PDA

View Full Version : Wine in Russia

drwho
15-10-2009, 20:11
Yes I know I have gone a bit post crazy today but I've been home all and bored. What is Russian wine like? and is it affordable?? Right now I am drinking a smuggled bottle of wine that I hid in the moving and its awful but French. :11581:

MissAnnElk
15-10-2009, 21:50
One word: Chilean.

Usually under 300 rubles.

tvadim133
15-10-2009, 22:12
I would not recommend russian wine at all (it is too sour or too sweet to my mind).

GaNozri
15-10-2009, 22:29
Try Abkhazian wine. Chegem is not too bad. about 350r

Max77
15-10-2009, 22:40
I would not recommend russian wine at all (it is too sour or too sweet to my mind).

Totally agree.
I usually spend 400-600 for a bottle of Italian or Spanish wine.
Do not recommend Russian wine.

OlgaT
15-10-2009, 23:14
Among Abkhazian I like Lykhny. Although it's semi-sweet. But usually I drink French wines, sometimes - Spanish.

Russian (ok, Ukrainian) - Massandra Bastardo or Cabernet (among available in Moscow).

trebor
16-10-2009, 10:37
There's an interesting article in Passport magazine this month about Russian wine.
Did you know in 1980 the USSR was the fourth largest wine producer in the world? I didn't!

Russian Wine Country Update (http://www.passportmagazine.ru/article/1678/)

GaNozri
16-10-2009, 11:15
There's an interesting article in Passport magazine this month about Russian wine.
Did you know in 1980 the USSR was the fourth largest wine producer in the world? I didn't!

Russian Wine Country Update (http://www.passportmagazine.ru/article/1678/)

Untill Gorby destroyed 90% of the country's vineyards.

Sasha girl
16-10-2009, 16:27
Kuban Wines are good (for me). They are all different. They sell variety of them in Krasnodarskyi krai. They are kept in big wooden barrels, so you buy them in plastic bottles. Not every wine produced in a glass bottle with cork. There might be a shop "Kuban Wines" in Moscow too.

FatAndy
16-10-2009, 16:48
Agree, wines from Kuban' maybe are not so different as French ones, but there are several nice things... I'm not a super wine guru, and Izabella from Russkaya Loza suits me well enough ;)

chartreuse
16-10-2009, 16:49
Russia is a land of vodka. Wine is for girls. Russian girls have a sweet tooth, so 95% of Russian wine is sweet or semi-sweet. Over the years, sweet or semi-sweet wine and champagne became the de facto standard for good taste in Russia. Dry wine is hard to find and itís usually similar to the cheapest French table wine.

Chilean, Australian, French, Italian, South African wines are widely available and the prices are OK (I prefer Chilean or French). I have a supermarket next to my building with large variety of wines and good prices, so I pay from 200 rub to 500 rub a bottle. For example, I buy blanc de blanc brut, no-name real French champagne at only 300 rub a bottle. Itís not special but it does it for me Ďcause a) I like champagne; b) Russian champagne is crap; c) Well-known champagne is 3-times more expensive here than in Europe or the US and I like to drink it whenever I feel like it, which is often. I donít really drink white wine, but red wines in the mentioned price range are usually good.

tvadim133
16-10-2009, 17:24
I like champaign and if it is not a special day, I can buy 500rub bottle of Abrau Durceau Brut (russian) which is quite good and tasty and was famouse in 19 cebtury in Russia (+ the beginning of the 20th).

Though Vueve Clicquot is 7 times better......

But "wine for girls" idea is out of "fashion" here.

Though recently, they produced exactly just sweet wine.

I have got a lot of friends, business partners who drink (prefer) more and more wine (sec, dry).

I personaly, like only white wine which is great not only with fish and sea food but we "cold" veal and non-fat meat, I love.

Italian (Veroneze) is superb.

drwho
16-10-2009, 17:36
Russia is a land of vodka. Wine is for girls. Russian girls have a sweet tooth, so 95% of Russian wine is sweet or semi-sweet. Over the years, sweet or semi-sweet wine and champagne became the de facto standard for good taste in Russia. Dry wine is hard to find and it’s usually similar to the cheapest French table wine.

Chilean, Australian, French, Italian, South African wines are widely available and the prices are OK (I prefer Chilean or French). I have a supermarket next to my building with large variety of wines and good prices, so I pay from 200 rub to 500 rub a bottle. For example, I buy blanc de blanc brut, no-name real French champagne at only 300 rub a bottle. It’s not special but it does it for me ‘cause a) I like champagne; b) Russian champagne is crap; c) Well-known champagne is 3-times more expensive here than in Europe or the US and I like to drink it whenever I feel like it, which is often. I don’t really drink white wine, but red wines in the mentioned price range are usually good.

