PDA

View Full Version : Bereavement Fares

jl321
20-01-2005, 09:38
Has anyone ever tried to get a bereavement fare from Moscow to the States? A family member died yesterday and I have called five airlines so far. Four never heard of such a thing (how that is possible I don't know) and one said they offered a bereavement fare in the form of less restrictions. The reduced restriction was "free" return date changes. Although this feature was "free" that fare was over $500 more than the lowest possible fare. The only difference between the two was one had a return date change "free" and one had a $150 charge for it. What am I missing here?

Anyway, back to my original question. It appears that international airlines that offer bereavement fares within their home country don't offer them internationally. Does anyone have a different experience with this?

veejay
20-01-2005, 09:53
First of all, my sincere condolensces for your loss. Sad news...

Whilst I haven't had experience with trying to get bereavement fare from here, previously, I had to show the obituaray when leaving after the funeral to get the discounted fare. The airline originally wanted a death certificate, which seemed a bit extreme, and which we didn't actually have when I was flying home.

Perhaps another angle would be to call the US numbers for those airlines you potentially would be travelling on to see if they might help out. Not sure either if this would help out -- just an idea.

Deepest sympathies.

85StoneWhiteFurball
20-01-2005, 09:54
Try a US travel agent that could then issue your tik here perhaps - sorry to hear of your loss.

Ghost
20-01-2005, 09:55
Delta has them last I checked.

My condolences.

jl321
20-01-2005, 10:01
Thanks for your condolences.

The one airline that offered the bereavement fare in the form of a "free" return date change was Delta.

I hadn't thought of trying a US agent though. Thanks for the idea.