PDA

View Full Version : Platinum Club - Scam

ghurka12
14-01-2005, 16:40
Dear All

This e-mail is issued as a warning to any people who visit Platinum Club.

We recently visited the Club, which we have been going to on and off since it first opened, with an American supplier. Our intention was to show him the light side of the night life in Moscow.

We have found in the past that it was a relatively civilised place to take both Clients and suppliers for a bit of harmless fun.

This time however we were the victims of a scam which according to other friends who have been there recently is not an isolated incident.

The scam is that they have increased the prices of there drinks and also increase the numbers out of all proportion to what has actually been consumed. We were given a bill of $1,000 for four of us for which we had received 2 whiskies, 5 barcardi colas, 10 B52's, one water, one beer and two tequilas!

The quantity shown on the bill was not even close to what we had ordered and we were all basically sober!

In addition they also put @ $500.00 on the bill for drinks for the dancers @ $35.00 for a campari and orange juice. We only authorised two of these!!!!! They had billed them as "cocktails".

Despite our arguing over the bill we received no satisfaction and were obliged to pay it! This is despite the fact that we have VIP membership of the club.

We will obviously not be going back and would warn anyone who is thinking about visiting that they will be ripped off!

Has anyone else had this experience with them recently???

kak
14-01-2005, 17:07
Originally posted by ghurka12
Dear All

This e-mail is issued as a warning to any people who visit Platinum Club.

so what is the REAL scam? the email or the platinum club ?;)

waste not want not
15-01-2005, 01:23
The real scam is people who take things to lightly when someone is trying to warn others and help them avoid problems in the future.

I know the guys in question and they are all stand up people. I would advise people to listen and keep this in mind if they decide to venture out. There are way to many places to go so why look for a problem when some one is giving you a good tip.

Otherwords "Kak" unless you are some how connected to the Platinum wake up and smell the roses but if you are connected then may you have some explaining to do.

These guys got hit up for some serious bucks and I don't know about you but I work hard for my money and I appreciate them makng everyone aware of the problem.

koba65
15-01-2005, 01:40
This is a common scam at such establishments in Kiev as well. Better to pay as you go and refuse to buy a girl a drink - you won't get lucky with them anyway so you might as well piss them off. Plus, once the other girls see you refuse 2 or 3 they'll leave you in peace.. Might not make for a "fun" night, but it'll save you from the big bill.

trebor
15-01-2005, 04:41
Originally posted by kak
so what is the REAL scam? the email or the platinum club ?;)

Now now Kak,
if i had posted a nasty comment like that about a genuine complaint you would have been all over me with your garlic breath!!:rolleyes:

Halyavshik
15-01-2005, 12:57
I'm with Kak. A scam at a strip-tease club ? I'm SHOCKED, I tell you, shocked !

waste not want not
15-01-2005, 14:02
Why doesn't that surprise me

zombee
15-01-2005, 14:27
The 'buy a girl a drink' scam is among the oldest. I had to fight my way out of a Turkish brothel once...

Ghost
15-01-2005, 15:54
Moral of the story - use caution when going to Platinum Club, or don't go at all (I'll opt for the second option). If I want a strip joint, there are plenty more in the city without me taking the chance on one a fellow expat warned me about.

Keep in mind, however. You're in Russia. You have to expect this kind of crap to happen, especially if you go to a place like a strip joint. Your eyes must see all sides, ears must hear all directions, and you need to keep checking on your tab if you decide to open one. That's just the way it is.

However, one little tidbit of info should you want to try it: I always use a credit card to pay my bills at bars and clubs, unless they don't take them. Most of the more prestigous places do. If I am ever in that situation, I will pay the bill if forced to, then call my bank in the states and tell them not to honor the charge because I was "coerced" into it. They'll listen to me as they ALWAYS do, and I'll get it credited back, and then Visa or MC will take the money back from the business the next time(s) there is a charge. That protects me. I've done it before. Also comes in handy when you purchase an item here in Russia (or any other similar country) that ended up being a piece of **** - and you can't get the merchant to take it back.

Of course with a really high bill, someone else might try to visit you to collect.

-Ghost

pengwn9
15-01-2005, 16:17
1,500 bucks? No wonder they call it the Platinum Club.

Braders
15-01-2005, 19:13
Has anyone else had this experience with them recently???

I think it depends how legless the person/group is, ultimately any place in Moscow will try it on if they think they can get away with it, how legless where you ghurka? because these people never try it on unless they think you've had more than enough, especially for that amount.

