PDA

View Full Version : Google translate- Does it work????

drwho
16-10-2009, 19:57
For the mentally challenged like me, Russian as a language and indeed my own language is difficult. I still cannot speak English correctly after years of trying. I don't speak Russian. I would like to learn, but I think any teacher that spent an hour trying to teach me would jump out the window in depression. Today I found a new toy, Google translate. Does it work well? does it translate correctly?

If you were to put: "I would like a kilo of carrots please shop women" would it translate into: "You have big hills, come to bed with me" I challenge any Russian to try it and get back to me when you can.

Taken from my blog. :11629:

tvadim133
16-10-2009, 20:38
It can translate, but sometime the traslation is quite funny. Not so funny as mentioned by you, but in the translation there are missing the correct gender, it sounds sometimes like"She want" instead of "she wants", "we is good in" instead of "we are good", some has a direct translation of idioms, some words are not translated at all.

So to study Russian via this tool is not a very good idea, but interesting.

Moskauerin
16-10-2009, 20:56
I think that all translation sites and their like are good for looking up separate words not phrases. And it is not a good way to study a language. Studying languages includes Grammar+Vocabulary+Pronunciation and should develop such skills as speaking and audial understanding plus reading and writing. How can an online vocabulary/ translation tool do that?

chartreuse
16-10-2009, 21:01
It translated "I would like a kilo of carrots" perfectly fine. Then it added " please ladies shop" at the end as a translation of " please shop women", which doesn't make any sense :) The answer to your question is, yes, it works most of the time. I use it from time to time and it's becoming better and better every day thanks to the constant user input, I guess. It is some kind of new technology. Some people say that it will change the way people translate and even communicate forever. I think Wiki has an article about it.

elis
16-10-2009, 21:31
I would avoid google translator. Despite one sentence coming out well, you never know what you might end up with. Husband used it to translate (and then send) an email in Italian. It was horrible. Another example, enter "well done" in english and in Italian got back "il pozzo e' fatto". (The well--as in water well--is finished.) Granted these aren't Russian examples, but I'm sure the quality of translation would be the same. :)

robertmf
16-10-2009, 21:34
I would avoid google translator. Despite one sentence coming out well, you never know what you might end up with. Husband used it to translate (and then send) an email in Italian. It was horrible. Another example, enter "well done" in english and in Italian got back "il pozzo e' fatto". (The well--as in water well--is finished.) Granted these aren't Russian examples, but I'm sure the quality of translation would be the same. :)

I've found the romance languages do not do well, in general, :voodoo: with machine translate attempts.

drwho
16-10-2009, 21:54
intersting. I must first try to learn the Russian Alphabet once I have learnt my own !! :-)

I have a rough idea but it would be great to see Russian translated but with the Phonetics as it sounds and looks in latin writing e.g Thank you would be spaseeba for example. Any such sites for the linguistically challenged such as myself??? Also my computer eats Russian type, chews it then spits it out as rubbish, how do I make my PC cope with Russian font??:10479:

Google translate in action:

"when we met you had green hair and carried a poodle"

Translation: Когда мы встретились у вас зеленые волосы и понес пуделя

Any good??? I could have endless hours of boyhood fun or I should get a life and get out more !! :-)

Bels
16-10-2009, 22:30
It's a good way of finding information and accepting its faults. With for example having a basic understanding of Russian you know where it can go wrong. Also google asks for volunteers to translate improvements. It works if it's only info you are seeking. You will get the gist.

Ian G
16-10-2009, 23:13
Hey- it'spretty good. I just checked Google translate by taking the original post above and translating it from English into Russian, then the resulting Russian into Thai, the Thai into Arabic and the Arabic back into English. The result?:

"The spirit of slow, like me, as the Russian language and the language of my country is difficult. I still can not speak English properly after years of trying. I do not speak Russian. I want to learn, but I think at any one time for teachers who are trying to teach me to jump out of the window into a depression. Today I found a new game, Google Translate. It works well? The correct translation?

If you put "I want to islands kg, please women shop", it can be translated to: "We have big hills, and go to sleep with me:" I challenge anyone to try to persuade Russia to me when you can."

robertmf
17-10-2009, 01:37
intersting. I must first try to learn the Russian Alphabet once I have learnt my own !! :-)

I have a rough idea but it would be great to see Russian translated but with the Phonetics as it sounds and looks in latin writing e.g Thank you would be spaseeba for example. Any such sites for the linguistically challenged such as myself??? Also my computer eats Russian type, chews it then spits it out as rubbish, how do I make my PC cope with Russian font??:10479:

Any good??? I could have endless hours of boyhood fun or I should get a life and get out more !! :-)

"Transliteration" is what you mean. :rasta: Romanized cyrillic/Russian
BGN/PCGN romanization of Russian - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BGN/PCGN_romanization_of_Russian)
There are several tables which vary a bit. I prefer the BGN/PCGN.

I use UTF-8 encoding on linux with latin-1 and phonetic Russian keyboards. For M$ I suppose you install the appropriate language pack. This question comes up ... so you might do [Search].

chartreuse
19-10-2009, 18:08

Any good???

Nyet. Google translate is good for simple things, not poetry in motion :)

Benedikt
28-10-2009, 21:48
For the mentally challenged like me, Russian as a language and indeed my own language is difficult. I still cannot speak English correctly after years of trying. I don't speak Russian. I would like to learn, but I think any teacher that spent an hour trying to teach me would jump out the window in depression. Today I found a new toy, Google translate. Does it work well? does it translate correctly?

If you were to put: "I would like a kilo of carrots please shop women" would it translate into: "You have big hills, come to bed with me" I challenge any Russian to try it and get back to me when you can.

Taken from my blog. :11629:

stick to short clear sentences. and logical words. for instance, every translator will translate oil (for salad for instance, when i do recipe translations..) as 'нефт' , the stuff you make then gasoline from. of course it is easier for me, i know the language and KNOW the word can not be right, so i just experiment, use the word vegetable oil or olive oil and it is ok. when yo uread it and it does not sound right, it for sure isn't. but learning via a translator is impossible.
also no translator knows the difference between the informal 'you' and the formal 'you'. DU and SIE as we say in austria...and 'ti' and wyi' in russian language.
buy videos, watch the russian translation and listen to english. and then yo udo it the other way around. listen to the english sound and read the russian subtitles. find a partner, the easiest way to learn. but the main thing, go out and speak, no one will laugh at you, to the contrary. people will see that you try and are more then willing to help you.

Brian Fellows
18-11-2009, 10:58
You definitely won't be able to learn Russian with just Google translate. However, it is a useful aid. I'm learning Danish right now and use it in conjunction with my textbook to translate certain words and simple phrases that I don't understand.