PDA

View Full Version : Multiple vs. single entry visa?

isy8191
01-10-2009, 18:50
Hello all,
i'm moving to Moscow in November for 9 months to take a Russian language course. For now I am planning on getting a 3-month visa, which I will then extend once in Russia. Does anyone know what the rules regarding leaving and then re-entering Russia once I am there are? Do you need to have a multiple entry visa or is it simply a matter of registration?

Many thanks for any help!

Isabel

Bels
01-10-2009, 19:56
I am going to assume that you will have an invitation from where you are studying. And that you will eventually have a students' visa. The college or university should assist you with this. As far as I am aware there are several student members here, and perhaps some of them can help you.

isy8191
02-10-2009, 14:28
Yes - I will have an invitation from the institute and will get a student visa. But for any Russian visa in general, does anyone know whether you can come and go from the country as often as you like, as long as it's within the time allowed by the visa?

Rhubard Geoff
02-10-2009, 15:05
Yes - I will have an invitation from the institute and will get a student visa. But for any Russian visa in general, does anyone know whether you can come and go from the country as often as you like, as long as it's within the time allowed by the visa?

I read somewhere that student visas are multi entry and with no limits of stay on them

Types of Russian visa and Russian visa laws: a tourist russian visa, a business visa, a student visa, work visa, a personal visa, a short 72 hour visa, transit visa -- WayToRussia.Net Guide to Russia (http://www.waytorussia.net/RussianVisa/Types.html)

Bogatyr
02-10-2009, 21:57
I read somewhere that student visas are multi entry and with no limits of stay on them

... and from what I read require the most preparation and lead time (3 months at least), are probably limited and tied closely the academic calendar (e.g., would be issued for starting semester dates only?). If you want a "long" student visa you'd need to be enrolled in a "long" study program, which can potentially run to many thousands of dollars.

But it's definitely one of the options.

Bels
02-10-2009, 22:06
If you want to be a student , what are your concerns about running in and out of the contry. Shouldn't you be more concerned about staying without interruption of your study. Who on earth want to run back and forth costing lots of money unless you are a special type of businessman. You should be more concerned about un-interrupted study. I'm sorry but I don't understand your your desire to pop back and forth within 90 day periods.

Bels
02-10-2009, 22:07
What is your problem on entering and re-entering?

isy8191
11-10-2009, 16:50
If you want to be a student , what are your concerns about running in and out of the contry. Shouldn't you be more concerned about staying without interruption of your study. Who on earth want to run back and forth costing lots of money unless you are a special type of businessman. You should be more concerned about un-interrupted study. I'm sorry but I don't understand your your desire to pop back and forth within 90 day periods.

I don't want to 'pop back and forth' within the 90-day period, but I need to be able to leave in December for an important university interview in England, then return to Moscow. I was also just curious about whether I would have the ability to travel to the Baltic states or other neighbouring countries during holidays, e.g. early January. I've found out I can get a double entry study visa for the 3 months, then extend it once i'm there - though I'm still not sure whether I'll be allowed to have a multiple entry visa once the 3 months have passed.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Bels
11-10-2009, 16:59
It can only be extended from the place where you are studying and they should help you in this area. When you can leave and enter the country, and how many times you can do it on the extended student's visa I don't know. But perhaps someone else with personal experience of such a situation can help you, as you are not the only foreign student in Russia.