Wine is for girls !!! Sir you insult me. Wine is for all, although I'll drink beer when needed. I agree that girls do like sweet wine or wine with bubbles, this is true or any cocktail that looks pretty, this is also true. Vodka is for cleaning your paint brushes, killing your liver or for cleaning a cut finger, I would only drink if there was nothing else in the bar.

chartreuse
16-10-2009, 17:57
Wine is for girls !!! Sir you insult me.
It was not my opinion. That's what people think in Russia.

Abrau Durceau Brut (russian) which is quite good and tasty and was famouse in 19 cebtury in Russia
That particular brand used to be good in the 19th century indeed. They were using the traditional method and quality control was impeccable. The winery was converted to produce cheap champagne (fast fermentation) for the masses during Soviet times. I tried this champagne a few years ago. It was beyond bad. I’ve heard that they have plans to revive it. Perhaps I should try it again.

drwho
16-10-2009, 18:01
I was not expressing my opinion. I was merely stating the fact as evidenced by experience.

That particular brand used to be good in the 19th century indeed. They were using the traditional method and quality control was impeccable. The winery was converted to produce cheap champagne (fast fermentation) for the masses during Soviet times. I tried this champagne a few years ago. It was beyond bad. Iíve heard that they have plans to revive it. Perhaps I should try it again.

Only try it if its that bad when there is nothing else to drink.

RIKO
16-10-2009, 18:20
Did you know in 1980 the USSR was the fourth largest wine producer in the world? Well, yes, in the wider sense of the word "wine". This "wine" was generally shipped to Moscow in rail tankers, and then bottled and sold to a discerning proletariat.

Incidentally, Georgia considers itself (with justification) as the cradle of wine, being the first place in the world to domesticate the vine, some 6,000 years ago.

chartreuse
16-10-2009, 18:41
Well, yes, in the wider sense of the word "wine".

A legendary Soviet wine called Golden Autumn. 17% alcohol by volume, 7% sugar. Price: 1 ruble 15 kopeks (plus 10 kopeks bottle deposit). Nice and sweet, but not too sweet. Allegedly, it was made from rotten apples. A bottle of this after hard day’s work and you were in heaven in no time. Rumor has it that this wine was the number one favorite and was always in stock in every single store throughout Soviet Union.

tvadim133
16-10-2009, 18:56
Only try it if its that bad when there is nothing else to drink.

Tastes differ after all, but Brut Abrau is quite good. And if there is a choice among the same price level and even French, Abrau is a winner.

I am about becoming a professional wine tester.

tvadim133
16-10-2009, 18:57
But I would like to stress "BRUT", other kinds are really bad.

suzana123dizzy
19-10-2009, 11:14
russian wine is good but it is not better than french wine.i would recommend you french as for its taste.people find russian wine a bit sour.

kirk10071
19-10-2009, 13:26
No Russian wine is drinkable. Just don't buy it. They make a lot of good things here, but wine is not one of them. The climate is just not set up for it.

drwho
19-10-2009, 13:50
No Russian wine is drinkable. Just don't buy it. They make a lot of good things here, but wine is not one of them. The climate is just not set up for it.

Kirk10071, Is that a large mega dildo you are holding sir??? The girl that used that must be walking like she just got of a horse!?! or have been drinking too much wine ?

FatAndy
19-10-2009, 13:50
2 chartreuse:
Price: 1 ruble 15 kopeks (plus 10 kopeks bottle deposit). - nice bormotuha, at my student times (1983-1988) it costed already 1.80 with 20 k deposit and previous deposit was not 10 but 12 kopecks.
BTW Zolotaya Osen' is not only name for this type of wines - also Al'minskaya dolina (aka Dolina Smerti) and Dolina Nartsissov (same), Solncedar, Osenny Sad ;)

Viola
19-10-2009, 14:05

Abrau-Dyurso - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abrau-Dyurso)

Terrior - "Abrau-Durso" (http://www.abraudurso.ru/terra-eng.shtml)

Russian French Champagne Shootout (http://www.passportmagazine.ru/article/925/)

History Joint stock company ďAbrau-DursoĒ (http://www.abraudurso.ru/history-eng.shtml)

Massandra (2005) - a set on Flickr

Massandra Collection at Fine and Rare Wines (http://www.wine-pages.com/features/massandr.htm)

MassandraWine, Massandra Fine and Rare Wines (http://massandrawine.com/)

Sights<<< ........CRIMEAN tourism (http://www.tourism.crimea.ua/eng/dostoprim/otherobj/winehall/shampain/index.html)

Darya Alexandrovna
19-10-2009, 14:07
Russia is a land of vodka. Wine is for girls. Russian girls have a sweet tooth, so 95% of Russian wine is sweet or semi-sweet.

I devide wine in two types: dry/ semi dry wine IS wine, other types are dynamite ;) espessially for girls)))

If you happen to visit Rostov-on-Don you can try "Rostovskoe" wine (there are different types). But never buy Arbatskoe in Mcw - it is poisonous!

