01-2005, 16:52
a blonde female with a gun... who’d have guessed that could happen?

(lowers head and prepares for incoming)

:D

DPG
25-01-2005, 17:27
Fat too!!:D

DJ Biscuit
25-01-2005, 17:30
And.....anyone, anyone want to say it no?

boscoe
25-01-2005, 17:37
I wonder where she was from :confused:

Halyavshik
25-01-2005, 17:42
Originally posted by boscoe
I wonder where she was from :confused:

Clearly a British immigrant.

DJ Biscuit
25-01-2005, 17:48
Wow. That was from out of the blue, and so uncalled for. It's sunk to that has it?

Sad. Low.

boscoe
26-01-2005, 14:19
I'd love to have heard the commentary after that - notice how she put the gun back in the holster quite sharpish -

"gunshot......... you heard a gunshot?"

DJ Biscuit
26-01-2005, 14:25
LOL!

''You have the right to remain silent''

''I said you have the right to remain silent''

''To remain where you are''

Gavin
27-01-2005, 15:09
I thought maybe she 'accidentaly' pulled the trigger.

Maybe he bum was itchy, and she had to squirm?