PDA

View Full Version : expat life in Moscow

Native Texan
06-11-2009, 23:29
How is it?

rose07
07-11-2009, 00:11
For me its simply nice. At first, hard to cope up with some things especially the weather. Since I grew up in Manila. Living here is like taking responsibility. Responsibilty to learn Russian language (as most people here doesn't speak English), the culture, food and people of course.

I like the architecture of most buildings here. And since the snow came last week, I was quite happy. Since that was the first time I saw snow. Im not that excited, I just treat it as another story to put on my diary. :)

I'm living with Russian girl, but I can see our differences as a Filipina or Asian.
Regarding in culture and beliefs (all differences), I think the important trait must one have is "respect".

In short, I simply love my life here in Moscow at the moment. I won't be forever here so why not enjoy!

Keep safe everyone!

tvadim133
07-11-2009, 00:29
How is it?

In General life is full of energy.

You will find here everything you like.

The only problem will be with drama theatres (there are huge ammounts of really interesting) where all playes are in Russian, of course.

And be prepared that in Moscow there are more italian, japanese restaurants then russian.

MC Donalds is still popular as well.

mattology
09-11-2009, 12:06
It's both love and hate.

Lots of things I love about Moscow, otherwise I wouldn't be here. But just as many things I really hate.

If I didn't have my job and my wonderful Russian girlfriend, I would certainly be somewhere else. We'll see - I'll stay for another 1-2 years and then probably won't come back anymore.

It's a beautiful and enriching experience, but some things I don't want to experience a second time.

tvadim133
09-11-2009, 12:28
I hope that nothing very terrible has happened with you! But What happened?

edelanna
10-11-2009, 15:56
is so interesting to read what expats think about my city :)

mistygris
10-11-2009, 16:48
I simply love it!!!! just take a deep breath and jump into moscovite life!!! some things you'll love some others you'll hate (for example administrative waiting lines).

But for sure it's a dynamic city and you'll find a lot to do :cheerleader:

Bels
10-11-2009, 16:56
I simply love it!!!! just take a deep breath and jump into moscovite life!!! some things you'll love some others you'll hate (for example administrative waiting lines).

But for sure it's a dynamic city and you'll find a lot to do :cheerleader:

Totally agree with all.

pettingman
11-12-2009, 18:46
And be prepared that in Moscow there are more italian, japanese restaurants then russian.

Well, there is a lot of russian restaurants. Also as every different country, people like to spend time with good food in place that not belong their country. However i know a lot of places where you can taste russian food. the problem of this places that they could be very cheap or very price. If it's too prices it's means that this restaurant was made for "rich" (as russian thinks) expats.

drwho
11-12-2009, 18:59
How is it?

Check out this blog for snap shot from another angle.

istra123
11-01-2010, 16:30
I love it. There are always good and bad experiences, but I try to stay optimistic. You will need a lot of patience, there are lines everywhere. PM me if you have any specific questions.

MissAnnElk
11-01-2010, 17:51
I have a blog about my experiences here, too.

http://thebeetgoeson.blogspot.com

Scatterling
14-01-2010, 11:13
I'm from South Africa. I enjoy every moment of it here. It all really depends on your mindset and attitude.
Don't expect things to be the same as they are 'at home' because it most propably won't be! Rather embrace the differences and be open to learn and experience new things.
The fact of the matter is that you will learn things about yourself that you never would've anywhere else. And personally I think that is the thing that some expats find the hardest to deal with.
I've made some wonderful expat and local friends and that makes things alot easier. Overall I find people very friendly and eager to help if you treat them with respect.