PDA

View Full Version : Military abroad....

Squirrel_Hunter
14-12-2004, 08:22
Curious - I know popular opinion abroad is against America and its policies abroad... What is the atmosphere like for American soldiers??? Is it the stake - or do they really not care?

pengwn9
14-12-2004, 08:44
Interestingly enough, you have posted your question on a discussion board based in Moscow, Russia. You did notice that when you logged in?

It's a very well kept secret in America, but there are NO US troops stationed in Russia. Shhh, don't tell G Dubbya. Might give him ideas.

koh fever
14-12-2004, 09:41
Am I wrong, or is (s)he obiouslly asking if there is bad sentiment towards amercan soldiers abroad, or do people see some distinction between those who make the policies and those who carry it out. In other words, are am. soldiers seen as monster's or as just doing their job? Not sure why such a snarky remark to a potentially thought-provoking question...

ghost 6-3
14-12-2004, 09:55
That might make sense for American soldiers stationed in NATO countries (I served in Italy), but, as pengwn9 pointed out, there are no soldiers (outside of a MarDet and a few from the Def. Attache office).

A wierd question for a Moscow site. Try other expat sites in countries hosting American soldiers.

boscoe
14-12-2004, 10:36
pengwn, not had your coffee yet? - be nice!

I donít think itís that odd Ė I met an American Marine on Friday, and some of the site members are ex-militaryÖ

kniga
14-12-2004, 10:51
Boscoe,

And some of the ex-military on this site are Tommies, too!

boscoe
14-12-2004, 10:57
Why donít you tell him what it was like being a soldier posted aboard in the 1830ís bookie?

:D

kniga
14-12-2004, 11:27
Boscoe,

It was good duty, as we had already whipped the Brits twice and the land and seas were calm...

kniga
14-12-2004, 11:31
Boscoe,

Check your PMs.

Wish1991
14-12-2004, 12:02
I think it is rather absurd to post such a question...the only time you'll see a soldier (that is...to know one, you'd have to know he was in uniform) is usually when he is pointing a rifle at you, so, yes, people don't necessarily like US soldiers. Then again...having recently been in Saigon, I would say that in certain places, people like men in uniform (but those guys are navy guys...little different btwn a ship makes a port call and a C-147 disembarking troops).

plastique
14-12-2004, 12:05
Certain thug types here do provoke fights with the Marines when they are out. It happens all over the world so their cerfew was rolled back to prevent it, and in uniform or out of it you can pretty much tell who they are.....

Filimon
14-12-2004, 12:07
It is hardly fair to ask an opinion from the people, who never saw a US soldier or talked to him/her. Three marines guarding the Embassy can hardly provide anyone with an insight of the ways of the US military.

You may get some answers (which I doubt - there aren't that many Russians here), just don't expect them to be objective. Most of them will be based on the stuff they show on TV about Iraq.

pengwn9
14-12-2004, 12:29
The question that Squirrel Nut Zipper originally posted asked, "What is the atmosphere like for American soldiers??"

There is a detachment of US Marines in Moscow--newsflash!-- there are NO US SOLDIERS stationed in the country of Russia. Maybe he has Russia confused with one of those other foreign countries full of people with funny accents.

plastique
14-12-2004, 12:39
umm, i was watching AFN and we have an air base in south central Russia...i forget the name, but even the guys i was watching the show with didn't know about it....And the Marines are soldiers as well.

DPG
14-12-2004, 12:40
Originally posted by plastique
umm, i was watching AFN and we have an air base in south central Russia...i forget the name

It's called "Georgia"...!

plastique
14-12-2004, 12:41
HA! No it begins with an I...

Maine Surfer
14-12-2004, 12:42
umm, i was watching AFN and we have an air base in south central Russia...i forget the name, but even the guys i was watching the show with didn't know about it....And the Marines are soldiers as well.

??????????????????????????????????????? Am American base in south central Russia??? Was that Comedy Central you were watching?

That will be the day that I'll die
Bye bye Miss American pie

Maine Surfer
14-12-2004, 12:44
Russia begins with an I? I thought it begins with an R

DPG
14-12-2004, 12:46
HA! No it begins with an I...

Oh! That one is a bit further to the south east - called Iraq!!

Maine Surfer
14-12-2004, 12:48
LOL never thought of Iraq that way

plastique
14-12-2004, 12:59
i think it is a landing area for support for Afganistan. and the base begins with an I. Warning: wisea*s patience level at a low today....

J.D.
14-12-2004, 13:06
Italy?

plastique
14-12-2004, 13:14
Everyone sing with me to the tune of Jingle bells:

You are not
you are not
you are not (with loud emphasis) FUNNY

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I saw a litle kid say that to letterman..it really was kinda funny

J.D.
14-12-2004, 13:17
I'm pretty sure that its not Iran.

Maybe Ice Land?

DJ Biscuit
14-12-2004, 13:18
There is a base used by US military called Incirlik but that's in Turkey, maybe that's what you are thinking of.

DJ Biscuit
14-12-2004, 13:18
Originally posted by J.D.
Maybe Ice Land?

Otherwise known as Iceland.