Mookla
17-01-2005, 10:17
On a side note, it never ceases to amaze me the profitability and seeming demand for strip clubs. I think what boggles me most is many of the guys think they will actually go home with one of the girls. I wont say it never happens but rarely. In Vegas the strip clubs are getting so big and numerous its amazing to me that they all survive. If that is what your into why not just take the same money and go to a damn brothel or call in 'room service' where you will actually get what you want ?

Filimon
17-01-2005, 13:02
Originally posted by Ghost
Moral of the story - use caution when going to Platinum Club, or don't go at all (I'll opt for the second option). If I want a strip joint, there are plenty more in the city without me taking the chance on one a fellow expat warned me about.

Keep in mind, however. You're in Russia. You have to expect this kind of crap to happen, especially if you go to a place like a strip joint. Your eyes must see all sides, ears must hear all directions, and you need to keep checking on your tab if you decide to open one. That's just the way it is.

However, one little tidbit of info should you want to try it: I always use a credit card to pay my bills at bars and clubs, unless they don't take them. Most of the more prestigous places do. If I am ever in that situation, I will pay the bill if forced to, then call my bank in the states and tell them not to honor the charge because I was "coerced" into it. They'll listen to me as they ALWAYS do, and I'll get it credited back, and then Visa or MC will take the money back from the business the next time(s) there is a charge. That protects me. I've done it before. Also comes in handy when you purchase an item here in Russia (or any other similar country) that ended up being a piece of shit - and you can't get the merchant to take it back.

Of course with a really high bill, someone else might try to visit you to collect.

-Ghost

Sorry, Ghost, I don't usually do it, but I'll take you up on that "you're in Russia" bit. Whilst I agree that this kind of c*ap happens in Russia a bit more often than in Europe, the scam where you have to pay through your nose at a strip-joint is the oldest in the book and always in newspapers in London. So to claim it is something you risk just by being in Russia is somewhat peculiar. Russia is a virgin when it comes to 'legal' scams, such as rip-offs in clubs, auctions of 'cheap' electronics, time-share sales etc. UK must be in the lead on those!

As for credit card part - I agree with one proviso. They usually would want cash, not plastic. In London they were reports of bouncers frog-marching the hapless customer to a cash machine and force him to extract money.

Ghost
17-01-2005, 13:08
My point was that being in Russia you should expect it - and not just in strip clubs. You cannot tell me that you aren't on more of a state of alert in general when you're in Russia, than when you're home.

I know I certainly am.

M-C
17-01-2005, 13:32
Actually, it's an international big city type of scam, it tends to affect out-of-towners, which is basically each and every customer..... If you're entertaining customers you don't need to get drunk to be overcharged, they just figure you won't want to make a fuss in front of them and look cheap.

Filimon
17-01-2005, 13:34
My point was that being in Russia you should expect it - and not just in strip clubs. You cannot tell me that you aren't on more of a state of alert in general when you're in Russia, than when you're home.

I know I certainly am.

:D :D One small thing: Russia IS home for me, at least in the sense of "home country". So my state of alertness increases only in respect of militia in metro and traffic on the Moscow roads.

I agree that in Russia it is more common to expect a catch in many situations. However, a strip club where you are forced to buy drinks for the girls is such an old "western" invention that it would hardly qualify for the originality award.

I say when you go to a strip club not just in Russia - expect a trick. My mates and I once demonstratively left "Spearmint Rhino" in London because of the pressure to spend more then we wanted to.

Filimon
17-01-2005, 13:36
Originally posted by M-C
Actually, it's an international big city type of scam, it tends to affect out-of-towners, which is basically each and every customer..... If you're entertaining customers you don't need to get drunk to be overcharged, they just figure you won't want to make a fuss in front of them and look cheap.

My point precisely! In our case we did make a fuss. It was my stagt night and I was not in the mood to let anyone spoil it. Had much more fun in a normal club afterwards.

Ghost
17-01-2005, 13:39
In general, Filimon. My sense are heightened in general while here. If yours are not, well then goody-goody-gumdrops for you.

Sheesh.

Ned Kelly
17-01-2005, 13:46
yes, my reflexes change when i'm in moscow and in coversations with russians that shuttle back and forth to australia they say pretty much the same.

Braders
17-01-2005, 15:25

I know I certainly am.

Absolutely - because i am a foreigner over here i always check my change, from Kiosk to Nightclub, right across the spectrum so to speak, in the UK i check as well but not all the time.

