PDA

View Full Version : Teaching Beginners ages 4-6

djm10us
15-09-2009, 22:03
Hi,
I have been in Moscow for 6 years teaching.
I work at a private school and teach 2nd grade and then private lessons.

I have a question for other teachers working with young children.(ages4-7)

I have 3 girls I am teaching. Their ages are from 3.5- 5.5. They are absolute beginners.

What programs have you been using? Are there any new programs that you recommend?
Also, do you know any helpfull websights with materials? Free or pay.

I have been teaching for a long time and I am still using the same programs I used 5 years ago. Just wanted to hear come comments and recomendations from other teachers.

Thanks,
Donald

Bels
15-09-2009, 23:06
When you say you have three, are you talking about teaching small groups, ore you teaching them all separately with different families. I have set programmes for those from the age of five. Oly recently have I found a greater for demad for three year olds ad slightly younger. I find them the most difficult eve though I have a three year old son on of my own who is Russian. My son was and still is very easy to teach English, and it would be fantastic if they were all the same, but unfortunately they are not.

Yes it certainly needs thaught for the very young, first thigs first is building up their confidence and liking you. ot as easy as dealing with your own children. Then it;s creating interest and having them willingly learn. That's the secret.

Hi,
I have been in Moscow for 6 years teaching.
I work at a private school and teach 2nd grade and then private lessons.

I have a question for other teachers working with young children.(ages4-7)

I have 3 girls I am teaching. Their ages are from 3.5- 5.5. They are absolute beginners.

What programs have you been using? Are there any new programs that you recommend?
Also, do you know any helpfull websights with materials? Free or pay.

I have been teaching for a long time and I am still using the same programs I used 5 years ago. Just wanted to hear come comments and recomendations from other teachers.

Thanks,
Donald

djm10us
15-09-2009, 23:32
Yes, I am talking about private lessons, one-on-one.

My only group lessons are my 2nd grade kids at school.

rusmeister
16-09-2009, 22:10
Try "Get Ready" by Felicity Hopkins. It would work for the 5-year-old, at least. It's the best series I know for little kids, being a little-kid teacher myself.

Bels
16-09-2009, 22:55
For the five year olds I have been very successful with small groups and one to ones on starting with EXCELLENT STARTER and working your way upwards to Excellent leval 3. I have many children now up to excellent 3 which is claimed to be of KET level. After completion of these four courses, I have found that these kids really do know how to communicate with me.

You will need the course books, activity books starting from level 1, the cd's are a must and the teacher's book is a great help, with assessment tests and extra activities. The course really does work. Good backup for grammar is Roundup from starter level going upwards to level 5. I swear on them, they are terrific as they are very visual full of colourful pictures and good for vocabulary without translation, hence work on the basis of visual aid and repitition. They really are very useful and enjoyable to the kids. It makes English so easy and no translation; A good set of visual aid cards also help a lot , again part of the Excellent package.

Such books can be purchased at Brittania in Moscow. If you say are a teacher with many students you may well be able to negotiate a good discount, and if you purchase many books at one time you can arrange free delivery and pay ondelivery.

The contact with address can be found on longman.ru There are many other choices you can make there. If you want the full catologue available in English try the main website pearsonlongman.co.uk and look for catalogue.

Bels
16-09-2009, 23:00
Those under five need more thought and discussion. Main thing is to gain their confidence in you, and allow them to want to see you again and again. Show some affection like your own child, as that is priority. Don't press on them if they show no interest, keep the activities changable and keep them fun.

HOpefully more will expand on this, as this is a big long topic, which needs many ideas. They need fun and confidence with you, but at the same time you have a plan to teach them English. English can be fun.

djm10us
16-09-2009, 23:32
I have been using Excellent and roundup also. In the school I work at we use Excellent 1-4 this is for about 1st to 5th grade. Then we change to world club.

I have been using Get Set Go in some my private lessons. Today I bought a new program called Kids Box from Cambridge press.
Levels 1 and 2 - Kid's Box - Cambridge University Press (http://www.cambridge.org/elt/kidsbox/level1and2.asp)

Probably soon I will stop teaching at a school and teach only private lessons. Allready I have cut in half the time I teach at school.

Does anyone know any good websight for materials?
I like the websight onestopenglish.com

Thanks

Bels
16-09-2009, 23:53
As I stated pearsonlongman. co.uk and the Russian dept longman.ru

djm10us
17-09-2009, 07:33
Where is Britania?

