PDA

View Full Version : Spirit sales restricitions at night

iainmace
12-10-2009, 04:08
On a recent visit to NN, a city I used to live in, I was surprised to see notices displayed in all supermarkets informing customers that it it now illegal to sell anything stronger than 15% between 10pm and 8.30pm. Russian friends subsequently told me that that law is a federal one, but that in most of Russia it is not observed. It seems that in the Nizhegorodskaya oblast' this law is observed, at least in big supermarkets.

What's your experience? Is it still possible to buy vodka at 5 am in the city on the Volga?

robertmf
12-10-2009, 05:33
On a recent visit to NN, a city I used to live in, I was surprised to see notices displayed in all supermarkets informing customers that it it now illegal to sell anything stronger than 15% between 10pm and 8.30pm. Russian friends subsequently told me that that law is a federal one, but that in most of Russia it is not observed. It seems that in the Nizhegorodskaya oblast' this law is observed, at least in big supermarkets.

What's your experience? Is it still possible to buy vodka at 5 am in the city on the Volga?

Don't you mean between 10pm and 8:30am :question: Who does the "enforcing" ? The Militia ?

For comparison, here in Pennsylvania liquor stores are run by the state :bird: and :drink: are open @ 9am - 9pm
Other states will vary. Wines & beers can be purchased in some supermarkets, in some states.

FatAndy
12-10-2009, 10:47
Nearly same situation is in Perm'. But they forbid it at shops only, so pubs/restaurants/bars are happy to help you ;)

Larry Paradine
12-10-2009, 20:12
I haven't seen signs indicating a similar restriction here in Cheboksary, but I have noticed a recent tendency for shops and supermarkets to close at 10pm, a good hour earlier than they used to. Next time I have occasion to enter one of the few remaining круглосуточно outlets after the witching hour I'll check the section that stocks the hard stuff.

GaNozri
12-10-2009, 23:36
No liquor (should be) sold after 23"00 in Russia. How this law will get implemented remains to be seen.

antonsakharov
12-10-2009, 23:58
Yes, this law is in effect in NN. It is enforced by the stores. By the way "15%" is included in ban, so buying a Martini is a no-no.

RydeR
13-10-2009, 18:11
Well I guess that's one way to raise revenue for the beer companies lol.