PDA

View Full Version : Pest Sauce Recipe needed

ghost 6-3
17-01-2005, 14:03
I need a really good pesto recipe, and a list of where to find the ingredients.

Thanks

ChillPill
17-01-2005, 14:09
The name of your thread is just marvelous!

trebor
17-01-2005, 14:18
2 cups fresh green basil leaves, packed
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup virgin Olive oil
3 tablespoons pine nuts, roasted.
3 garlic cloves
Salt and freshly milled black pepper to taste
Place together in a food processor and blend leaving the mixture course.

Mookla
17-01-2005, 18:40
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cups fresh basil leaves, stems removed, washed and dried
3 tablespoons pine nuts (pignolia)
1 dash salt and pepper
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup grated Parmesan or even better parmesan/pecorino blend

Procedure:

Start by adding basil, garlic, salt, and pine nuts to a mortar and pestel grinding them to a paste. Pound in the cheese. Finally whisk in the oil until you have the desired consistency. If you dont have the time, or the mortar and pestal, you can use a food processor or blender but pesto is really supposed to be 'bruised' basil as opposed to pureed.
If you do use the blender/foodprocessor combine the ingredients combine everything but the oil and cheese and get it all chopped up then add half the oli and the cheese and then slowly drizzle in the remainder of the oil.

Benedikt
17-01-2005, 20:04
check pm, my tip there for pesto sauce
benedikt

CaveMan
17-01-2005, 20:57
hmmm sounds delicious..I must try these recipies !!!

Shatneresque
18-01-2005, 11:40
Fresh basil is now available in little plastic bags in the Fruit & Veg section at Ramstore and Perekrestok, for sure.

Parmesan, Romano, Pecorino, Grana Padano, and other sharp Italian cheeses also available at most supermarkets (just bought some at 7th Continent).

Pine nuts are available almost everywhere now, shelled, in little plastic bags next to the peanuts, pistachios, etc., in many stores.

For olive oil, recommend you use Extra Virgin grade ONLY. This has a deep green color, a lovely aroma, and a ripe flavor. Like different wines, the bouquet of the oil will vary from one brand to another.

Other grades of oil are, at best, tasteless; at worst, revolting.

Black pepper should, of course, be freshly ground. Recommend you use sea salt exclusively in your cooking. It contains a variety of natural minerals, including iodine.

trebor
18-01-2005, 12:40
Good advice Shatneresque,
but in the summer try shopping in the rynok where these items will be fresh and a lot less than at the super market.
(Parmesan and extra virgin excluded of course)

Shatneresque
20-01-2005, 20:13
My God, that's brilliant! We ought to put you on "Mastermind":

"Next contestant, Trebor, from Moscow; Subject, The Bleeding Obvious"....

pengwn9
20-01-2005, 20:52
Originally posted by trebor
Good advice Shatneresque,
but in the summer try shopping in the rynok where these items will be fresh and a lot less than at the super market.
(Parmesan and extra virgin excluded of course)

I've been buying some good quality parmesan cheese (ok, not parmesan reggiano but quite tasty) at the Dogoramaskyavichwhatever rynok for 600 rubles a KILO! Last time I was inside I saw at least 2 kinds of fresh basil, and of course there's a ton of other herbs and vegs and nuts and spices. You people should go there. They have everything.

Off the subject, I also saw a lot of fresh asparagus in there yesterday. Find that in the Ramstore, I dare you.

Shatneresque
20-01-2005, 21:02
Cool! Thanks for the info, Bets! :thumbsup:

Didn't happen to see any fennel seed in there, did you? I'm making Italian sausage for pizza....

Or is the Indian Spice Shop still my best bet?

pengwn9
20-01-2005, 21:08
On the outside there are at least 10 dried fruit and spice vendors. Inside the building, there are spices seriously out the wazoo. Mounds of them. Do you know where this rynok is? Some things a bit pricey this time of year, of course, but really nothing you can't find.

