PDA

View Full Version : UK/Brits Legalisation Question

TommyGun
05-11-2009, 22:16
Hi, me again with a question!

So, I've got my subject access from the police.

Now need that and degree cert and passport copy legalised.

But.... FCO want solicitor to verify docs. Does this mean notarised? I know I need docs notarised and translated when in Moscow. But do I need to get docs notarised twice?

Solicitor much cheaper than notary. And FCO gove a wonderful answer to my query which said "It depends....." On what? Answers on a postcard to the usual address....

So, any of you guys (and gals) who have been through this procedure please pass on your knowledge to this poor soul. When I finally get to Moscow I might even buy you a drink.....:11581:

mandelstam13
05-11-2009, 22:19
You shouldn't need it verified by a solicitor if it's a police subject access check. If it's a Disclosure document, you will do.

Bels
05-11-2009, 22:24
Police checks and degrees notarised would be a great idea. We are talking about legalising, and apostille in other countries. Will it work? Can only a ministry of foriegn affairs give what the Russian government wants. Or can we get away with legalising with a local soliciter in Russia. Good question.

Bels
05-11-2009, 22:27
You shouldn't need it verified by a solicitor if it's a police subject access check. If it's a Disclosure document, you will do.

What are you talking about. For residency temporary purposes you must have your police check apostiled or legalised as Britain calls it. This also applies to every document you give to the Russian government, due to this very silly Hague convention agreement, every document provided to the Russian government must be appostiled.

TommyGun
07-11-2009, 00:28
Apologies for not being clear and for internet probs which have delayed my response.....

Bels, I'm not talking about legalising docs, I know I got to do that. But FCO request that a solicitor authenticates docs first. My question is does this mean notarising (expensive) or just local solicitor (cheap).

I've had no clear answer from FCO-it depends..... on what?

So I ask here in case any of you guys have been through this.

I know that later need legalise, translate, notarise-brilliant sticky that helps idiots like myself! It's just this bit that I'm not sure about......

Bels
07-11-2009, 10:22
For subject access there is no verification from a solicitor required. Same as for qualifications of academic registered institutions in the UK. Well as far as I understand. Subject access definately verification not required.

Here is the link as I have been looking up for myself to with another problem. Apparently I now need a legalised birth certificate for my permanent residency. Sorry no escape as it is now in writing from FSO.

Local document search (http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/about-us/what-we-do/services-we-deliver/legal-services/local-document-search/)

snowbars
08-11-2009, 09:50
EVERY document legalised by FCO has to be certified by solicitor.You do not need a notary.
Walk into any High Street Solicitor and they will certify this document.

Only after this FCO at Milton Keynes will legalise your Police Access or any other document.

Remember: Solicitor has to put his personal name,contact details,signature and company Stamp...A MUST!!!

Bels
08-11-2009, 12:09
It never happened to me. How much more legal can you get of a document coming directly fromScotland yard. And if it was true we expats would have a lot more hassle much worse than it is now.

Swarbs
11-11-2009, 10:27
Documents we can legalise (http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/about-us/what-we-do/services-we-deliver/legal-services/legalisation/legalising)

Not every document has to be signed by a solicitor, only the ones that don't have an official stamp or signature from a UK public organisation. So your police check has to be signed by a solicitor, unless its from the CRB in which case it already has a CRB stamp and signature on it. Educational documents must be signed by a solicitor / notary as universities aren't technically official public organisations.

You can definitely use a solicitor - when I used the premium legalisation service at Admiralty Arch, they directed us round the corner to some local solicitor who signed all the docs that needed to be signed for 10 a pop. They must have made a fortune - they just checked the doc looked right versus their database and signed and stamped it. There were loads of people, so they must have made close to a grand a day!

KLi
13-11-2009, 20:13
This summer, for my teaching degree, the notary just took a copy and wrote a certificate saying it was a true copy (having ascertained it was for the Ministry of Education here). That cost over 80 quid! (in London). If they'd checked it on the database, it would have taken longer they told me, don't know about price.
I then took that to be legalised at the FCE in Milton Keynes.
Same with the police check, sent it in the post and got it back in a few days with a sticker on the back legalising it. It was from my local police force.
that all then needed translating and 'notarising' here too. Expensive stuff!

Bels
13-11-2009, 20:35
This summer, for my teaching degree, the notary just took a copy and wrote a certificate saying it was a true copy (having ascertained it was for the Ministry of Education here). That cost over 80 quid! (in London). If they'd checked it on the database, it would have taken longer they told me, don't know about price.
I then took that to be legalised at the FCE in Milton Keynes.
Same with the police check, sent it in the post and got it back in a few days with a sticker on the back legalising it. It was from my local police force.
that all then needed translating and 'notarising' here too. Expensive stuff!

I am confused of your quote of which I have boldened. Did you receive a legalised subject access from Scotland yard, and then hence straight to Milton Keynes to be legalised ( means appostiled to some) and then posted to you in Russia, all in one blow? Because that would be fantastic.

KLi
13-11-2009, 21:44
No, unfortunately. My obliging and long-suffering father received it from the criminal records office (sorry, not local police force!), very kindly sent it on to Milton Keynes (I was able to pay on-line from here, very convenient) with self-addressed envelope, and then sent it registered post to here upon receiving it.
Theoretically, as you send an envelope, you could have it sent from Milton Keynes to Russia. I think someone on the boards here had that done.

Bels
13-11-2009, 22:11
No, unfortunately. My obliging and long-suffering father received it from the criminal records office (sorry, not local police force!), very kindly sent it on to Milton Keynes (I was able to pay on-line from here, very convenient) with self-addressed envelope, and then sent it registered post to here upon receiving it.
Theoretically, as you send an envelope, you could have it sent from Milton Keynes to Russia. I think someone on the boards here had that done.

I fully understand you . But when your father contacted central Scotland he was advise to make application to a local dept, and a list was given with info of where he came from. You might not have known about that as it's not important to you, Then when you received the Subject access, you helped your father by receiving it and informing them to send it to Russia. YES? Boy we do need help from our family. My Mother had to help me out. Boy!! What a headache!!

KLi
13-11-2009, 22:34
Not quite like that :) I made the application to the local police force myself when I was home, but as I was out of the country by the time the police check arrived in the post, I had to leave precise instructions for poor father as to what to do, didn't want to make any more extra work for him! He watched out for the letter, sent it off for me to the FCO when it arrived, and then to Russia via registered post. He is a star, but I don't ask him to do too much! It's amazing what you can find out and get done from here. Thanks goodness for the internet!

Bels
14-11-2009, 00:19
Did he get his subject access here? Metropolitan Police Service - Request Forms (http://www.met.police.uk/information/request_forms.htm)

Did he legalise it here? as there are the only official contacts I know of.

Legalisation (http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/about-us/what-we-do/services-we-deliver/legal-services/legalisation/)

Now th issue is to inform the police to post
it for legalisation, and then to post it to you in Russia. Will they do that?