I usually buy books at Relod. There are 2 stores.
Англо-русские словари, английские книги и тесты, самоучители языков, учебники английского языка издательства Oxford - магазин Релод (http://www.relod.ru)
I go to the one near metro Сухаревская, Пушкарев переулк д 17

Bels
17-09-2009, 21:06
Brittania is at Pavilitskaya, Moscow. Heres the link with map and full address. I have found this bookstore the best priced and more succeptable to giving a discount card more than I could say about other suppliers. Service and delivery is better also.

It is also the main supplier of Longman, Cambridge, Oxford and Pearson publishers, and mentioned from Pearsonlongman site as their only distributer.

Официальный сайт Британии-ИЛТ (http://www.britannia-elt.ru/eng/)

bob-b-d
27-09-2009, 19:59
Can anyone recommend any reading and writting books for absolute beginners (4-5 year olds) They know the alphabet and numbers but I need to get them reading and writting books. The books will be bought by the parents so separate books for reading and writting would be best. And I need Math books in English basically the same level but in math and also math for 6 year olds they can already add upto 3 digits so not something to beginner. And lastly any DVD's or group Computer games that anyone could recommend would be great!
Thanks!

Bels
27-09-2009, 20:32
Take your time for the young ones and don't get carried away. starting from The Excellent starter course bookis a great start along with the cd's. They will be starting to write from this course book and have basic counting skills. The Roundup starter is also a great start for basic grammar. Don't get carried away with anything more such as phonetics. It is argumentively unnecessry for ones so young. They will gain the sounds and pronounciating from key word reading of which I strongly agree with. Real reading without phonetics, and for goodness for ones so young!! NO RUSSIAN TRANLATION! RED IS NOT KRASTNE! AND CAR IS NOT MACHEENA! And anyone who teaches in this manner are imbeciles.

What language was translated for you as Russians when you learnt your first language as Russian. Russian to Russian of course! Same way for the very young learning another language. For adult? Yes that's a different matter. Beginners of 25 plus are very difficult to teach English. So are aunts and Uncles of soviet methods of learning of English very difficult to deal with, when they are trying to help their neices or nephews for example with their homework when they know more than their Aunts. No there is no ye in e and there is a double consonent in written but not not in writing

To be honest there is a battle of soviet English methods and Cambridge methods of English.

And what is the blah blah blah. What on earth do you want to know that for, just simply pronounce and speak in English. That's it.

Boy you you should hear these people who think they know better trying to help their neices in homework, and in the end they are only confusing a child who knows more English than they do.

Bels
27-09-2009, 20:56
I must admit that I don't have problem five years plus. But their is an increasing demand for three year olds and sometimes I am at a loss. How do we keep them interestested and develop their skills in English as the grow. I try plasticine and make heads , eyes nose etc. I try drawing ang and colouring in different themes. I try books and simpke reading for that age group, but not every child is the same. And to be honest with you I am finding this age group the most difficult to come up with something. By the way I do have a three year old Russian boy of my own and no problem :) He is bilingual. of course there is a difference, my child is with me when I am not working, whereas the child I teach could be three hours a week of English and no more. So I am still learning, and I will improve somehow.

bob-b-d
28-09-2009, 00:26
With 3 year olds I think just playing and doing projects in English. Then just watch DVD's and read story books. Anything else is too much although too much seems to be a common problem in this area of the world :)

djm10us
29-09-2009, 21:52
I want to add that 3-year-olds seem to love art type of activities.
I try to plan something like finger painting or working with clay or just colouring for them every lesson.

Bels
29-09-2009, 22:03
I want to add that 3-year-olds seem to love art type of activities.
I try to plan something like finger painting or working with clay or just colouring for them every lesson.

Yes, tried it with plasticine and playdough and I really must come up with more ideas in that area. Colouring and books just seems to bore one three year old I have in particular. She's hyperactive and needs to run around part of the lesson. I really must get more creative if the demand continues with three year olds. Trouble is I have got a three year old boy of my own, but it's not the same.

bob-b-d
30-09-2009, 14:23
I think the main thing is just speak and have the kids repeat. At that age just fun, fun, and more fun (while speaking in English of course.) :) I think we forget sometimes how young these kids really are. Also at this age building a foundation for their future (kindergaten) that is the key. I think part of the problem is we begin to get brainwashed with the Russian mentality of getting ahead of the game (For example University at age 15-16). Most of what these kids hear is subconsciously being stored in the brain and will be remembered later on. I think sometimes we just need to let kids live a kid's life!:mml: Maybe even play like pirates or something...:ninja:
:)

P.S. Bels maybe even bring your child along a couple times a month and tell him/her just talk in English.(If your child is multi-lingual that is)

sophieperle
30-09-2009, 14:40
Have you ever tried a few minutes of Boowa and Kwala?
They have games and songs for kiddies (0-6).

