PDA

View Full Version : Christmas crackers

littleern
08-11-2009, 21:46
We're spending our first Xmas in Moscow this year and thinking about bringing Xmas crackers from the UK. Has anyone done this with no problems? I read somewhere that you need a certificate from the MoD to bring them in! Alternatively is there anywhere in Moscow where you can buy them?

Couple of other questions: where's the best place to buy a turkey and can you buy a real xmas tree here (saw a few for sale on Novy Arbat last year but they were a bit scrawny).

Viola
08-11-2009, 21:53
You may bring almost any food from the UK. By any I mean without going into extremities like raw meat or fish :) Cheeses, bread, crackers, Christmas pudding / mince pie.

tvadim133
08-11-2009, 22:00
Crackers for personal usage are not required any certificates (only for commercial or sales).

I did not pay attention if there were special X-mas cracers in supermarkets, but there are a lot of different kinds.

I buy a Turkey on open markets but guess they are sold in supermarkets as well.

X-mas trees is not a problem (there are organized special bazars all over the city where they sell only trees). You can buy a fir-tree and a pine-tree.

littleern
08-11-2009, 22:24
Thanks for the quick responses. I have a few trips back and forth the UK in the next month so will be bringing in some goodies (already brought back the xmas pud, cake, mince pies, cheese and the rest). My wife and kids want some crackers so that will be top of the list for the next trip.

Which market is the best for the turkey and what's the best place for the tree and when do they start selling them?

TVadim - when you mentioned xmas crackers in supermarkets where you talking about Moscow as I haven't seen any in previous years?

tvadim133
08-11-2009, 22:43
T

Which market is the best for the turkey and what's the best place for the tree and when do they start selling them?

TVadim - when you mentioned xmas crackers in supermarkets where you talking about Moscow as I haven't seen any in previous years?

I buy it on the open market Danilovsky which is next to Metro station "Tulskaya" (the building looks like a circus).

I saw different kinds of crackers in supermarkets in Moscow (for example "Azbuka Vkusa" and "Billa"), but I am not sure what x-mas are alike (something special, I guess?).

X-mas trees bazars.....hm.... may be I was mistaken, because last year they opened the bazar next to my house on the 24th of December and may be for you it will be too late. But Ikea started to sell real trees on the 10-th of December, if I am not mistaken.

Kartoshka
09-11-2009, 19:36
I think there's some confusion going on in this thread! When the OP wrote about crackers, he didn't mean a savoury biscuit - he meant these:
http://www.sexyforeignwoman.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/crackers.jpg

littleern
09-11-2009, 19:38
yep, those are the ones i was referring to. So has anybody ever brought these into Russia with their luggage (or bought them locally in Moscow)?

littleern
10-11-2009, 10:55
To answer my own question (at least partly), my wife brought some Christmas crackers back form the UK in her hold luggage yesterday with no issues.