PDA

View Full Version : Buying train tickets to St. Petersburg?

kcb536
13-10-2009, 16:33
Hi,

I was wondering how and when to buy tickets from Moscow to St. Petersburg. I'm looking to do at the end of December and will need to return on the evening of the 1st. I've heard the overnight train is the best option. What are the names of the better trains? The Red Arrow (and what is this in Russian)?

How do you recommend buying the tickets? Travel agency? At the train station (which one)? Online? One of the ticket offices around the city? Is there a big price difference in where I buy?

I'm looking to go coupe, by the way. Me and one other person are going. What would approximate prices be?

And how early should I buy? Can I buy now? I heard something about 45 days in advance is the earliest you can buy. Is this true? And do you think I'll have trouble getting a spot for the evening of Jan 1?

Thank you!!

tvadim133
13-10-2009, 16:46
I my Got, so many questions.... :sunny:

I will jut sare my experience:

1. I buy tickets to and from S.Petersburg exactly on train stations (all train stations sell tickets to all directions);
2. you can buy tickets via ineternet (or at least to see the prices and schedule) on tutu.ru (I do not think they have english version) and get electronic version of it;
3. To and from S.Petersburg-Moscow there are plenty of trains:

RED ARROw (красная стрела), Avrora e.t.c. + other nights trains, and high-speed train (they come to the final destination in about 4,5 hours).

for example, there are at least 2 high speed trains in S.Petersburg leaving at 16:00 and 17:20 and they arrive at around 22:00-22.30.

The cost per price can be different even for the same class of seats (I do not know why), so you should check what is the most convinient for you.

4. I do not think that on the 1 of January there will be problems with tickets and seats available and you will be able to buy them even 3 days before leaving. But of course. I do it always beforehand.

FatAndy
13-10-2009, 17:10
Let me make some corrections ;).

1) Avrora 159A/160A is high-speed, it departs 16:00-16:30 and arrives 21:30-22:00 to both destinations. Another PM speedy train is Nevsky express 165A/166A at 18:30-23:00. Seats price depends on meal included or not.

2) Almost all overnight trains (including Red Arrow, Nikolaevsky express) depart to SPb from Moscow in timeframe 22:45 to 00:45 from Leningradsky vokzal, m. Komsomolskaya. Be aware that not every train is within 7-8 hours timeframe to reach SPb, some do longer.

Russian railways offer online tickets and payment at Российские железные дороги | О компании (http://www.rzd.ru) (you make order, get order number, pay by credit card and then can print out tickets from ticket machine at train station). All interface at website is in Russian only, ticket printer is bilingual. If I remember correctly you can buy tickets from these machines too at station directly, paying by credit card. Or by cash from usual ticket window.

3) Tickets for trains are available since 45 days in advance.

4) Tickets also available in MZA (Moscow Railway Agency), 3-floor building between Leningradsky and Yaroslavsky vokzals and in БИЛЕТ offices (orange background, white letters) around a city.

kcb536
14-10-2009, 23:03
Thank you for your help and replies!!!

nigel1960
16-10-2009, 01:40
hi if you want a simple and hassle free way to buy tickets contact realrussia.co.uk i have bought several tickets from them , very easy and they managed to get me tickets even when my girlfriend who was in russia at the time was told they were all sold out !

trouble
29-10-2009, 17:36
I think its best to buy online on rzd.ru - you can pick them up at any train station at the electronic machine, so you avoid all the ques... of course you would need some basic russian though ;)

FatAndy
20-11-2009, 18:13
"Sapsan" train tickets available:
Пресс-релизы | Пресс-Центр (http://press.rzd.ru/isvp/public/press?STRUCTURE_ID=654&layer_id=4069&refererVpId=1&refererPageId=704&refererLayerId=4065&id=73027)
Three times a day.

Slavyana
20-12-2009, 19:33
From my experience the best place in the ticket office on S.peterburg railways. They start to sell first most expensive tickets. Tell them, that you do not have a lot of money and you will get much cheaper tickets. Slavyana

sartreana
25-01-2010, 03:21
Very useful information - thanks!

anahet
01-02-2010, 14:15
I think its best to buy online on rzd.ru - you can pick them up at any train station at the electronic machine, so you avoid all the ques... of course you would need some basic russian though ;)

There's an English version of this site.
http://eng.rzd.ru/

FatAndy
01-02-2010, 15:03
There's an English version of this site. - try to buy ticket via it ;)

anahet
01-02-2010, 15:20
Well, that's another story :-) But at least it can be helpful.

stas981234
07-02-2010, 11:43
I use ufs-online dot ru

to buy tickets from Moscow to SPB
very handy