Kshisya
20-01-2005, 21:28
Shatneresque
why were you nasty to lil trebor? :evilgrin: what was that?

:rolleyes: you could've deserved the same comment for
For olive oil, recommend you use Extra Virgin grade ONLY.

as if somebody doesn't know it :rolleyes:

:p:p:p

peng did you mean Dorogomilovsky rynok or some other? :confused:

clemens_cis
20-01-2005, 22:37
Kshisya, finally you found your destination " Recipe & Food finder"
started training for kids, kitchen and church?
y ou will be a good housewife!! :D :D

i know Kshisya ..... F....o... :D

ghost 6-3
21-01-2005, 08:30
Where is the 'Dogoramaskyavichwhatever rynok'?

DPG
21-01-2005, 09:12
Kievskaya - about a 10 minute walk from the metro...

pengwn9
21-01-2005, 09:19
My Russian is so veeery bad. Apologies.

Kievskaya Metro (the whole place is now some kind of construction zone), left out of the Metro, round the construction fence to the first street. Left at that first street, there's a tobacco shop on the corner, down 3 1/2 blocks, left into the outside lanes of food vendors. Lots of carts and shouting and turk-types running around, you can't miss it. In the middle of the complex there's a BIG building with fresh aminal meat (:( ) a fish market, mushroom section, tons of vegetables, spice vendors and pickled stuff.

I rarely shop inside since nothing is sign priced and my Russian is so miserable. As soon as they hear that they go straight for the wallet. I buy most of my food outside where the vendors post prices.

trebor
21-01-2005, 09:35
Now Now Shatneresque,
having a bad day are we?:D

The reason i posted it is because you would be suprised how many expats in Moscow shop at Stockmans and havn't a clue where or even what a rynok is.
Also, another reason for shopping there in the summer as i'm sure YOU know Shatneresque and not wanting to tell YOU the bloody obvious:rolleyes:
You can make your pesto in the summer when the products are very cheap in the rynok. Put it into screw top jars (filled to the very top) screw down the lid very tight and it will keep in the back of the fridge through winter.
I hope someone will find that bit of info usefull.
Not Shatneresque of course.....................'COS ITS BLOODY OBVIOUS!:D

trebor
21-01-2005, 09:41
Originally posted by Shatneresque
My God, that's brilliant! We ought to put you on "Mastermind":

Shatneresque,
are you still piss*d with me ?:D

garyburton
21-01-2005, 11:31
Kshisya the housewife....... Sounds good to me.........What do ya say K:drink: :nut:

Kshisya
21-01-2005, 11:40
Originally posted by clemens_cis
Kshisya, finally you found your destination " Recipe & Food finder"
started training for kids, kitchen and church?
y ou will be a good housewife!! :D

i know Kshisya ..... F....o... :D

:D nu why F o ? ;) You might be right :D so when do we go to the church, darling? :p

gary I am not sure that I will be a good house wife :nut: but sure that clemens definitely will! You know he can cook frozen vegetables so damn well! :rolleyes: :D

clemens :p

DPG
21-01-2005, 12:26
Originally posted by pengwn9
I've been buying some good quality parmesan cheese for 600 rubles a KILO!

Peng:

Where is the cheese from??

I remember trying erm, Latvian "parmesan" once (from a supermarket) and it didn't cut the mustard at all - completely different taste and a softer texture...

Is the one you get a passable substitute for the real thing?? If so, that's a great price!

Thanks!

Shatneresque
21-01-2005, 12:28
Originally posted by Kshisya
Shatneresque
why were you nasty to lil trebor? :evilgrin: what was that?

:rolleyes: you could've deserved the same comment for

"For olive oil, recommend you use Extra Virgin grade ONLY."

as if somebody doesn't know it :rolleyes:

:p:p:p

Hey, if you know the difference between the different grades of olive oil, my hat's off to you! :D I find that, outside of the Mediterranean, few people do (and certainly not in Russia).

A lot of experienced household cooks will buy any olive oil that says "Pure" on the label when, in fact, it's far from the best.

