PDA

View Full Version : Greetings Irkutsk Ex-pats

rlwhitney
06-10-2009, 23:04
Hi there,

I'm Russ. I have been told that I will be shipping out to Russia soon to work for Schlumberger as a field engineer. I am eager to learn more about Irkutsk, as well as Russian customs and any general information you wish you would have known before moving to Irkutsk.

Hope to talk with all of you more.

-Russ

bilverstone29
07-10-2009, 12:33
Hi Russ,

I lived in Irkutsk for 9 months 2006-7, so any questions just ask. I know things might've changed, but I could provide some general info and local contacts there if you're interested.

robertmf
07-10-2009, 22:55
Hi there,

I'm Russ. I have been told that I will be shipping out to Russia soon to work for Schlumberger as a field engineer. I am eager to learn more about Irkutsk, as well as Russian customs and any general information you wish you would have known before moving to Irkutsk.

Hope to talk with all of you more.

-Russ
Great city :D and you have the scenic Lake Baikal just to the South.

rlwhitney
12-10-2009, 06:31
I will begin by confessing I didn't search terribly long for any other threads that may answer this question, but I figured it could be location specific.

Growing up in Texas, I have yet to experience a cold winter. (I went to school farther north, but winter there was the occasional day below 15).

I was wondering what an Irkutsk veteran might suggest in the way of surviving these infamous Siberian winters.

I had been told that silk long-underwear is all the rage. I can only bring two suitcases worth of stuff, and at least half of one will be empty when I leave the states since I have to put my work clothes and other gear once I receive it in Tyumen.

robertmf
12-10-2009, 07:02
I will begin by confessing I didn't search terribly long for any other threads that may answer this question, but I figured it could be location specific.

Growing up in Texas, I have yet to experience a cold winter. (I went to school farther north, but winter there was the occasional day below 15).

I was wondering what an Irkutsk veteran might suggest in the way of surviving these infamous Siberian winters.

I had been told that silk long-underwear is all the rage. I can only bring two suitcases worth of stuff, and at least half of one will be empty when I leave the states since I have to put my work clothes and other gear once I receive it in Tyumen.

Buy local what you need when you get there.

Think валенки :-)
Russian Valenki Felt Boots - RusClothing.com (http://www.rusclothing.com/valenki-felt-boots/adults/)

Yo'all come back now, hear :rofl:

FatAndy
12-10-2009, 10:37
2 rlwhitney:
There are two proverbs popular in Siberia:
1) Siberian doesn't afraid heat;
2) Sibetian is not that who doesn't afraid frost, but that who wear warm clothes.

Maybe you'll not beleive me, but there are shops in Irkutsk where you can buy everything for any season. So use your luggage volume in a smart way ;)

rlwhitney
14-10-2009, 00:42
In regards to cell phones out in Irkutsk, do you have any advice?

I have been doing a bit of reading online regarding Russian cell phones, and it seems that there is no full-coverage national carrier (I need coverage in Tyumen and Irkutsk).

Thanks to all who are responding and supporting.

trebor
14-10-2009, 09:25

Don't worry too much about Russian winters. Everyone is wrapped up warm and everywhere is heated. A word of advice, buy yourself a good long winter coat in the states before leaving. The same thing in Russia will cost a lot more. Don't worry about long johns and pull overs. You'll only find you want to take them off when you get inside when you get where your going.
Good pair of boots will save you money in the states too. Scarf, hat and gloves can be bought in the market in Tyumen. Ask in the office when you get there.
I imagine you will take advice about work. As a field engineer you are outside for long periods?

BTS or Beeline are popular/biggest telephone carriers and i'm almost certain they both provide coverage in Irkutsk. They cover all major cities. They definately provide coverage in Tyumen. I've had them both there. Plenty of places there to buy them. You'll need someone to buy you a SIM card in Tyumen if you don't have registration there.
Not sure how/if you can get coverage out in the field but the office in Tyumen will know the answer i'm sure.

Best of luck. I don't know much about Irkutsk but i lived for quite a while in Tyumen. I have an apartment there just behind the Schlumberger office. So if you have any questions just ask.
Try this website too for general info: Life in Tyumen - Home (http://lifeintyumen.weebly.com/index.html)

FatAndy
14-10-2009, 10:22
2 rlwhitney:
At least MTS (Час‚н‹м клиен‚ам - œосква и ŸодмосковŒе (http://www.mts.ru)) has coverage at both Irkutsk and Tyumen'.
If you have multiband GSM device from US (which can work at 900 and 1800 MHz), bring it with you, then just change SIM card for Russian one from local operator. Check also charger for it - if it can work at 220 V input voltage, you'll just need plug adapter here, available at radiomarkets or in airports (much more expensive ;)).
If your device is not multiband GSM, then you'll need phone here - buy it locally at mobile shop and ask guys to switch interface to English. They can also make a copy of contacts from your US SIM card to local one.

rlwhitney
16-10-2009, 06:47
Don't worry too much about Russian winters. Everyone is wrapped up warm and everywhere is heated. A word of advice, buy yourself a good long winter coat in the states before leaving. The same thing in Russia will cost a lot more. Don't worry about long johns and pull overs. You'll only find you want to take them off when you get inside when you get where your going.
[/url]

Any suggestions as to where I can find a coat/boots rated for this temperature?

Thanks again for your responses and advice!

trebor
16-10-2009, 10:06
Any suggestions as to where I can find a coat/boots rated for this temperature?

Thanks again for your responses and advice!

If you're in the States i can't help you, only to say that it will probably be cheaper there and better quality than buying in Russia.

In Tyumen try the market. Located in the center of the city not far from Schlumberger office.
There are a few 'Malls' as well. Goodwin is okay but it will be more expensive than the market.
Let me know if you want detailed directions/info.

I wouldn't go over board with the boots. Get a sturdy pair fur lined but remember you will have to wear them inside where you go (shops, restaurants, offices etc) or take them off each time. Both can be a nuisance.

texhou
16-10-2009, 12:19
If you are in Texas, I would just go to an Academy sports store and check out boots in the hunting and fishing section. They should be ok for what you need. You can then take your time when you get to Russia and look around for the best prices. Extra warm socks with a good waterproof boot will give you the same protection.

As for 110 to 220v adapters, buy as many as you need in the states. They are much cheaper there. most cell phone charges are autoswitch between 110 and 240v. Just look at the small print on the phone charger.

trebor
16-10-2009, 14:59
If you have a regular phone you will be able to pick up a charger in the market in Russia very cheap.

bilverstone29
30-11-2009, 15:48
Russ,

Regarding the phone: there was a local network called Baikal West Com which was very cheap when I was there. Only downside was that it only covers that area. Other than that, megafon was just opening up there when I was there and mts was well established.
The others are right about clothes. The main thing is very good outerwear. In winter when on the bus I often thought of the Russians weird idea that foreigners expected bears to roam the streets of Russia and thought 'well in their fur coats these people look like big bears' . However, coats are likely to be cheaper in the West than in Irkutsk, but a fur hat and decent mittens etc could be bought there. Also, lined boots might be best to be bought there, but woolen socks in the West.

Hope this helps.

KWFP
15-04-2012, 22:42
I have also been studying in Irkutsk. If you have more questions about anything just contact me.