View Full Version : what is the Exact name of the cert of non impediment and where do i get one in the us

10-09-2009, 02:22
i have read everyone"s posts and answers on here and they have been a great deal of help in understanding what i need to have in hand when i leave for russia to get married. One thing that i have gathered from ALL the threads on here is that the russian goverment is very picky about forms and spellings. as such, i have two questions:

1. what is the exact title of the document i need to prove "non-impediment"

2. where do i get one in the USA?

10-09-2009, 09:54
You need to contact your American Embassy when you arrive in Russia. They will provide this for you. If you have been married before you will need to bring with you divorce papers and you will also need your birth certificate. Spelling errors often happen from the translators translating from English to Russian. Be careful how your name in paticular is spelt.

10-09-2009, 11:36
I don't know where you'd get a CNi other than through your Embassy as Bels says - however it's cheaper (at least, for English people) to get their CNi from the Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages before travelling, and also get it apostilised before coming to Russia.

Sure, get the eventual translation carefully done by a Russian Notary, as that's cheaper than anything else - but for us Brits the Embassy route for a CNi is the most expensive option.