PDA

View Full Version : elbrus (republic of kabardino-balkaria)

sami
16-12-2004, 15:53
i assume it's possible to fly to mineralnie vody from moscow with normal tourist visa (moscow) as mineralnie vody is in stavropolski krai ...

http://www.go-elbrus.com/maps/politic.gif

BUT, is it possible to continue from min.vod. to elbrus (republic of kabardino-balkaria) without visa (or some special invitation) to this republic? officially surely not but how in practise?

basically my question: is it necessary to organise the trip to elbrus through some travel agency (to get invitation to republic of kabardino-balkaria) ... getting the feeling that this is the case

thanks,
sami

Kseniya
16-12-2004, 17:11
Hi Sami, you don't need any additional invitation there. I guess you have Russian visa, don't you? Check at www.go-elbrus.com - there is BBS (forum) where you may ask Lisa about this. I am leaving on 31st there :)

sami
16-12-2004, 17:32
hello kseniya =)

my friends in finland stated in their visa applications that their destination is elbrus and visa agency said that they would need invitations (e.g. from hotel) to the republic of kabardino-balkaria +)

i guess they should just put moscow as their destination ... ... finnish people are too honest ,)

sibir discount flights to mineralnie vody for 3000rub wouldn't be too bad ... ...

trebor
16-12-2004, 18:54
Its just a question and slightly left of thread but when i was at school i was taught that Mt. Blanc (15,771 ft./4,807 m) was the tallest mountain in Europe.
Since being in Russia i have been told that Mt. Elbus (18,481 ft./5633 m) is the highest in Europe
Can anyone clarify?

Kseniya
16-12-2004, 19:10
Trebor...it is strange...but I was taught that Elbrus is the highest mountain in Europe (5642 meters!). It is one of the most beautiful mountains in the world...

trebor
16-12-2004, 19:27
Originally posted by Kseniya
Trebor...it is strange...but I was taught that Elbrus is the highest mountain in Europe (5642 meters!). It is one of the most beautiful mountains in the world...

I was told that summit of Elbrus is difficult to define if its in Europe or Cenral Asia.
The world is holding its breath as we seek the answer to this VERY important point!:)

Sapientia
20-12-2004, 11:26
I think it is some 10 kilometres within the generally accepted geographical boundaries of Europe. However, the French do not acknowledge the region as being in europe, hence the confusion.

A quick google around will show that most serious reference sites accept Elbrus as being the highest mountain in europe (eg NG). Indeed, if you wish to become a member of the 7 summits club, it is Elbrus and not Blanc that must be summited.

Not too difficult climb, provided that sufficient time is spent acclimatising. It really helps to bear in mind that an 85 year old once summited it!