PDA

View Full Version : Looking for restaurant ideas? birthday dinner, good food, comfortable

anodyne
08-09-2009, 11:44
Hi, does anyone have any recommendations on a good place to hold a birthday dinner? I'm looking for 1. good food and 2. a casual/fun atmosphere. One of the party is a committed meat-eater, so I would probably steer away from seafood restaurants.

Money, as they say, is no object (group of 6-8 people). Unfortunately - in my opinion - too many places in Moscow that really want to do good food also feel the need to put a baroque table setting in front of you, hang velvet on the walls, and expect you to show up in Hugo Boss and Max Mara to eat.

A couple of other places that I like - Jean Jacques, Dymov1 (on Dmitrovka), Barashka (acceptably upscale but already a little less relaxed than I'd like).

Cheers

tvadim133
08-09-2009, 14:07
Hi, does anyone have any recommendations on a good place to hold a birthday dinner? I'm looking for 1. good food and 2. a casual/fun atmosphere. One of the party is a committed meat-eater, so I would probably steer away from seafood restaurants.

Money, as they say, is no object (group of 6-8 people). Unfortunately - in my opinion - too many places in Moscow that really want to do good food also feel the need to put a baroque table setting in front of you, hang velvet on the walls, and expect you to show up in Hugo Boss and Max Mara to eat.

A couple of other places that I like - Jean Jacques, Dymov1 (on Dmitrovka), Barashka (acceptably upscale but already a little less relaxed than I'd like).

Cheers

Jean Jacque is a very good place (m.Arbatskaya)... besides I can recommend Maner Cafe (it sutuates in Berlin House which is on Perovska street (opposite to Petrovsky passage). there are very good food options.+ my favourite Coffemania which is on Nikitslaya street. I have never been but they recommend as well Michael Cafe on Krasnaya presnya. But if it is my birthday party, I would stay on Jean Jacques.

anodyne
08-09-2009, 14:26
Thanks. I meant to specify in the initial message - we were hoping to try someplace new, which is why we are trying to avoid the above-named places.

KPang
08-09-2009, 15:42

Cheers

Anodyne,

you could give us a try if you haven't been to us.

We serve 1 of the best Pan Asian cuisine in Moscow at a very reasonable price. Check out our menu at Buddies Café; Moscow, Russia (http://www.buddiescafe.ru) and you will understand, we've many good reviews from Expats and journals.

Hope to see you and don't hesitate to contact me if you need some help.

Rgds,

Kelvin

Kangaroo495
08-09-2009, 16:05
I also think Buddies would be a good choice of venue.

There's also a fantastic and reasonably priced Indian restaurant called "Darbar". It's on the top floor of the Sputnik Hotel and has wonderful views of Moscow. The atmosphere and service are all top notch.

anodyne
08-09-2009, 17:13
I like Darbar but a couple of the people going are classic Russian "I don't like spicy food" types - past attempts to get them to eat Indian haven't worked well. But thanks for reminding me, I need to get back to the Sputnik sometime soon.