PDA

View Full Version : The International School - Moscow

Native Texan
06-11-2009, 23:03
Any feedback on this school? How difficult is admission? we have two children below 7 years of age. I am not concerned with tuition.

tvadim133
06-11-2009, 23:07
Международные школы в Москве (http://www.evans.ru/rus/rent/school.html)

I am not much of it, but there is a link with some list of international schools in Moscow.

I hope it will help!

Bels
06-11-2009, 23:28
How to help with English international schools in Russian? Do the Russians want such schools? Yes many are now owned and mainly managed by Russians. Problems.

Native Texan
06-11-2009, 23:35
What sorts of problems?

Bels
06-11-2009, 23:35
Any feedback on this school? How difficult is admission? we have two children below 7 years of age. I am not concerned with tuition.

Admission? You need to ask NOW! When do do you want them to enroll!

Questions I would like to ask now. Are there still waiting lists, and hasn't the demand decreased over the past. Are there less expats than before?

Admission at such a young age I can't see it. Are they native English? Should be no problem. International schools were undeservadly overbooked at one time. But I can't honestly see that a problem now.

tvadim133
06-11-2009, 23:56
What sorts of problems?

What Bels is speaking is that there might be quite few international schools in Moscow (for expat's children, english speaking).

I am not sure the quantity of schools is enough, cause I have never faced or heard of such kind of problems.

May be you should decide and settle where you children will go to, beforehand (5-6 months beforehand is a good month for it).

Try to contact the schools from the list I attached by e-mail at least.

Bels
07-11-2009, 00:02
Read all on the threads and questions about schools here. As yo said you are not concerned about teaching quality, just to get your kids enrolled. What I am saying it should be easier now, as there are now less expats here. There shouldn't be a long waiting list as there used to be. In fact by now they must be desparate for you as a parent with children. They are overpriced, let us be fair about that one.

Wolverine
08-11-2009, 16:41
Usually my friends with kids at English-speaking schools make negative comments about the quality of education. But ISM- I have only heard positive comments so far, but I only know one parent at ISM.
My daughter goes to a public (i.e. state) Russian school.

Freemanster
10-11-2009, 19:59
I know that ISM have year groups down to Pre-Nursery (age 3), so they would have classes suitable for your children unless you are starting to seek educational options very early indeed!

Admission would be partly a question of whether there are spaces in the age groups you require. I know ISM likes to keep class numbers strictly within a certain amount to ensure that enrolled children have access to a very good teacher/student ratio. It would be worth putting in a call to ask whether they have spaces available or I could probably ask around and find it out.

Regarding Bels posts, I believe that expat demand has not abated much. I haven't noticed any massive exodus amongst expats with families here. There have however, been two new schools offering an English Curriculum education. These schools (ISM, EIS) seem to have established a good reputation and to my knowledge, remain popular.

Freemanster
10-11-2009, 20:11
...They are overpriced, let us be fair about that one.

Bels, I was wondering what you charge per hour for private tutoring here and how it compares to friends tutoring in the USA?

Just joking around - no need to answer - but I doubt it's less than the RUR500 lots of tutors there would get. It's Moscow and everybody is paying over the odds for just about everything, even the schools themselves.