I think that at a price of 400 - 600 rub, you can find French, Spanish, Argentinian, South African, Chilean wine. But that Chilean ,fror example, (as well as African of Argentinian) that costs 400 is of much better quality then 400 rub bottle of French or Spanish wine, that French people would only add when cooking

Viola
19-10-2009, 14:12
But never buy Arbatskoe in Mcw - it is poisonous!

I can't say how many bottles of this wine we consumed during the years in the uni... and still alive lol

beserg
19-10-2009, 14:43
Some Ukrainian wines are surprisingly decent especially with the value-for-money factor in mind, like Chabot from near Odessa.

Last time when I bought a Russian wine out of curiosity, I smelled it was simply off (sourish stench) the instant I opened it. No more gamble for me.

Cheap Chilean wines can be the nastiest rotgut :yuk:, but I do love their upper-end cab savs for their rich black curranty undertones.

Otherwise, give me South West of France any time :drink:

or Oz :11581:

Darya Alexandrovna
19-10-2009, 14:50
I can't say how many bottles of this wine we consumed during the years in the uni... and still alive lol

:11629::D
I have tried that wine in the same circumstances and the only thing I remember about it is morning headache and stomackache. Better avoid these :5387: experiments)))

beserg
19-10-2009, 15:01
Three bottles to yourself will do that to you :)

:11629::D
I have tried that wine in the same circumstances and the only thing I remember about it is morning headache and stomackache. Better avoid these :5387: experiments)))

FatAndy
19-10-2009, 15:32
2 Viola:
we consumed during the years in the uni... - 8)

2 Darya Alexandrovna
morning headache and stomackache - without zakus'? ;)

chartreuse
19-10-2009, 16:09
I simply don't get that "value-for-money" notion, which is so popular here in Russia. I subscribe to good/bad scale only. I like table wine. In the US, I liked Junot -- very cheap french table wine at only $7.99 for 1.5 liter bottle. Spaghetti with red sauce and this wine was heaven on earth (cheap California or Italian wine was much worse btw). Expensive wine ($20+ a bottle) was...well expensive. I like my wine to be drinkable and cheap so I could drink 2 bottles in a row without doing any complex accounting the morning after. There was this really good red wine from Krasnodar Krai. At 50 rub a bottle, it was smooth and tasty. They don't sell it anymore, but if they did, I would be the number one customer.

Darya Alexandrovna
19-10-2009, 16:29
2 Viola:
we consumed during the years in the uni... - 8)

2 Darya Alexandrovna
morning headache and stomackache - without zakus'? ;)

LOL
:11157::mml:

FatAndy
19-10-2009, 17:26
Beer with Arbatskoe??? I can understand beer with portwein... but...:9456:

OlgaT
19-10-2009, 17:26
If to choose among Crimean red dry wines - Inkerman is the best!

I like Cabernet Kachinskoye, Merlo Cabernet, Rubin Chersonesa - strongly recommend, it's better than Massandra. (One problem - I've never seen Inkerman in Moscow).

Inkerman wine (http://www.inkerman.ua/en/main?PHPSESSID=4b11907119f0ab1ae145bba3cc5aaf61)

beserg
19-10-2009, 17:33
I saw Inkerman in Metro in Moscow, but it's not a patch on Chabot wines

If to choose among Crimean red dry wines - Inkerman is the best!

I like Cabernet Kachinskoye, Merlo Cabernet, Rubin Chersonesa - strongly recommend, it's better than Massandra. (One problem - I've never seen Inkerman in Moscow).

Inkerman wine (http://www.inkerman.ua/en/main?PHPSESSID=4b11907119f0ab1ae145bba3cc5aaf61)

OlgaT
19-10-2009, 17:38
I saw Inkerman in Metro in Moscow, but it's not a patch on Chabot wines
Chabot wine? You mean French? I didn't say it's better than French. I said among Crimean.

Thanks for the information about Metro.

UPD. Oops, I didn't know it's Ukranian... Anyway, not Crimean. ;)

chartreuse
19-10-2009, 17:41
I can understand beer with portwein... but...:9456:
"portwein" baby, yeah :) Speaking of port, can't find any anymore. A couple of years ago, they had a very nice Portuguese Port at Perekrestok, but no more. I like Port. People here prefer Martini (not the cocktail). The last time I asked for martini (shaken, not stirred), they gave me Martini (very red and very sweet). Took awhile to explain the recipe :)

beserg
19-10-2009, 17:41
Chabot (Шабо, Шабские вина) from Odesskaya oblast

Chabot wine? You mean French? I didn't say it's better than French. I said among Crimean.

Thanks for the information about Metro.

OlgaT
19-10-2009, 17:47
Chabot (Шабо, Шабские вина) from Odesskaya oblast
Yes, thank you, I have googled it and found. Updated my post.

Never tried it. But I tried almost all existed and non-existed Crimean wines. So, I am almost an expert at them now. :verycool:

mark467s
19-10-2009, 19:38
it can be tried anytime u know... no matter when...