I could name and shame a few pubs in Moscow who are very well known for this, if you have more than 3 pints i recommend you always check your bill under a microscope ;)

In the UK unless you have a slate it's very rare that you get ripped off as you pay when you order in the pubs.

ghurka12
21-01-2005, 13:46
Thanks for the advice on the credit card, I did think about it but assumed the credit card company would do nothing about it.

By the way we were all sober and this was a night out for an important supplier of ours.

Also please bear in mind we have been regulars of Platinum since it opened and have VIP membership. This happened to us inspite of the fact we were regulars!!!!

My mail was not a scam....but there again I think a Frenchman nows owns Platinum which may be why this rip off is being perpetuated.....is it Kak perhaps....

By the way, Kak, my French friend, perhaps you should speak to an Englishman and find out what "Kak" means in our language! Surfice it to say that your e-mail response was a classic version of it!!!!!!!!!

We are also careful about how we operate in Russia and exept for the American supplier we each have between 9 and 15 years of living in Russia under our belts!

I would warn all expats to avoid Platinum like the plague!!! It will happen to you too otherwise!

DPG
21-01-2005, 13:52
perhaps you should speak to an Englishman and find out what "Kak" means in our language!

Unless I'm very much mistaken "our" meaning of the word is exactly the same as it is in French (the language from which we stole the word)!

On a more serious note, I wonder about how UK credit card providers would react to a claim of being coerced into paying or scamed in some way that doesn't include purchase of goods or services online (for which they automatically cover you)??

I might contact mine to find out (god forbid it ever happens!)...

kak
21-01-2005, 14:08

My mail was not a scam....but there again I think a Frenchman nows owns Platinum which may be why this rip off is being perpetuated.....is it Kak perhaps....

By the way, Kak, my French friend,

Do i know you? i think i do not then i guess i'm not your friend.

A simple way about answering my question (which was actually more a joke than anything else) was just to say: no my email is not a scam instead of jumping on your high horses.

You were a vip member of that strip joint and were a regular? Good for you, but if were you i won't come on a forum to say that... there is nothing to be proud of...am i wrong?

kak
21-01-2005, 14:11
Originally posted by waste not want not

"Kak" unless you are some how connected to the Platinum wake up and smell the roses but if you are connected then may you have some explaining to do.

:D Are you on drugs???

ghurka12
21-01-2005, 14:13
Kak

No, you are not correct in either your comments or your inferences! Being a member and visiting an establishment does not necessarily mean that you partake of their services.....

As per many of your brethren you are a ******* to treat such a mail as trivially as you did!

This is not a cause for humour and my mail was a serious one to prevent others suffering the same result; even idiots like yourself!

<Let's keep the swear words out of this, please--Mods

kak
21-01-2005, 14:29
I have treated your mail too "trivially"???
and that's why you are coming to me with insults and lies?
Did you have a bad night or something else?
go get a life.

ghurka12
21-01-2005, 14:49
What lies????

If you are calling me a liar, then I would suggest you send me your photograph and I will visit you in the Albion and explain why this is not the case!

sfjohns67
21-01-2005, 14:54
Don't make idle threats. Kak is a major league a$$kicker, believe me. Hell, I looked at his girlfriend one time for about 3 seconds longer than was proper, and next thing I know I was waking up on the floor with blood all over my shirt and a big lump on my forehead. The man is an animal, a tiger, a banshee, and he is not to be trifled with.

Believe me, I'm doing you a favor by giving you this advice. If you choose to proceed on your current path, you will find your violence feeble in the face of Kak's masculine rage and wrath. I won't visit you in the hospital, either.

Now go in peace.

85StoneWhiteFurball
21-01-2005, 14:56
:) - I happen to know for a fact that Ghurka is twice Kak's size - so there!

sfjohns67
21-01-2005, 14:58
Since when does size guarantee victory in a dust-up, waddly boy?

kak
21-01-2005, 14:59
read again my comments and read again what you wrote in answer i'm not the one being agressive with no reason here i'm not the one insulting either.
If i want to go to the albion tonight it's to have fun with some people i know and i appreciate... not to discuss with a stranger who jump on his high horses just for one little sentence.

kak
21-01-2005, 15:04
Originally posted by sfjohns67
Don't make idle threats. Kak is a major league a$$kicker, believe me. Hell, I looked at his girlfriend one time for about 3 seconds longer than was proper, and next thing I know I was waking up on the floor with blood all over my shirt and a big lump on my forehead. The man is an animal, a tiger, a banshee, and he is not to be trifled with.

