PDA

View Full Version : Writers' Gatherings?

kcb536
10-11-2009, 16:56
Hey there. I was wondering if there are any gatherings of English-speaking writers in cafes to chat about their work, encourage each other, share pieces, etc?

Wolverine
30-11-2009, 22:13
What are you working on?

Will
04-12-2009, 08:25
And would you be interested in setting such a group up?

Korotky Gennady
15-12-2009, 02:18
I start to write my book now too. I hope it will be good.

I don't know anything about english language writers but the russian writers whom I saw... were disgusting people.

It could be better if I didn't see them...

TitusV
17-12-2009, 13:23
I start to write my book now too. I hope it will be good.

I don't know anything about english language writers but the russian writers whom I saw... were disgusting people.

It could be better if I didn't see them...

:)

I'm writing too, just got to Moscow a week ago. I would like to find some nice cafes with wifi, good atmosphere for writing. Some of the coffee house cafes have it but they are quite smokey...

I'd be up for a meeting! And I'm not disgusting (I hope)....

Darya Alexandrovna
17-12-2009, 15:59
I want to join in if there would be any writer's meetings. )))

Korotky Gennady
18-12-2009, 16:10
So one should organize it then.

lauranaomi
09-01-2010, 15:44
I'd definately be interested in a writing group as well! I've only been in Moscow for 4 mths myself and it would be great to meet like-minded people.

Pls let us know when something is organised :)

RudyTwoShoes
16-01-2010, 02:34
I'd join, but weekday eves are tough for me...

Will
20-01-2010, 10:21
I will take the ring....though I do not know the way....

I'll organise it, if people pm me with email addresses.

andymackem
20-01-2010, 10:43
It shouldn't be too hard, surely.

Interested parties put their names below, with an indication of when they are most likely to be free. Once we have a reasonable sized group we work out the best compromise time, pick a venue that we can all find and agree a secret codeword so that we can recognise each other. It's no fun without a secret codeword, especially for those of us who are working on spy / thriller stories ;-)

1) Andymackem. Free most evenings after about 7pm, unless Dinamo have a hockey match. Weekends unpredictable but not impossible. Not currently writing any actual fiction, but has several half-sketched ideas.

2) who's next ...?

Korotky Gennady
20-01-2010, 19:46
During ten last years up to now I was writing a big novel about Universe... lol... (It's funny but it's true...)

But this autumn suddenly I finished four short stories and I would like to translate them from russian into english...

Will
25-01-2010, 10:35
It shouldn't be too hard, surely.

2) who's next ...?

No it shouldn't be. But it always is, perhaps because people have so much invested in writing and most of that tends to be personal.
3 people have pm'd me, if a couple of more do so, I will set about trying to organise a meeting, or at least email exchanges, schedules being so tricky here.
When I have done this in the past I have found that the key is to have clear idea of what you need from other people and, in particular, of what you want to know about your own writing from a friendly critic. The other aspect that generally proves problematic is that folk tend to want others to read their pieces far more than they are willing to read anyone else's work, if you don't think about this stuff before you get involved it generally screws up pretty quickly.
More pms please.
Or go public in that 1 item list up there.

Matroshkin
25-01-2010, 14:13
:(Id like to join a writers group! the only problem is i live in Perm' which is miles away from Moscow! Boo!

andymackem
27-01-2010, 15:36
No it shouldn't be. But it always is, perhaps because people have so much invested in writing and most of that tends to be personal.
3 people have pm'd me, if a couple of more do so, I will set about trying to organise a meeting, or at least email exchanges, schedules being so tricky here.
When I have done this in the past I have found that the key is to have clear idea of what you need from other people and, in particular, of what you want to know about your own writing from a friendly critic. The other aspect that generally proves problematic is that folk tend to want others to read their pieces far more than they are willing to read anyone else's work, if you don't think about this stuff before you get involved it generally screws up pretty quickly.
More pms please.
Or go public in that 1 item list up there.

Fair point. But might it not be easier to get interested people together so we can decide how we want to make the group work. I guess different people will be looking for different things - an impartial audience, constructive criticism, a bit of networking, a social group to talk about writing and literature in general, maybe even finding work or freelancers.

If we're trying to set up several different things for different people it might be worth getting them together to discuss it together.

Will
28-01-2010, 20:17
Fair point. But might it not be easier to get interested people together so we can decide how we want to make the group work. I guess different people will be looking for different things - an impartial audience, constructive criticism, a bit of networking, a social group to talk about writing and literature in general, maybe even finding work or freelancers.

If we're trying to set up several different things for different people it might be worth getting them together to discuss it together.

I'll certainly be up for it and try to involve those who have pm'd me.

andymackem
29-01-2010, 16:39
I'll certainly be up for it and try to involve those who have pm'd me.

Of course. The more the merrier. So we need a place and a time (difficult for me at the moment while I'm flat-hunting).

One possible place might be Gogol-mogol : small, quiet coffee-bar place near Kropotkinskaya with great cakes and a cute waitress :oops: No blaring music, and no huge crowds of people, so we can actually hear each other properly (I'm selectively deaf in crowded bars).

Unfortunately I couldn't do next weekend - will be shivering in Murmansk - but the weekend after should be OK unless I'm on V-day duty. Evenings could work, but I might have to change plans at short notice :((

Peter Ellis
05-02-2010, 09:41
I would also be interested in joining a writers' meeting (if my teaching work allows) but I'm hoping somebody else will organise it ... anybody got the time, or will it be down to me. Something like Coffee Bean on a Sunday afternoon? Peter.

Clue
05-02-2010, 14:36
Sounds quite interesting... So, if you do set up a meeting, please, let me know... I'd love to participate as well. At the moment I'm not writing anything, but I used to in the past. So I can be a 'valuable participant' who's interested in listening to what others have written )))

Clue
05-02-2010, 14:38
The only point about Coffee Bean and other similar places is that they're so noisy... :((( there's no escape from loud coffee machines and even louder crowds

Will
10-02-2010, 07:45
It is done,
pm email addresses to me.