PDA

View Full Version : learning russian

jeyla
08-09-2009, 22:06
hello :-) just wanted to get your opinion on learning russian - i know how hard it can be with the cyrillic and the grammar and so forth, but are there any programs or methods any of you would recommend? something you've tried? i heard that pimsleur is very good... would you say that it's possible to learn russian without getting a private tutor or taking classes such as berlitz etc? i would greatly appreciate any and all advice! thank you :-)

Kangaroo495
09-09-2009, 10:14
hello :-) just wanted to get your opinion on learning russian - i know how hard it can be with the cyrillic and the grammar and so forth, but are there any programs or methods any of you would recommend? something you've tried? i heard that pimsleur is very good... would you say that it's possible to learn russian without getting a private tutor or taking classes such as berlitz etc? i would greatly appreciate any and all advice! thank you :-)

I would say that it's impossible without classes if you want to learn it quickly and correctly.

Russian is easy if you learn the grammar first! Memorize all aspects (cases, endings etc.) of the grammar and UNDERSTAND why it exists.

Watch lost of TV. Force yourself to speak. You'll pick up words as you go along.

Russian's not a difficult language. In fact, it one of the most logical! People just struggle with the grammar...

aroundiemiru
12-09-2009, 19:05
Watch lost of TV. Force yourself to speak. You'll pick up words as you go along.

This is absolutely the best way to learn! I learned most of the Russian I know simply by being around Russian speakers, and watching TV. Now, as I'm trying to re-learn it, I have the TV going constantly. There are many websites that offer streaming Russian TV for free - not the best selection of programs, but what's important is simply hearing Russian. Speaking is possibly more important than listening. I know from experience - I was able to understand a good amount, but I could barely hold a simple conversation. Just practice, even if you're just talking to yourself! Don't worry about perfection - in the beginning you want quantity over quality. The quality will come, probably sooner than you expect!

KristinaV
29-09-2009, 14:07
The only way to study a language is...to study it:)

Tatianamk
25-10-2009, 13:29
Здравствуйте!
Я хотел бы улучшить свой английский, но это очень сложно без практики, поэтому было бы приятно встретиться с английского языка на взаимную помощь в обучении.

Если вы заинтересованы и могут встретиться со мной в Москве, пожалуйста, дайте мне знать.
Меня зовут Татьяна.

Tatianamk
25-10-2009, 13:34
Hello!
I would like to improve my English, but that is very difficult without practice, so it would be nice to meet an english speaker for mutual help with learning.

If you are interested and can meet me in Moscow please let me know.

slowrunr
25-10-2009, 18:46
Does it have to be Moscow. I won't be out that way for a while. How about meeting someplace on the United States. Like in California.

I am just excited to know how recognize the alphabet at least I can put words and sentenced together. I have found many sources on you tube help me hear how to prounounce words.

I figured cartoons I'm Russian would be a ggod place to start.

Can anyone recommend a good action movie? One that is current?

tvadim133
25-10-2009, 21:52
As for film, try more or less a new film "the Admiral". The sell it in USA as fas I heard.

As for the ABC I did not get your question, what you need actually?

Do you need the ABC itself and how to pronounce each letter or something else?

robertmf
26-10-2009, 04:41
Hello!
I would like to improve my English, but that is very difficult without practice, so it would be nice to meet an english speaker for mutual help with learning.

If you are interested and can meet me in Moscow please let me know.

You can get all the на практику you want by coming to the exPat.ru [LOCAL EVENTS] on the calendar !! The monthly BOOK SWAP and CURRY CLUB. Also the sports bars. :)

robertmf
26-10-2009, 04:42

If you are in MOSCOW/Russia then go for the native teacher one-on-one. :beerbros:

irahomyachok
12-12-2009, 18:53
I would say that it's impossible without classes if you want to learn it quickly and correctly.

Russian is easy if you learn the grammar first! Memorize all aspects (cases, endings etc.) of the grammar and UNDERSTAND why it exists.

Russian's not a difficult language. In fact, it one of the most logical! People just struggle with the grammar...

I wouldnt say that learning only grammar first will make the learinig of the language easier:) its necessry to put each of the grammar aspect into practice. If you try to memorize all the grammar first youll only get confused:) this is my opinion:)

Will
13-12-2009, 09:32
I found it difficult, nay impossible, to get a Russian teacher who was any good, admittedly this was more than a decade ago when I arrived here and I would assume the industry has developed since, but many of the techniques that are widely used in TEFL or in the teaching of German etc are alien here. There was the same obsessive focus on grammar that some Russian teachers of English fall prey too, in combination with an over reliance on photocopies. One teacher in particular copied an entire book page by page and then had me do exercises in class from it. When I asked if it wouldn't be cheaper for me to buy the book and sit at home she reluctantly agreed.
Finding a way to incorporate grammar study into your speaking and reading in everyday life is key, if you live here then sit on the metro looking at ads and spotting the case endings, that's how I got it, it has to be alive. Memorising with no real context is a thankless approach for those who lack a wonderful memory. There are also a lot of older soviet books based on the principle of learning from pictures that are surprisingly good. Russkaya Grammatika V'Kartinakh etc.

andrich
13-12-2009, 20:02
I agree that you must just practice as much as you can, and force to speak whenever there are russians around. Possibly at work if you can, but this can sometimes be difficult or at the very least daunting in the beginning.
I would definitely go with Pimsleur. It's especially helpful if you have lots of time to kill on your morning metro commutes like I do. The only problem is that you may not want to repeat everything outloud lest you appear to be a crazy. But it's helpful enough just knowing the phrases and repeating them in your head and then testing them out as soon as you can. I would also recommend Rosetta Stone if you can get it. Definitely good to improve vocab.
I also found it very helpful to watch movies I had already seen that were dubbed over in Russian. I would know the basic plot, and in some cases dialogue, before hand, and then would hear the Russian versions. This was very helpful in picking up basic phrases or ways of saying something that might otherwise have taken a while to figure out through my own study. Helpful to pick up the odd swear word also!
Hope it helps.

LongNsilky1
11-07-2012, 15:26
the fastest way to learn Russian is thru Pimsleur CD

PM me if you're interested.

rusmeister
11-07-2012, 15:37
I'm fluent, I learned Russian as an adult twenty years ago, my first-year course was an intensive 5-hrs in class a week course using a good old-fashioned Russian Soviet text called "Russian for Everybody". No fancy promises, and hard work, but that's the only way to really master a language. Нет царственного пути к языку...
Anyone who tells you different is trying to sell you something.

Amazon.com: Russian for Everybody (9785200022465): V. Kostomarov: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61h6FNth9yL.@@AMEPARAM@@61h6FNth9yL

Dowses
11-07-2012, 21:17
I'm fluent, I learned Russian as an adult twenty years ago, my first-year course was an intensive 5-hrs in class a week course using a good old-fashioned Russian Soviet text called "Russian for Everybody".

Amazon.com: Russian for Everybody (9785200022465): V. Kostomarov: [email]Books (http://www.amazon.com/Russian-Everybody-V-Kostomarov/dp/5200022460)

I recently bought the complete set for $2 at a college book sale.

I'm pleased to find that it worked well for you.

Andrew71
16-08-2012, 19:58
The first thing to learn is the Russian alphabet and being able to read by syllables.