Believe me, I'm doing you a favor by giving you this advice. If you choose to proceed on your current path, you will find your violence feeble in the face of Kak's masculine rage and wrath. I won't visit you in the hospital, either.

Now go in peace.

SFJ You forgot to mention that i have been bitten by a dog who may have rabies!:eek: so...be careful, do not stay to close to me :D

DPG
Hahahaha!!!

Lady Marmalade
Geez Louise, he made a joke, a bad joke yes, it's true, especially since you were serious in your post and for some people on the site I am sure it is informative and good to know about this particular scam. However, if you have ever met the guy, trust me, you would know he was joking. Take a look at all the regular jokes and pics he posts, he's harmless despite what Sfjohns67 fantastically claims. Although, if true I wish I'd been there, it would have been a riot. Anyway, I'm sorry such a s****y thing happened to you, that really sucks eggs.

boscoe
21-01-2005, 15:16
Originally posted by 85StoneWhiteFurball
:) - I happen to know for a fact that Ghurka is twice Kak's size - so there!

Hey furball, youíre twice my size but I hardly quake in my boots at the sight of you :rolleyes:

moscowmail
21-01-2005, 16:33
Jee wizz,

People are entitled to their opinion, Kak does have a sense of humor and I think he meant no harm.

Ghurka, cool it man, lifeís to short for aggression and please keep your language clean in open forums, go to Bardak if you want to swear please.

On the point of the thread, VIP cards were given out to a lot of people, so that isnít anything special.

I personally don't like the place, there are better and the value for money.. on ermm drinks and stuff... is far better in places like Oh La La and Shandra were they value their customers and do not rip them off... so much.

I think we all appreciate your warning and we all feel bad that you were ripped off, but I think it is the owner you need to have a go at old chap.

J.D.
21-01-2005, 21:36
You mean Kak isn't the owner?
Dam, I was going to be nice to him so he would give me a V.I.P. card.

koba65
21-01-2005, 21:46
Is it just me, or does the Kak v. Ghurka tiff remind anyone else of the "Holy Grail"?

"I fart in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!"

Mookla
21-01-2005, 22:36
Ni !

sfjohns67
22-01-2005, 07:19
Originally posted by faritova
Take a look at all the regular jokes and pics he posts, he's harmless despite what Sfjohns67 fantastically claims. Although, if true I wish I'd been there, it would have been a riot. It's true, believe me. I'm still esconced in the warm embrace of both physical and psychological therapy; not sure when, if ever, my deep wounds will heal. On the brighter side, Kak is at least contrite enough to send me flowers occasionally, and he's even visited my bedside a few times and stroked my brow with one of those unscented moist towelettes that come in a foil packet.

waste not want not
22-01-2005, 10:24
(Kak is at least contrite enough to send me flowers occasionally, and he's even visited my bedside a few times and stroked my brow with one of those unscented moist towelettes that come in a foil packet.)

Now that sounds more like the Kak I envision. A nice person who likes to get out into society by taking bold stands on an internet Forum behind his computer, who would never be so impolite to do it in public.

No Kak I am not on drugs, but as I said in the beginning Ghurka put out an Expat alert trying to help others. The following posts are as silly as yours, mine included. You shouldn't joke at others misfortunes, what did expect to follow? I am sure that unwillingly we all made you life better by giving you attention on a comment in bad taste which is what you were looking for.

As for you Humor, it needs work.

:)

PS Ghurka, thank you for the tip. As for this post drop it is not worth the aggravation and lets go have a beer

M-C
22-01-2005, 10:59
There have been a couple of posts in the recent past aiming at discrediting businesses (schools, bars...), I think Kak was bearing those in mind when he posted. The other thing is that as a Frenchman, I can easily imagine that he thought (as a lot of us do) that when you go to strip bars you should EXPECT to be ripped off, not that we are right, we are just pretty cynical about it.... Seems to me that all those years in Russia don't help understand french humor, I thought the two were pretty close......

J.D.
22-01-2005, 11:14
So does this mean Kak will or will not give me a VIP card.

and if he does are you saying that I will be ripped off because he is French?

M-C
22-01-2005, 15:23
The VIP card might have been at the origin of the rip off! Be happy you don't carry one....I'm sure that Kak is more into places where good red wine is enjoyed with cheese, should you be interested in preferential treatement. . ;)
My point was that strip bars are places where excessive charges are de rigueur, I don't think I insinuated that the French were better at scams (or worse) than any other nationality