PDA

View Full Version : Repairing Boot Zippers

MissAnnElk
17-11-2009, 19:07
I went out: the boots were fine.

I came home: the boots were fine.

A few hours later, I could not get the zipper to work and had to wear another pair of shoes.

I have since examined the zipper more closely under brighter lights and while wearing my glasses and there is something wrong with the teeth.

If I take this to one of the bigger shoe repair places, do you think they can replace the zipper?

Moskauerin
17-11-2009, 20:56
Hi! It depends on how the zipper is sewn in. If it is easy to dismantle it, then it will be easy to sew in a new zipper. Or otherwise they will have to do smth to its teeth. Anyway, you can learn only if you go and show them these boots.

drwho
17-11-2009, 21:54
I went out: the boots were fine.

I came home: the boots were fine.

A few hours later, I could not get the zipper to work and had to wear another pair of shoes.

I have since examined the zipper more closely under brighter lights and while wearing my glasses and there is something wrong with the teeth.

If I take this to one of the bigger shoe repair places, do you think they can replace the zipper?

No but they can replace the boot!! .....Here you pay your money and take your chance. :groan:

tukiva
17-11-2009, 22:24
they will replace the zipper, it is their every-day duty ( i always change zippers of my daughter's boots, have no idea what you do with them)

FatAndy
18-11-2009, 11:59
2 MissAnnElk:
do you think they can replace the zipper? - surely. I carry sometimes my wife' and daughter boots to shoe repair near my home and ask them to change those zippers. It is around 200 rub there. But I recommend you to inspect wear degree on the second zipper of the pair. Maybe it would be good idea to do symmetric and change both. Especially if moving parts look different in old and new ones.

2 drwho:
No but they can replace the boot!! - only in 30 days after purchase, according to local trade rules.

MissAnnElk
18-11-2009, 12:39
These are not new boots.

Okay! Thanks. I suspected the repair places could swap out a zipper (I had that done for a pair in the US, but didn't want to wait until I got there). And since so many Russian women have knee-high boots, surely it happens all the time!

I can wear them . . . I was able to get the zipper up PAST the problem area. I just can't UNZIP it all the way. But I can jam my foot into the boot in the short run (and I do love these boots . . . SO comfortable).

So. How do I say "zipper" in Russian?

Moskauerin
18-11-2009, 13:01
Zipper in Russian is "molniya" (BTW the same word as "lightning" during a thunderstorm - you see how poetic our language is!). :)

FatAndy
18-11-2009, 13:46
I just can't UNZIP it all the way. But I can jam my foot into the boot in the short run - bad idea indeed, just say to these shoe repair guys - pomeniaite molniyu, pozhaluista, - as Moskauerin recommended. It is usual procedure, nothing specific. Only a problem can be colour - if you have green/blue/red/white boots I'm doubtful if they have appropriate colors - usually black and brown.

tzaritsa
18-11-2009, 14:03
I have to change "molniya" sometimes.Its not nesessery to chane molniya at the second boot they can change the mooving part-"zamok" for boots to look equal.Very good snue repairing is at Degtyarny pereulok at "Pushkinskaya".Sorry,dont remember the adress.Its just dehind the construction at the beginning of the pereulok on your left hand.

Elina Vladi
18-11-2009, 14:44
Our repair guys can do impossible things with boots!!!!! :-) It depends on to which repair you are going to carry and your exact explanation what u want to be done with your boots and which material should be used! if you don't tell it them, they make their own choice.
I recommend to carry 2 boots , they will check them, find there is a problems and can show what they can do with your boots (show a new zipper if it is needed, if u don't like it, you can say no and go to another repair).

amalenkaya
04-12-2009, 21:08
The same thing recently happened to my boots. How long does zipper repair usually take? A few hours? A day? A few days?

FatAndy
11-12-2009, 11:43
It depends. On your boots construction, daytime, workload of the repairing guy, his attitude, stars position etc. But usually full zipper change - from one hour to one day. If your zipper runner is broken - several minutes to install new.