PDA

View Full Version : Remember this?

Scrat335
30-10-2009, 04:48
Carl Sagan. One of my favorite authors and I daresay one of the most relevant and constructive people we saw in the last century. Someone you can respect, my generations Einstein.

YouTube- Carl Sagan - Pale Blue Dot

robertmf
30-10-2009, 05:26
**billions and billions** I remember for his explanation of the Drake equation.

YouTube- Carl Sagan Explains the Drake Equation

http://carmine.blogs.com/kernel/astronomy/

Is there a way to estimate the number of technologically advanced civilizations that might exist in our Galaxy? While working at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory in Green Bank, West Virginia, Dr. Frank Drake conceived a means to mathematically estimate the number of worlds that might harbor beings with technology that could communicate across the vastness of interstellar space. The Drake Equation, as it came to be known, was formulated in 1961 and is generally accepted by the scientific community.

N = fs * fp * ne * fld * fi * fc * fl

where,

N = The number of communicative civilizations in the Milky Way
fs = The number of stars in the Milky Way
fp = The fraction of those stars with planets (Current evidence indicates that planetary systems may be common for stars like the Sun.)
ne = The number of Earth-like worlds per planetary system
fld = The fraction of those Earth-like planets where life actually develops
fi = The fraction of life sites where intelligence develops
fc = The fraction of communicative planets (those on which electromagnetic communications technology develops)
fl = The fraction of a planet's lifetime that has a technological civilization

If we substitute,

N = fs * fp * ne * fld * fi * fc * fl
N = 400 billion (1/4) 2 (1/2) (1/10) (1/10) (1/100 million)
QED N ~ 10 technological civilizations in just the Milky Way Galaxy!

Scrat335
08-11-2009, 23:37
The thing is he makes you think about it. He puts up explanations for questions.

If there are at least 10 techically advanced civilizations in the galaxy then why don't we hear anything from them? See any evidence of them?

I tend to dwell on the question of just why do we want contact with them. I don't buy his intelligence = peaceful equation.

Out there be Kzinti.

http://www.expeditionfleet.org/infobase/images/9/97/Kzinti2.jpg

robertmf
09-11-2009, 02:31
I tend to dwell on the question of just why do we want contact with them. I don't buy his intelligence = peaceful equation.

Out there be Kzinti.

:11629: Damn straight. Never, ever turn over a rock that might be hiding something bigger than what you want to find.