PDA

View Full Version : Wifi internet. Advice needed

NotAnAngel
26-10-2009, 19:06
I want to have internet on my laptop. Seems wifi will be the best solution. What is necessary to have it? Any advice would be appreciated: equipment, providers, etc...

rumple_stilskin
27-10-2009, 18:04
If you already have internet at home, then you need a wifi access point.
does your router/modem have wifi?

If the laptop is reasonably new, then you probably have a laptop that has wifi inside. how old?

you need someone to configure it for you, if you have never done it before.

NotAnAngel
28-10-2009, 00:01
If you already have internet at home, then you need a wifi access point.
does your router/modem have wifi?

If the laptop is reasonably new, then you probably have a laptop that has wifi inside. how old?

you need someone to configure it for you, if you have never done it before.
I have internet at home, it works with wireless access point and is ok. But I'd also like to have internet when I'm not at home, but anywhere in the city. What should I do to have it then? As I can see, yes, laptop has wifi inside.

frankjohn2
28-10-2009, 01:32
I have internet at home, it works with wireless access point and is ok. But I'd also like to have internet when I'm not at home, but anywhere in the city. What should I do to have it then? As I can see, yes, laptop has wifi inside.

Sounds like you want G3 or a similar service. I am in St Petersburg, and the major two providers are Beeline and Yota, although there are others.

The easiest route would be to purchase a USB modem from one of the phone companies, plug it in, and surf away....

The modem costs 1190 RUR from Beeline with service costing 650 RUR/mo.

From Yota it is 1900/RUR for the modem, and 900 RUR/mo.

I originally had a USB modem from Beeline, which failed after two weeks. The process to get a refund was not too bad and they did indeed refund me. I went with Yota based on a recommendation from a university student who was with them.

FatAndy
28-10-2009, 10:31
2 NotAnAngel:
Описание (http://msk.wifi.beeline.ru/index.wbp)