PDA

View Full Version : Marriage and Work Permits

AndrewJD
06-11-2009, 19:32
Hello, I have been reading online about once you are married, you can apply for a temp residency permit. I would like to know if being married in any way can help you receive the right to work in Russia? Is there a loop hole letting you receive a work permit? If you receive a temp residency permit, does that give you the right to work?

SV1973a
06-11-2009, 20:59
There is no direct link between marriage and getting a work permit.
Because you are married to a Russian citizen you are entitled to a temporary residence permit (out of quota), but with exactly the same requirements as all other applicants.
Once you get the TRP, you can apply for the work permit.
My advice is to start on it today. Then it will keep you busy for the next couple of months.

Bels
06-11-2009, 21:28
You are a USA citizen. That helps in those advising you on let's start on getting married. Russia or the USA? For temporary residency first step goin to your local FSO office and getting your application form and list of requirements. secondly immediately applying for your police check and getting it appostiled.

When you have received your TRP, you will have the right to stay in the country for a maximum before you must apply for your permanent residence. However you can apply for your permanent after one year and no work permit will be required from. Even with temporary you should in most cases be able to apply for any job without hassle. You could also apply for entrepeneurs' licence and be self employed, or work for a company on a freelance basis. Your tax will be 6%. And the entrepeneurs, choice is what I made. But everyone is different to their own circumstances.

AndrewJD
12-11-2009, 15:52
Thanks for the info. I am still in the US, but wanted to know what the possibilities were. They seem slim for finding a job in Saint Petersburg.

Bels
12-11-2009, 16:13
If you can find work in St Peterburg before you arrive, the employer will sort out all arrangements for you , including gettiing your work permit and extending your visa. Even so once you have got you work permit and employment I strongly suggest you apply for TRP and no longer depend on your one and only employer.

GaNozri
12-11-2009, 16:36
WHY, oh why, would anybody want a work permit in Russia????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Dave78
12-11-2009, 16:42
You are a USA citizen. That helps in those advising you on let's start on getting married. Russia or the USA? For temporary residency first step goin to your local FSO office and getting your application form and list of requirements. secondly immediately applying for your police check and getting it appostiled.

When you have received your TRP, you will have the right to stay in the country for a maximum before you must apply for your permanent residence. However you can apply for your permanent after one year and no work permit will be required from. Even with temporary you should in most cases be able to apply for any job without hassle. You could also apply for entrepeneurs' licence and be self employed, or work for a company on a freelance basis. Your tax will be 6%. And the entrepeneurs, choice is what I made. But everyone is different to their own circumstances.

How do you get a TRP without being married to a Russian?

Bels
12-11-2009, 16:56
Apply at your nearest FMS office and hope you get included as in the list of quota. In another words there are only so many per year who can apply, so hurry and hope you are one on that quota.

maven
14-11-2009, 20:15
Apply at your nearest FMS office and hope you get included as in the list of quota. In another words there are only so many per year who can apply, so hurry and hope you are one on that quota.

Quota... quota.... one of the benefits of being spouse of a Russian citizen is that you do not fall under quota restriction, or so I was told. Any Russian company can hire you, not only these companies that already have foreigners working for them. Right? Right?

Bels
14-11-2009, 20:45
Quota... quota.... one of the benefits of being spouse of a Russian citizen is that you do not fall under quota restriction, or so I was told. Any Russian company can hire you, not only these companies that already have foreigners working for them. Right? Right?

Well yes and no. The spouse of a Russian citizen must first get the TRP to avoid the irritation of leaving the country every 90 days. When geting TRP there appears to be no problem in employment. But employers should, although I am sure many ignore check with the right government department to get a work permit, I think many ignore this and if not checked up with local government no problem.

The employer should check that this spouse married to a Russian, has a TRP, has a work permit or help the spouse employee to get the work permit. Alternatively inpect that he has entrepeneurs' licence. and has the right to work for you and will be responsible for his or her own taxes.

tgma
16-11-2009, 16:44
I think part of the source of confusion is that there was a time when if you were married to a Russian, your employer was exempt from quota in employing you. But now the employer has to apply for quota to hire any foreigner, whether or not they are married to a foreigner.

Ian G
16-11-2009, 16:58
Maven: there are 2 quotas- the quota for TRP (Marriage to a Russian citizen allows you to apply outside the quota) and the quota for work permits (whether or not the employee is married to a Russian citizen is immaterial. The quota still applies).

SV1973a
16-11-2009, 17:20
Maven: there are 2 quotas- the quota for TRP (Marriage to a Russian citizen allows you to apply outside the quota) and the quota for work permits (whether or not the employee is married to a Russian citizen is immaterial. The quota still applies).

That seems indeed to be the case, but...
If you have the TRP (outside of the quota because your wife is a Russian citizen), you can apply for the WP also outside of the quota.

bilverstone29
11-12-2009, 12:59
That seems indeed to be the case, but...
If you have the TRP (outside of the quota because your wife is a Russian citizen), you can apply for the WP also outside of the quota.

Sorry SV, but why are you assuming that 'married to a Russian' only applies to men by saying "because your WIFE is a Russian citizen". There are some decent Russian guys out there, you know! ;)

SV1973a
11-12-2009, 13:19
Hi Bilverstone,

Sorry SV, but why are you assuming that 'married to a Russian' only applies to men by saying "because your WIFE is a Russian citizen".

Are you implying that Maven, to whom I answered, is gay ???

There are some decent Russian guys out there, you know! ;)

Well, I don`t know about decent Russian guys...
The female Russian collegues in our office say all Russian men -without exception- are lousy husbands...

(note - I don`t share their opinion)

bilverstone29
11-12-2009, 20:35
Hi Bilverstone,

Are you implying that Maven, to whom I answered, is gay ???

Well, I don`t know about decent Russian guys...
The female Russian collegues in our office say all Russian men -without exception- are lousy husbands...

(note - I don`t share their opinion)

No, SV, it was just a general jab at the assumption that Russian-expat marriages/relationships are Russian woman & expat man.
Oh, and i did say there are some, not many, but some decent Russian guys:)