I used to play the French version for my children since they were 3-4 y.o. as French is my mother tongue and I raise them bilingual French-Russian.

See uptoten.com or

Boowa and Kwala Home - songs, games, stories... (http://www.boowakwala.com/kids/boowakwala-home.html)

Ps. I just warn you that after a while you just can't stand the little songs anymore :groan:

Oh well. It's all about - and for- children after all...

Bels
30-09-2009, 19:57

I used to play the French version for my children since they were 3-4 y.o. as French is my mother tongue and I raise them bilingual French-Russian.

See uptoten.com or

Boowa and Kwala Home - songs, games, stories... (http://www.boowakwala.com/kids/boowakwala-home.html)

Ps. I just warn you that after a while you just can't stand the little songs anymore :groan:

May I first of all say that this is an excellent site and an excellent idea. However with the difficult customers I have there would be serious problems with the accent in these songs. In fact I am trying to work out what the accent is, as it's not native English. The parents I have do have strict wishes that they do wish their children to be brought up with hearing and speaking an American or British accent. In fact a few of the parents I have were specifically seeking British accents. This appears to be the most popular in the western region of Moscow.

There are also some good nursery songs in youtube, but watch out as the some of the best produced ones come with an Indian accent.

However we are moving on the right track, but believe me, some parents do find accent just as important as pronounciation.

Bels
30-09-2009, 20:55

See uptoten.com or

Nothing like testing a link to see it works out, and that's what I did. I had my my Russian wife, 12year old son and three year old using this site. Reactions from wife and 12 year old son was borjomois !! 2 out of 10 I'm afraid :(

But my three year old son , he was singing along and very attentive , although even he found some of the sounds and pronounciation very strange. But he gives it 10 out of ten for fun.

I give it out 10 out of 10 for keeping attention of a child , but as a parent's perspective for teaching children I give it 5 out of 10. I think we need similar sites that are at least edited by natives. There are many pronounciation mistakes of which could not be corrected if the child is guided by a non English speaking native.

This site could be very good if they would only ask for an English speaking native to act as an editor.

Olchik09
20-11-2009, 19:06
Donald, would you like to teach a 5 year old boy?MODERATOR COMMENT: Please do not post contact details. Please use Private Message feature.

Bels
20-11-2009, 20:44
Donald, would you like to teach a 5 year old boy? MODERATOR COMMENT: Please do not post contact details. Please use Private Message feature.

It would be a good idea if you state your are where you want your child taught. For me it is the Moscow Rublevka area only.

Bels
20-11-2009, 20:54
I think the main thing is just speak and have the kids repeat. At that age just fun, fun, and more fun (while speaking in English of course.) :) I think we forget sometimes how young these kids really are. Also at this age building a foundation for their future (kindergaten) that is the key. I think part of the problem is we begin to get brainwashed with the Russian mentality of getting ahead of the game (For example University at age 15-16). Most of what these kids hear is subconsciously being stored in the brain and will be remembered later on. I think sometimes we just need to let kids live a kid's life!:mml: Maybe even play like pirates or something...:ninja:
:)

P.S. Bels maybe even bring your child along a couple times a month and tell him/her just talk in English.(If your child is multi-lingual that is)

My child is so chatty in perfect English and Russian. He loves cartoons movies, Merlin, Ice age, Jungle book, Paddington Bear and many others both in Russian and English. He without doubt loves English nursery Rhymes and music, and he loves dancing. In Merlin for example he enjoys the knights fighting with swords and lances. Perhaps not such a good idea, as he uses his bigger brother as a target.

But unfortunately when he has met our young groups at my school he shuts up, and looks like some quiete little angel. Refusing to speak Russian or English. But at home he is a little monster giving none of the family any rest at all. Give him time I suppose.

But yes for the three year olds it is definatel play, a little art. messy paints. make hats, crowns, helmets. dress up and have fun. If you press them you will lose them. Yes three and four year olds are very hard work.