PDA

View Full Version : Good school wanted for teaching at

drwho
28-10-2009, 08:03
I am looking for a good, reliable and nice school to teach English at in Moscow. If anyone knows of a good school where they had a good experience at as a teacher, please let me know here or by PM message.

Thank you kindly.

Bels
29-10-2009, 23:52
I am looking for a good, reliable and nice school to teach English at in Moscow. If anyone knows of a good school where they had a good experience at as a teacher, please let me know here or by PM message.

Thank you kindly.

I personally don't know of any for me personaly as I find it more profitable for myself. Those who are resident here and have managed to get themselves promoted to DOE then maybe great for them.

As I understand it, you are a family man and you have a family to keep. Unfortunately schools do not seek family men seeking a professional a profesional. They seek kids looking for a good time half way through their university degree looking for a great holiday in another country. That is how they promote this TEFL profession, Once this world wide crazy promotion ends we might see some common sense.

For the moment I can only recommend the big three, and I already do believe you know who they are. In fact I only recommend two of them and that is BKC and LL. They are the only ones offering the full package for expats.

There are others offering higher incomes on their own righ, but nowhere near what is offered in value of package by the big two, BKC and LL. The other reason is that as a newbie you will be safer with them and looked after professionally.

Anna Lazutkina
12-11-2009, 00:41
I personally don't know of any for me personaly as I find it more profitable for myself. Those who are resident here and have managed to get themselves promoted to DOE then maybe great for them.

As I understand it, you are a family man and you have a family to keep. Unfortunately schools do not seek family men seeking a professional a profesional. They seek kids looking for a good time half way through their university degree looking for a great holiday in another country. That is how they promote this TEFL profession, Once this world wide crazy promotion ends we might see some common sense.

For the moment I can only recommend the big three, and I already do believe you know who they are. In fact I only recommend two of them and that is BKC and LL. They are the only ones offering the full package for expats.

There are others offering higher incomes on their own righ, but nowhere near what is offered in value of package by the big two, BKC and LL. The other reason is that as a newbie you will be safer with them and looked after professionally.

Yet again we have all been exposed to Bels' little Epiphany of the Majestic Linguistic Trinity (which has now quite unexpectedly been cut down to a dyad. The unlucky third one must be tearing its hair in despair and is currently unable to teach).

Unfortunately schools do not seek family men seeking a professional a profesional. They seek kids looking for a good time half way through their university degree looking for a great holiday in another country. That is how they promote this TEFL profession, Once this world wide crazy promotion ends we might see some common sense.

The above statement strikes me as very weird. Who the heck are they who are engaged in such " world wide crazy promotion"? Teachers or schools? Probably both? Are we having some kind of conspiracy on our hands? Does the poster mean that schools first take a gander at the person's marital status, and if any presence of a spouse is detected, they tell that person to naff off? And moreover, schools specifically make it their point to hire revellers? I'll be damned if I get it. Who can explain?

DrWho, I'm with you. Will ask around.

drwho
12-11-2009, 09:11
I maybe a family man but so is Bels! from all accounts.

Perhaps he just hates any NS competition? Being a family man does not prevent me from teaching. I agree, an odd comment and post. I'm trying to find a good school to do some teaching at. A fair one, one that pays well, one that is nice and thats all!! Not such a strange resquest is it?

All tips and contacts welcome PM me if you prefer.

Bels
12-11-2009, 18:10
I might have informed of this link before. But if not try here: Vacancies :: Moscow's virtual community for English speaking expats and Russians (http://www.expat.ru/vacancies.php)

Bluebird
12-11-2009, 23:29

There are others offering higher incomes on their own righ, but nowhere near what is offered in value of package by the big two, BKC and LL. The other reason is that as a newbie you will be safer with them and looked after professionally.I could've agreed with you - five years or so ago, but that's far from the case now.

I don't know when the last time you ever went for an interview here, but I've been to a few of late, and the interviews have been very exacting; usually with 2-3 stages now. And, moreover, with a pre-requisite to show any CELTA certificates as well as give a demo lesson for 45mins.

Bels
13-11-2009, 00:07
I could've agreed with you - five years or so ago, but that's far from the case now.

I don't know when the last time you ever went for an interview here, but I've been to a few of late, and the interviews have been very exacting; usually with 2-3 stages now. And, moreover, with a pre-requisite to show any CELTA certificates as well as give a demo lesson for 45mins.

