PDA

View Full Version : Cummunal heating

drwho
15-10-2009, 19:34
I had heard stories about the Russian communal heating before I came here but by jove, they were not joking. They have turned it on in our block and its like a sauna I am cooking 24/7 don't they realize that the climate has changed and is changing- The days of minis 20 and 30 in Russia are long gone before long we will all be sipping Vodkas in Decemeber by the river in Moscow !! :doh:

Rhubard Geoff
15-10-2009, 19:38
I had heard stories about the Russian communal heating before I came here but by jove, they were not joking. They have turned it on in our block and its like a sauna I am cooking 24/7 don't they realize that the climate has changed and is changing- The days of minis 20 and 30 in Russia are long gone before long we will all be sipping Vodkas in Decemeber by the river in Moscow !! :doh:

Lets revisit this post in January. It was only 4 winters ago that it hit minus 34 in Moscow. System will come in handy then. In the meantime, open a window.

drwho
15-10-2009, 20:08
Lets revisit this post in January. It was only 4 winters ago that it hit minus 34 in Moscow. System will come in handy then. In the meantime, open a window.

Ok point taken. I hope you are right! I'll open all the windows and sleep Al fresco :11581:

Rhubard Geoff
16-10-2009, 09:50
Ok point taken. I hope you are right! I'll open all the windows and sleep Al fresco :11581:

But make sure you have the mozzy machines turned on. I got bitten all over last night which is bizzarre for Moscow in October:jawdrop:

drwho
16-10-2009, 10:01
But make sure you have the mozzy machines turned on. I got bitten all over last night which is bizzarre for Moscow in October:jawdrop:

Me too...I have a fly and two mozzis that live in my flat they have been here since I moved in and refuse to leave or die. The only appear at night !!

Ian G
16-10-2009, 10:56
I generally have a thick blanket over the radiators in our flat. It reduces the circulation of the heat a bit. It's a wasteful system.

chartreuse
16-10-2009, 18:27
Donít you have a valve on the radiator? Radiators in the newer building come with a thermostat. Older ones should have a valve that you can close for the night. If the valve is really old with layers of paint on it then it would make sense to replace it with a modern one. Just make sure the plumber installs a quality Italian or German one. Thatís what I would do.

drwho
16-10-2009, 19:18
Donít you have a valve on the radiator? Radiators in the newer building come with a thermostat. Older ones should have a valve that you can close for the night. If the valve is really old with layers of paint on it then it would make sense to replace it with a modern one. Just make sure the plumber installs a quality Italian or German one. Thatís what I would do.

The radiators are behind wooden boxes, its a rented flat, and the heating comes on for the whole building, Russian style. I can't trun it off so just have to sweat as you would in a Swedish log sauna.

chartreuse
16-10-2009, 20:08
The radiators are behind wooden boxes, its a rented flat, and the heating comes on for the whole building, Russian style. I can't trun it off so just have to sweat as you would in a Swedish log sauna.
Still, cut-off valves were standard in the older Moscow buildings. I understand that it's a rental and you don't want to break anything, but the valve should still be somewhere behind the wooden panel close to the radiator's inlet. The temperature in my apartment never rises above 25 Celsius during winter and my thermostats are set to full heat. Sometimes it gets a bit chilly even. Wanna trade? :)

Aussie1973
19-10-2009, 19:01
Still, cut-off valves were standard in the older Moscow buildings. I understand that it's a rental and you don't want to break anything, but the valve should still be somewhere behind the wooden panel close to the radiator's inlet. The temperature in my apartment never rises above 25 Celsius during winter and my thermostats are set to full heat. Sometimes it gets a bit chilly even. Wanna trade? :)

I turned off these valves and the next thing I know the maintenance man was banging on my door and wanting to check the heat. It seems my neighbour was complaining that hers was not working well?

I don't touch them now in case I cause her to freeze to death as she is around 999 years old I think!

drwho
19-10-2009, 19:14
I turned off these valves and the next thing I know the maintenance man was banging on my door and wanting to check the heat. It seems my neighbour was complaining that hers was not working well?

I don't touch them now in case I cause her to freeze to death as she is around 999 years old I think!

Yes I have also been told this, if you are able to turn off your own heating in your flat you will turn of the heating for the flat above, the entire street if not the whole of Russia!!! :applause:

J.D.
19-10-2009, 21:29
It is suppose to be a by pass valve but usually they don't work at all and some times they will turn off your heat but not by pass it to your neighbors. And sometimes if you manage to turn it, it starts spewing water.
So if you want something to happen you'll have to turn the valve, because nobody is going to fix it unless they have too, i.e. your neighbor has no heat or water is leaking.

drwho
19-10-2009, 21:57
It is suppose to be a by pass valve but usually they don't work at all and some times they will turn off your heat but not by pass it to your neighbors. And sometimes if you manage to turn it, it starts spewing water.
So if you want something to happen you'll have to turn the valve, because nobody is going to fix it unless they have too, i.e. your neighbor has no heat or water is leaking.

I'll keep my shorts and T-shirt and hope the weather gets colder.