PDA

View Full Version : HIV Certificate for US Citizens

aroundiemiru
12-09-2009, 19:17
Two HIV certificate questions: Does the test need to be done at a State Clinic? Is there an official certificate, or do you just use the result paper? I've looked high and low on the internet, and haven't found anything helpful yet! The US Embassy website doesn't specify anything either. Last time I got my visa (in 2007) they didn't even ask for the HIV certificate! :question:
Thanks in advance!

CaliforniaChic
14-09-2009, 23:08
Before I applied for my student visa, I had my HIV test done here in Moscow at a hospital near Fruzhnenskaya. Supposedly the hospital has a good reputation and I think its a state hospital. So I got it done there and I gave the consulate the paper that had the test results on it. I had no problems at all with the consulate.

BeachBum
14-09-2009, 23:22
Two HIV certificate questions: Does the test need to be done at a State Clinic? Is there an official certificate, or do you just use the result paper? I've looked high and low on the internet, and haven't found anything helpful yet! The US Embassy website doesn't specify anything either. Last time I got my visa (in 2007) they didn't even ask for the HIV certificate! :question:
Thanks in advance!
If your in Russia. It is easy. Look on foreign migration service website for the medical clinic in your area of registration. Then go to the clinic. Say you neeed an HIV test. They willl give you a payment spravka which you take to Sberbank to pay.; Then you go back. They take your blood. and make the analysis. results in about 5 days. Then you go back to the clinic, and they sing and stamp the one page official form.. It is really quite easy. Why bother with expat clinics. this way there is no question as to the validity of the document . ))

k2file
15-09-2009, 21:29
From my experience, the most recent just last week, the HIV cert requirement is satisfied by a wide range of proofs. This time, while back in the US were I had to return for my work visa application I could not find any clinics which would provide a certificate. Never a problem in the past but two clinics said they can only give verbal results but nothing with a signature on it due to rules established by their lawyers. I finally found a HIV testing outfit located 1200 miles away which would make a referral to neighborhood testing labs where I was in California. The lab would send the results to the referral agency who would than send, by FAX a certificate suitable for the consulate. I questioned them about that, and they reassured me that the Russian consulate accepts non-original certificates. That was suspicious to me because I always had original signed and stamped certs before. Sure enough, the consulate looked over my application and said all was correct and I could pick up the new work visa in 6 days.
So, over the years I have used a Faxed copy, a letter from a US doctor, printed and signed official looking certificates, and also certs from Russian clinics and labs....all worked without objection from the consulate.
So the answer to the original question is: use whatever is easiest for you.

aroundiemiru
15-09-2009, 23:00
CaliforniaChic and BeachBum, thanks, but I'm still in America...
k2file, good to know! I have a feeling that I'm not going to have to do the same thing. I know that I can get a written copy of my results, but I'm not sure if they will sign the papers... What is the company you used for the referral?