PDA

View Full Version : Is a course necessary to teach ESL in Russia?

aussiem
20-09-2009, 17:48
Hi

My husband and I may be moving to Moscow within the next 6 mths for his work. I would like to look at teaching ESL, but just wondering which course, if it makes a difference, makes you more employable or easier to find a job. TEFL or TESOL? Also, what sort of rate of pay can one expect? I have university qualifications.

Any advice would be great.

Thank you!

MickeyTong
20-09-2009, 18:19
G'day, Sheila. No doubt a man called Bels will respond to your query, and his reply will clarify any questions you have about qualifications and earning potential.
Best wishes.

Bels
20-09-2009, 18:28
It helps a lot to have a TEFL or TESOL especially if you have had no prior knowledge or experience in teaching English as a foreign language. The importance is not on whether it is TESOL Teaching English as a second language or whether it is TEFL Teaching English as a foreign language The importance is that the course is accredited by recognised bodie, and that the course is long enough(about 160 hours) and that throughout this course you have had at least 12 hours practical assessed and observed teacher training.

What kind of course do you want to take? at a college or online. At a college a typical course will be fulltime intensive for a month.

Here is the British Councils specifications of what a TEFL course should be, and as a large proportion of employers throughout the world, it's wort checking out.

http://www.britishcouncil.org/types_englang_learnteachuk.pdf

A good online course I recommend is this one:click here Certificate in TESOL PLUS (http://www.intesoltesoltraining.com/TESOL-courses-PLUS.htm)

Bels
20-09-2009, 18:35
G'day, Sheila. No doubt a man called Bels will respond to your query, and his reply will clarify any questions you have about qualifications and earning potential.
Best wishes.

You were so right, but I am not the only one here who can make comments of experience here. There are many others, and looking at other previous posters not all of them would agree with me. So other views of experience would be most welcome as that is what so good about a forum.

GaNozri
20-09-2009, 18:35
Why bother? It seems that everybody and their grandmother can teach English nowadays.

Bels
20-09-2009, 18:38
Why bother? It seems that everybody and their grandmother can teach English nowadays.

Nowadays are getting tougher. Just check up the current TEFL vacancies and read what qualifications they are asking for.

Bels
20-09-2009, 20:13
Hi

My husband and I may be moving to Moscow within the next 6 mths for his work. I would like to look at teaching ESL, but just wondering which course, if it makes a difference, makes you more employable or easier to find a job. TEFL or TESOL? Also, what sort of rate of pay can one expect? I have university qualifications.

Any advice would be great.

Thank you!

Rates of pay have been well covered in this folder. What kind of income and standard of living are you looking for? I am going to make a very good assumption that your husband is going to get by far much more income than you, and all you need is pocket money. Am I right?

aussiem
21-09-2009, 14:36
Thanks everyone for your input. I'll check the courses out and job ads to see what they want and go from there. I may wait till the new year cause we won't be moving before then. Yes, Bels, just pocket money for me and also something to do. While hubbie is working I gotta do something. Hell knows I can't afford to be a kept wife who shops all day over there!

Do you all enjoy living there?

thanls

aussiem

alterego
21-09-2009, 15:06
You are not likely to be asked about your qualifications here. Many schools will hire you because you are a native speaker and just hope that you can teach. Even if you can't really teach they may keep you on but schools don't pay very well.
I wouldn't suggest going through the time and expense of getting a certificate if you just want pocket money. You can probably sell yourself as a conversationalist if you just need pocket money. If you do want to become a real teacher and get a certificate most of the big English schools have a program they will sell you. The advantage of this is it has built in practice teaching. You might even be able to negotiate something with their fee if you are going to be teaching for them.

Bels
21-09-2009, 21:38
There is another option with much more money. If you are comfortable working and teaching children at their own home you could advertise in the classifieds offering your services. There are plenty of oligarchs in Moscow seeking those such as yourself.

In the meantime to gain confidence, you can try your local college for partime courses on working with or teaching children. This is wellpaid work and most enjoyable.