PDA

View Full Version : Check out my new 'blog

85StoneWhiteFurball
27-12-2004, 14:48
OK - rather than hogging up bandwidth on this site, I've decided to keep my own blog including all sorts of random thoughts, rants etc generally connected to Moscow as well as on other topics. This is not meant as competition to the Site - it is a private and non-commercial fun project - if it does attract attention I'll be speaking to the Site ppl about making it a part of the site as I have enough business projects to worry about without getting into the website business. As it is, I have posted a link to the Site on my blog.

So, have fun:

http://moscowgabfest.blogspot.com/

Just one request - pls do not use the comments section for any type of discourse that would be censored here - ie: gratuitous obscenities; racism; extreme nationalist statements. I have friends from many different cultures and backgrounds who will be looking at it and I don't want to have to erase comments as I have better things to do with my life.

Oh, and now I will be keeping to the 2 non-info post rule a day because I'd rather rant in my own padded cell than here in this zoo :).

DJ Biscuit
27-12-2004, 16:00
Originally posted by 85StoneWhiteFurball
OK - rather than hogging up bandwidth on this site, I've decided to keep my own blog including all sorts of random thoughts, rants etc generally connected to Moscow as well as on other topics. This is not meant as competition to the Site

I've seen it and you are right.....it is no competition to this site!

DPG
27-12-2004, 16:49
Lol!

Ok, I have to take issue with/query you on one point - the place where you say that you are an 'emigre' rather than an 'expat'.

My understanding of the word 'emigre' (and I checked it in a dictionary and was correct) is that it is "someone who has been forced to leave a country permanently, usually for political reasons".

Doesn't sound much like you!?

Peyote, however, he's a different story altogether!!;-)

Sidney Bliss
27-12-2004, 16:53
Originally posted by DPG

Japanese bastard!

85StoneWhiteFurball
27-12-2004, 16:57
WordNet Dictionary - Emigre

Definition: [n] someone who leaves one country to settle in another

No mention of political reasons, though I agree that the word does have such a connotation. Could be US vs UK usage. In any case I cannot think of a better word.

DJ Biscuit
27-12-2004, 17:01
That's about as far as I read.

émigré
• noun a person who has emigrated, especially for political reasons.

— ORIGIN French.

At the very least that would mean you are a Russian citizen and have renounced your American citizenship.

I rather think you were trying to show off, sussed mate!

85StoneWhiteFurball
27-12-2004, 17:05
Nope - just trying to show that I have few ties to the US and am here permanently. What dictionary is this from? The OED?

DJ Biscuit
27-12-2004, 17:13
Yes.

And this is from Webster's:

Variant(s): also emi·gré /'e-mi-"grA, "e-mi-'/
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: French émigré, from past participle of émigrer to emigrate, from Latin emigrare
: EMIGRANT; especially : a person forced to emigrate for political reasons

DJ Biscuit
27-12-2004, 17:15
And how about this from the Cambridge American English Dictionary:

Definition
émigré, emigré [Show phonetics]
noun [C]
someone who has had to leave their country permanently, usually for political reasons

85StoneWhiteFurball
27-12-2004, 17:15
So should I switch it to emigrant :)? No one's gonna read it anyway - what's the difference? :p

Sidney Bliss
27-12-2004, 17:17
I don't want to have to erase comments as I have better things to do with my life.

Like what?! :D

DJ Biscuit
27-12-2004, 17:17
And this is from the Encarta American Dictionary:

·mi·gré [ émmi grŕy ] (plural é·mi·grés)

noun

political refugee: somebody who has had to leave his or her native country, usually for political reasons, especially somebody who fled abroad after the French or Russian revolutions

[Late 18th century. From French, past participle of émigrer , from Latin emigrare

DJ Biscuit
27-12-2004, 17:18
So should I switch it to emigrant :)? No one's gonna read it anyway - what's the difference? :p

Aint that a fact!

I'd delete the whole page, it's tripe at best.

DJ Biscuit
27-12-2004, 17:20

No.

EMIGRANT; especially : a person forced to emigrate for political reasons

If you are here on a visa you are certainly not an emigrant. You may be an immigrant if you have citizenship, dual or otherwise.

85StoneWhiteFurball
27-12-2004, 17:20
Originally posted by DJ Biscuit
Aint that a fact!

:rolleyes: there is only one page. That is what blogging is - ranting and disorganised thoughts - some people like it, some don't. Given time, it will get better - I wanted to rant a bit about some crap that is personally bothersome to me (and which appeals to another group that will be reading the blog) before I get into the better stuff.

Sidney Bliss
27-12-2004, 17:23
Originally posted by DJ Biscuit

What have you got against tripe?

Halyavshik
27-12-2004, 17:25
I don't think emigres explicitly have to have left their original country for political reasons, but I certainly infer it as being more permanent than 'expatriate'. I would say that unless you use the two words interchangeably, the logically implied difference has to be that an emigre has official residence or citizenship. Because there's really nothing in the word 'expatriate' that precludes longevity. How many expats on these boards have been here longer than 7, 8, 9, 10 years or more ? But, I think one could also make a case that the two words are synonymous with each other since expatriates can have residency in another country as well.

85StoneWhiteFurball
27-12-2004, 17:26
In that case, next year I will have official residence, so I am about 3-6 months ahead of myself.

kniga
27-12-2004, 17:32
85StoneWhiteFurball,

It would seem that you atavar is quite accurate, then, since it is a bear taking a dump.

J.D.
27-12-2004, 17:55
Maybe 'fugitive' would be better.

Then again maybe not. That would imply that you're wanted.

peyote
27-12-2004, 18:01
Originally posted by DPG

Originally posted by Sidney Bliss
Japanese bastard! LOL :D :D :D

am4rw
27-12-2004, 20:57
Here's to hoping you find love in the new year. You've obviously got toooooo much time on your hands! :rolleyes: