PDA

View Full Version : best choice for internet/tv?

thva
10-09-2009, 03:05
Or should I say least bad choice?
Right now I have Akado, but they are a constant hassle. Anyone had better experiences with any of the other options? Who else is there if I want tv plus internet - just Stream? As I understand it, the Beeline option is not going to be as fast, and I don't need the ability to use it in other parts of the city, as I don't normally carry my laptop around.

Qdos
10-09-2009, 09:55
Right now I have Akado, but they are a constant hassle. Anyone had better experiences with any of the other options? Who else is there if I want tv plus internet - just Stream? As I understand it, the Beeline option is not going to be as fast, and I don't need the ability to use it in other parts of the city, as I don't normally carry my laptop around.

All depends on the quality of the cable you receive. That may depend on your geographical location and the number of subscribers sharing signals shunted down the line.

Stream works well. Or it can. I've seen it a few times when fixing routers and computers. That said I've also seen it fail miserably, stalling and lag, interrurptions in the signal, internet speeds faltering due to the load that is placed in the TV bandwidth and the number of subscribers.

The real answer is satellite of course. Get a dish, free up your internet to give you a service which hasn't got the bandwidth sapped out of it from carrying TV signals through your router.

It's also a good idea not to have all your eggs in a single basket...

Strider
10-09-2009, 11:04

you can also try Corbina (which is now beeline), they provide very reliable internet connection and have TV... and speaking about other ISPs that also have TV... Qwerty (http://www.qwerty.ru), NetByNet (http://www.netbynet.ru), Onlime (http://www.onlime.ru/)

it's just what came to my mind, but I'm sure there's more

tvadim133
10-09-2009, 21:28

I vae got TV via Akado, but Internet connection is via MGTS (they have free modem as well).

Actually I faced the problem with MGTS only twice (today has been the second time) but used it more then year.

euromark
12-09-2009, 22:50
BeeLine (Formerly Corbina), Akado, Stream, NetByNet all offer internet + TV. They two services do not compete with each other for bandwidth.

BeeLine's service has PVR (TiVO like function) if you take the higher priced set top box. Also, the best Electronic Program Guide (disclaimer: I work for BeeLine ;-))

MGTS / Stream is probably the most reliable internet (not sure about TV)

All the above mentioned services have Video on Demand service available except for Akado (They may get it soon) BUT: The selection of on demand films is not so grat and they are primarily in Russian language.

Internet Speed: MGTS and Stream use a technology that maxes out at around 10-20Mb. Akado can offer slightly higher. BeeLine, NetByNet and other 'home networks' are capable of faster speeds, at least in theory.

If you only need one computer and are not sure when you will move next, think of Yota. Very fast (10Mb), works in Moscow (Coverage OK but improving) and SPB with more to come. but it will not give you cable TV. In this case you will need satelite or Akado for just the TV seperately

gnicolas
26-09-2009, 18:40
I would suggets STEAM. Works fine.TV too is very reliable

shanv79
26-09-2009, 21:05
stream.ru

Adieu
29-09-2009, 00:51
Try one of the smaller neighbourhood broadband providers (if you're lucky and any of them in your area survived the recent Akado/Stream/Beeline expansion) and get the bare minimum from one of the big three as a backup. The smaller providers are all-around better, but slightly less reliable; they blame sabotage by competitors for occasional downtime, and knowing their competitors, I'm not even sure they're lying.

robwyatt
07-10-2009, 04:50

if you want to get british chanels (bbc, itv, etc.), just get a vpn account like uktvaccess.com and watch online. i finally got sick of pointing dishes at remote satellites and just went for the computer option ... use my internet account here, connect to uktvaccess / vpn and pick what i want. of course, a big screen helps ;)

robbie

optimbp
08-10-2009, 16:33
I advise to try Stream. Excellent TV (over IP), good tariff plans. My Internet provider's choice is Corbina.

GaNozri
08-10-2009, 16:59
you can also try Corbina (which is now beeline), they provide very reliable internet connection and have TV... and speaking about other ISPs that also have TV... Qwerty (http://www.qwerty.ru), NetByNet (http://www.netbynet.ru), Onlime (http://www.onlime.ru/)

it's just what came to my mind, but I'm sure there's more

Sorry, but Onlime doesn't offer TV. Unfortunately.

erkin80
09-10-2009, 13:44
I advise Stream - there's no need to drill your walls or to move furniture. All tou need is to plugg the wire into a telephone socket.

robwyatt
11-10-2009, 01:40
I advise Stream - there's no need to drill your walls or to move furniture. All tou need is to plugg the wire into a telephone socket.

erkin, are you and optim the same person? both of "you" plugging the same company before moving onto another web forum? does it makes my whites super white, by the way?

rob