PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know anything about the English language olympiad competitions???

parva22
11-11-2009, 20:38
Hi all

I have a student who will be taking part in the Olympiad for English language and her mum wants me to help her to prepare for it. Unfortunately I have no idea what on earth this competition involves. Can anyone help me out or direct me to a website? I tried googling but found nothing...

Thanks a lot :)

toughnut
24-01-2010, 21:46
Several of my students have won regional olympiads over the years. To do really well, your student needs to have FCE level English or above. They need to be able to do a grammar test, reading, writing and speaking. Not sure about listening, but probably that too. Don't prepare your student specifically for this test. Choose a useful one to prepare for - FCE or CAE. (The new YEGE state school-leaving exam is an irritating, watered-down version of the FCE.) If they can do these exams well, they'll do fine in an olympiad. BUT, depending on the whims of the examiners, they may be asked some odd additional questions about British and American culture and history which even you - the embarrassed teacher - may not know the answers too! Occasionally, some of the grammar questions are ghastly - unnatural, odd-sounding English. So I wouldn't waste time scratching your head over them.

Bels
24-01-2010, 22:22
I totally agree with all what has been said here. This also applies to any other student who might be worried about passing Russian state Exams. Don't get carried away about worrying about their methods. Continue to teach you pupil to learn the best way you know how, hopefully Cambridge method, as yes it works. Bring your student up to the best level you can the way you know best and they will make. I have had several young sudents who have been top in this exam. Those students who got nowhere came nowhere came from state schools. Believe me!! It is the native speaking teachers using different teaching methods that are behind the success of students passings such exams. Not the Russian English teachers! So what does that say! Just bring this student up to the best level you can, and feel the success of your student. I love it when it happens!

I not only feel great achievement for the student, but I feel it for me who has taght this child from beginner level, and has beaten all Russian English who claim that the only way to pass estate exams and Olympia is through Russians who are not fluent in English. Totally untrue! And I have proven this many times. They are wrong ! I am right. And I am so proud of my children to prove them wrong!

Several of my students have won regional olympiads over the years. To do really well, your student needs to have FCE level English or above. They need to be able to do a grammar test, reading, writing and speaking. Not sure about listening, but probably that too. Don't prepare your student specifically for this test. Choose a useful one to prepare for - FCE or CAE. (The new YEGE state school-leaving exam is an irritating, watered-down version of the FCE.) If they can do these exams well, they'll do fine in an olympiad. BUT, depending on the whims of the examiners, they may be asked some odd additional questions about British and American culture and history which even you - the embarrassed teacher - may not know the answers too! Occasionally, some of the grammar questions are ghastly - unnatural, odd-sounding English. So I wouldn't waste time scratching your head over them.