PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Unique visa needed to receive TRP

sshabecker
10-11-2009, 21:03
I am an American who along with my wife (also an American) has just received my letter from the migration service stating that we have been granted temporary residency. This has been a long time in coming. However, we live in the Republic of Altai and our region seems to be unique in that they require us to take our letter and go out of the country and get a fresh, special visa and come back into the country before they will stamp the temporay residency stamp in our passports. They will not do it on a business visa. I have never heard of this in any other region, but two of our coworkers have done it in the past. This is not a business visa but is a three month visa based on the letter from the migration office. My problem is that I am currently in Mongolia and don't want to spend the big bucks to take my family all the way back to the States in order to do this. The Russian consulate here has never heard of this before. I would like to send our documents to the States to have this done through an agency but no agency that I call seems to be familiar with this. As I said two of our coworkers have received these visas in the past, one in Jordon (we have no intention of going there) and the other in Helsinki a few years ago. My question is this, can anyone advise as to which consulate(s) in the States will issue such a visa and what visa agency would be familiar with these visas so as to do them for us? Any help would be much appreciated as we are waiting here in Mongolia and we only have a month registration. I would hate to think that this whole process has been in vain. Thanks.

Bels
10-11-2009, 21:45
I'm sorry but are you joking? I can't get my head around this one. And you are both American. Come on admit it. You are joking of course.

Or perhaps Americans do speak another language?

Swarbs
10-11-2009, 23:47
Sadly I don't think they are joking. The technically correct procedure to get a TRP is:

1. The foreign citizen applies for a visa as a temporary resident (four-month single entry visa).
2. The foreign citizen applies for a temporary residence permit.
3. After obtaining a temporary residence permit, the visa of the temporary resident is prolonged.

So in theory you can't apply for TRP with anything other than this four month single entry visa. In practice, most uFMS offices just ignore this requirement - I got my TRP with a standard multiple entry business visa. The one in Altai must be particularly anal. Check page 10 of:

http://www.vfbs.ru/rus/brochura.pdf

and Penguin_the_Great's post halfway down:

http://www.expat.ru/forum/temporary-permanent-residency/72044-how-temp-res-permits-issued.html

Have you tried showing the letter from the FMS to the consulate, and asking them to call the local FMS office in Altai to confirm what you need? I'm not surprised the consulate in Mongolia aren't familiar with it - I only know of a couple of people who had to get this special visa and they all lived in countries like the UK and US where more people tend to apply for TRPs. If all else fail's Penguin's post implies you should be able to get it from the Washington Consulate in the States, and they can do it quickly, so you might be able to fly in, get it done same day, and fly out on red eyes. Although I'd call in advance to make sure. Not fun, but if the FMS office won't budge it might be your only option. The only other one is ask the FMS official what "special fee" (i.e. bribe) you can pay to avoid having to get the special visa...

sshabecker
11-11-2009, 07:35
First of all, this is no joke. Thanks so much Swarbs for a particularly helpful reply. I will call the embassy in DC asap to verify what is required. Does anyone know if they take mail-ins or of an agency who will do this? I really don't want to fly there if at all possible. My next option would be to just send this info to an agency and see if they would do it for us. As a side, if you think this is anal, they also require that we get a job within the Republic that meets the income requirements and there are periodic checks where they will annul the temporary residency permit if the levels are not being met. No proof of any amount of money in a bank account will suffice. In the words of one official, "We give out a lot of these, but very few can keep them." How many places in Siberia do you think will be offering jobs with a salary of 23K rubles/month which will be the income requirement for our family?!!!

Bogatyr
11-11-2009, 09:43
First of all, this is no joke. Thanks so much Swarbs for a particularly helpful reply. I will call the embassy in DC asap to verify what is required. Does anyone know if they take mail-ins or of an agency who will do this? I really don't want to fly there if at all possible. My next option would be to just send this info to an agency and see if they would do it for us. As a side, if you think this is anal, they also require that we get a job within the Republic that meets the income requirements and there are periodic checks where they will annul the temporary residency permit if the levels are not being met. No proof of any amount of money in a bank account will suffice. In the words of one official, "We give out a lot of these, but very few can keep them." How many places in Siberia do you think will be offering jobs with a salary of 23K rubles/month which will be the income requirement for our family?!!!

Wow, that's pretty intense. Seems like Altai really doesn't like TRP. Is that employment check allowable in the law? (I realize that practically speaking you may be at the mercy of local officials regardless, ... but maybe there is some recourse to avoid that if it is not in the law)

SV1973a
11-11-2009, 10:15
Which reasonably minded foreigner (coming from the western world) would want to go live with his family in Siberia on a salary of 23000 rubles ???