CELTA?? Even Britain of who are the strictest in the world accept the equivelent.Such as TESOL , and other qualifications? Even if those qualifications match or even exceed the standards required by the British Council?.
I have pasted many time on the requirements of what the minimum requiremnts are required of a TEFL or TESOL qualification.

Yes you need at least 160 hours of study, and yes at least 16 hours observed in you teaching a group, That's the minimum. But many other qualifications exceed this. Especially the TESOL or TESL qualification coming from the USA. Let us not make this a monopoly of CELTA or any other qualification. Because there are better qualifications. Unfortunately CELTA is the only one available in the whole of Moscow.

But on the other end. Yes there are many who have a so called distant learning qualifification called TEFL, and mwy well have been ten hours distance study and that's it. Not enough I say.

Bluebird
13-11-2009, 00:19
CELTA?? Even Britain of who are the strictest in the world accept the equivelent.Such as TESOL , and other qualifications? Even if those qualifications match or even exceed the standards required by the British Council?.
I have pasted many time on the requirements of what the minimum requiremnts are required of a TEFL or TESOL qualification.

Yes you need at least 160 hours of study, and yes at least 16 hours observed in you teaching a group, That's the minimum. But many other qualifications exceed this. Especially the TESOL or TESL qualification coming from the USA. Let us not make this a monopoly of CELTA or any other qualification. Because there are better qualifications. Unfortunately CELTA is the only one available in the whole of Moscow.

But on the other end. Yes there are many who have a so called distant learning qualifification called TEFL, and mwy well have been ten hours distance study and that's it. Not enough I say.My point being...That your overview of schools here, just dragging anyone off the street, cos they were born in the Land of Hope n' Glory (or any other natural English-speaking country) are long gone - those days came (and went) many, many moons ago in fact...

Bels
13-11-2009, 00:44
My point being...That your overview of schools here, just dragging anyone off the street, cos they were born in the Land of Hope n' Glory (or any other natural English-speaking country) are long gone - those days came (and went) many, many moons ago in fact...

I have said that many times here. And yes you are correct!!! But my argument is that the CELTA is the required minimum qualification here and in many other countries . And that CELTA is not the only qualification recognised. There are many more that exceed the CELTA including certain TESOL and TESL of whidh may well be even better. But beware of short term TEFL courses of which are virtually worthless. The best way is to follow the British Council's specs of who are not allowed to recommend any specific qualification , but they do give the guidelines as I have explained above. I have given this link many times, but not this time as I am too tired of searching. But it is there.

So a hoover is a vacuum cleaner. And nothing else is a vacuam cleaner? HA! HA!

All I am saying is that CELTA is way oversold. For example what about Trinity?

Bels
14-11-2009, 18:44
Back on topic. Another great place to seek EFL work is TEFL.com. You can post your resume there and also register as a job seeker. Funny enough that might be a good idea to do this here. tefl.com is not only for Russia, it's the whole world. So if you fancy a break a break outside of Russia, especially in the Summer months, this is the place to go. Plenty of work for EU passport holders, and you will be fed, fed and accomadated. What more could you you want, I have done it a few times in the UK, whether it be on a visa trip or whatever. Thoroughly enjoyable and worthwhile experience.

So seven vacancies for Russia at the moment hereVacancies in the database - TEFL.com (http://www.tefl.com/jobs/results.html?searchOpts%5Bage%5D=&searchOpts%5Bcou_id%5D=177&searchOpts%5BtitleKeywords%5D=&searchOpts%5Bjo_category%5D=0&searchOpts%5Bec_id%5D=0&x=27&y=6)

For EU next Summer try this one. Vacancies in the database - TEFL.com (http://www.tefl.com/jobs/results.html?searchOpts%5Bage%5D=&searchOpts%5Bcou_id%5D=region%3AEU&searchOpts%5BtitleKeywords%5D=&searchOpts%5Bjo_category%5D=0&searchOpts%5Bec_id%5D=0&x=25&y=9)

For home base tefl.com hame page try here

Welcome - TEFL.com (http://www.tefl.com/)

But don't forget to keep an eye on expat.ru vacancies As there are some very good offers at the moment.

I keep saying it. Shop around.