J.D.
14-12-2004, 13:23
In American English compound words can be seperated for emphasis.

how about Ire Land?

pengwn9
14-12-2004, 13:26

how about Ire Land?

Yeah, but that's not in Russia.....is it?

Halyavshik
14-12-2004, 13:28
I'm pretty sure that Kirgizstan or Turkmenistan allowed us to open a base. Can't remember which one. Definitely one of the 'Stans' though. Neither of them are in Russia either, but they were former Soviet republics, and you don't get much closer than that.

J.D.
14-12-2004, 13:29
Originally posted by pengwn9
Yeah, but that's not in Russia.....is it?

If you're so worried about details then go put some make up on your avatar.

J.D.
14-12-2004, 13:30
Uzbekistan has a quite a large U.S. base
and it does have an 'i' in the middle of it.

DJ Biscuit
14-12-2004, 13:34

how about Ire Land?

How about, you haven't got a clue?

I am sure that even that obscure piece of grammer does not apply to proper names. In fact I am not only sure, I know.

J.D.
14-12-2004, 13:44
Originally posted by DJ Biscuit
How about, you haven't got a clue?

I am sure that even that obscure piece of grammer does not apply to proper names. In fact I am not only sure, I know.

It's only obscure to you because you are British. I told you it's Americanenglish*.

*compounded for de-emphasis

85StoneWhiteFurball
14-12-2004, 13:46
Originally posted by DJ Biscuit
I am sure that even that obscure piece of grammar does not apply to proper names. In fact I am not only sure, I know.

You are 1000% correct, except in the case of Arse Nal (herein employed as a euphemism for what I would really like to post regarding so called native speakers who butcher the English language...)

pengwn9
14-12-2004, 13:51
It's only obscure to you because you are British. I told you it's Americanenglish*.

*compounded for de-emphasis

I thought we were talking about American troops invading Russia. Or Ireland. They don't speak English either.

Shaun
14-12-2004, 15:28
Originally posted by Halyavshik
I'm pretty sure that Kirgizstan or Turkmenistan allowed us to open a base. Can't remember which one. Definitely one of the 'Stans' though. Neither of them are in Russia either, but they were former Soviet republics, and you don't get much closer than that.

there are sizeable bases in uzbekistan, kyrgyzstan and tajikistan. as far as i know, none as yet have penetrated into turkmenbashi-land.

kniga
14-12-2004, 17:42
Plastique,

Marines are NOT soldiers! They are U.S. military personnel, but they are not called "soldiers," which connote Army personnel.

plastique
14-12-2004, 19:36
ah. thanks for clearing that up, but when you translate their name to russian it is morskaya pakhota SOLDATI....at least that is what i have been told....

capone
14-12-2004, 19:43
Originally posted by kniga
Plastique,

Marines are NOT soldiers! They are U.S. military personnel, but they are not called "soldiers," which connote Army personnel.

What are they, then? Armed servicemen with short hair and thick necks?

DPG
14-12-2004, 19:46
I should have thought that technically because they (as are the Royal Marines) are part of the Navy, they are "sailors"??

Or perhaps simply "Marines"...

But what the heck would I know!!

pengwn9
14-12-2004, 20:46
Is that a rhetorical question?

DPG
14-12-2004, 20:54
Nope - would have had question marks instead of exclamation marks if it had been...!!;)

pengwn9
14-12-2004, 21:00
In America we don't have "Royal" anything. Just plain old Marines. And sailors. And soldiers. I never could figure why there was a naval attache here. How far away is the nearest ocean.....? Do we really need that?

DPG
14-12-2004, 21:01
He's not actually a naval attache, Peng!!

(But mum's the word, eh!!)

Cocheese
14-12-2004, 21:31
Originally posted by kniga
Plastique,

Kniga, I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. I think the common belief is that a soldier includes someone from all members of the armed forces, including the Marines. I think if we ask some of the ex-Marines on this site about this, they might take offense at being considered "personnel."

capone
14-12-2004, 21:34
So is 'servicemen' ok? 'Servicepeople' makes them sound like 'flight attendants.'

J.D.
14-12-2004, 23:33
Kat, Marines are soldiers. More Specifically they are Marines.

A Marines will take small offence at being called a soldier but he knows that it is technically correct. He will never allow himself to be called a sailor. However 'soldier of the sea' is acceptable.

plastique
17-12-2004, 01:13
just don't say they are the Navy's best police force....that is really really bad...i got no nookie for a while for that one....

J.D.
17-12-2004, 05:53
You can make it up to him by saying that the Navy is just a water taxi service for the Marines.

zcyka
17-12-2004, 06:17
The other day I was out and about and overheard a couple of folks talking about "jarheads" and "squids." From the gist of the conversation, I took it that this was a reference to people engaged in military service. Anyone able to give some help on that one?

Thread content: The marine base in the middle of the federation is a new one to me.

J.D.
17-12-2004, 07:48
Jarheads are Marines, comes from their haircuts, and squids are sailors, comes from them being a lower form of life.

plastique
18-12-2004, 00:19
not a Marine base, an air base..air support base..flying...air force....

yeah..he doesn't like jarhead so much either....