I didn't know the difference myself until I read an article by Florence Fabricant, the Food columnist for the New York Times, about ten years ago. That article is now pasted on the door to my kitchen cupboard.

The quality of the oil has to do with the method of processing, the number of times the olives are crushed, the residual acidity, etc.

Individual brands of extra virgin vary in color, flavor, and bouquet because, just like wine grapes, the olives reflect the different soils and climates in which they're cultivated.

Shatneresque
21-01-2005, 12:32
Now Now Shatneresque,
having a bad day are we?:D

The reason i posted it is because you would be suprised how many expats in Moscow shop at Stockmans and havn't a clue where or even what a rynok is.
Also, another reason for shopping there in the summer as i'm sure YOU know Shatneresque and not wanting to tell YOU the bloody obvious:rolleyes:
You can make your pesto in the summer when the products are very cheap in the rynok. Put it into screw top jars (filled to the very top) screw down the lid very tight and it will keep in the back of the fridge through winter.
I hope someone will find that bit of info usefull.
Not Shatneresque of course.....................'COS ITS BLOODY OBVIOUS!:D

Just looked out my window. 'Tain't summer, is it? :D

Anyway---what's to stop you from shopping in the rynok in the winter...? :confused:

trebor
21-01-2005, 12:55
Just looked out my window. 'Tain't summer, is it? :D

Anyway---what's to stop you from shopping in the rynok in the winter...? :confused:

Of course nothing to stop you from shopping in the rynok in wnter and i do. But we were talking about pesto and the basil isn't as plentifull or as cheap in the winter. Not where i live anyway.;)

Just looked out of my window and its mid-summer:D

Shatneresque
21-01-2005, 13:05
Just looked out of my window and its mid-summer:D

Jeez! Southa th' Equator, eh...? :sunny:

"Ri-o, de Jan-ier-o...!"* >Sigh..!<

*Zero Mostel as Max Bialystock,
Mel Brooks' The Producers,
Paramount Studios, 1968

trebor
22-01-2005, 08:03
Jeez! Southa th' Equator, eh...? :sunny:

"Ri-o, de Jan-ier-o...!"* >Sigh..!<

*Zero Mostel as Max Bialystock,
Mel Brooks' The Producers,
Paramount Studios, 1968

Sydney actualy.
i have just discovered a great beer by the name of blue tongue in one of Sydney's oldest pubs.
Problem is after 6 pints my tongue is still not blue!:mad:

pengwn9
22-01-2005, 19:47
Originally posted by DPG
Peng:

Where is the cheese from??

I remember trying erm, Latvian "parmesan" once (from a supermarket) and it didn't cut the mustard at all - completely different taste and a softer texture...

Is the one you get a passable substitute for the real thing?? If so, that's a great price!

Thanks!

I don't know the country of origin of this parmesan cheese. There are 2 vendors there who sell some pretty good 'parmesan' cheese for the 600 rubles a kilo. If you want me to turn you on to my cheese lady secret, it may cost you a beer ;) because I can't remember her stall number and you'd just have to be there....She also has a very decent German Coberg cheddar for a bargain price, about 150 rubles a kilo. I just buy the whole briquette, about 4 or 5 pounds. She's the only vendor in that rynok with this particular cheddar and only one of two I've seen with the parmesan.

DPG
22-01-2005, 20:01
I love good Cheddar cheese!!

Let me know a couple of days ahead of time next time you are planning to go down there and if I can wrangle my schedule (and have some spare cash) I wouldn't mind coming with - beer is no problem!!

pengwn9
22-01-2005, 20:06
Can do captain. I'm usually there about once a week. It kind of depends on the weather. I hate hauling my babushka basket on ice and snow. But that really hasn't been a problem this year.

You sure you want to go styling with me and my little wheelie cart? Even my husband is ashamed to be seen with me and that thing. :D

DPG
22-01-2005, 20:38
You have a babushka basket?! Mwah hah hah!!;-)

No problems!