PDA

View Full Version : Bringing your beloved car to Russia/Temporary (max 1 year) Import of a Foreign Car

MatWin
08-09-2009, 01:13
Temporary Import of a Foreign Car
I have 2 cars from Germany here in Moscow. One car I imported, paid a huge amount of custom tax (11.000Euros) and am driving it with Russian plates. Since it is registered on my name the documents are only valid till end of my registration(visa).
The other (summer) car I drive with German plates, already for 6 years.
As some of you have written in this forum it is quite a headache but lately it got a bit better.
In short words, you drive your car over the boarder with the normal foreign number plates(not the export plates as i did once with my other car! They did not let me cross the boarder and I had to go by train to Moscow and pay the custom deposit first!). At the boarder you get a pink paper called "Vremnie Voz". Its valid for 2 weeks (you can also get it for 2 months and I heard even for 6 months if you motivate the officers a little;).
In Moscow you then go to the office of the Custom in charge of foreign cars in Ryabino (Moscow West next to MKAD) Here is the link to the location: Яндекс.Карты (http://maps.yandex.ru/?um&ll=37.435915%2C55.682245&spn=0.009504%2C0.002944&l=sat%2Cskl%2Ctrf) (It is right behind METRO CASH&CARRY, an unnamed side street of Ochakovskoye Chaussee with a "Shlagbaum" at the beginning). You should be there early! Opening hours 09.00-18.00 (lunch 13.00-13.45) except Thur 11.00-18.00 and Friday 09.00-16.45. If you come in the afternoon there might be a line of 40 cars. Cars with expiring Vremnie Voz on the next day might be attended a bit faster. If they cannot attend you that day you have to come on the next day again.
The procedure to prolong the Vremnie Voz is quite fast (approx 20min). You need to fill out only one sheet of paper with your car data. Note that you need an official registration (square stamp not the post stamp ones that you can get at many visa registration services!).
And now the good news: It is free! You just have to pay about 300rur for the parking. If you like you can also give your papers to the young lady at the first parking (2nd green metal door, 50m before the white guard house). Alina is kind of a broker (Dont know if she likes it that her number is in here, anyhow:89264583433). She charges 3000rur for her services and you can go and have a long breakfast or lunch at the nearby METRO restaurant!
Note that you have to cross a boarder after one year. Germans have to go back to Germany anyhow every 2 years for technical inspection. I normally drive in direction to Bialarus. Smolensk/Briansk is a 440km ride on a new big road that even my oldtimer likes. You cross the Russian boarder and turn back to Russia...not even your right wheels have to touch Bialarus territory;)
Watch out that your Vremnie Voz does not expire!! Big headache!! Principally you can fix it here in Moscow but it is a hassle and afterwards you have to anyhow cross the boarder. Its also quite an expensive procedure. If it expired its better to somehow (without too many GAI controls)make it to the boarder and to pay a 2500rur "straf".
I heard that there are also ways to prolong the Vremnie Voz without crossing the boarder. If anybody of you knows how, I (and my Bella) would be more than happy about a PM! Briansk is not my favourite touristic destination anymore (although you can pass by the Katyn Memorial, quite an impressive place. Over 12.000 Polish officers, professors, scientists, lawyers, etc lost their lifes in that area in WW2).
Well, hope i could give you some helpful hints...I wrote these lines because I went myself through so many beaurocratic troubles with my beloved cars that I hope that I can keep some of you out of that!
And always remember, do not fall into despair, everything is possible: Custom is called Tamoshna because "tam moshna"

vaaltone
14-09-2009, 14:20
> One car I imported, paid a huge amount of custom tax (11.000Euros)
> and am driving it with Russian plates.

No need to pay taxes => register your as a tax-free car.

> Since it is registered on my name the documents are only valid till end
> of my registration(visa).

Yes, and then you do the paper work again. And then you have new papers for next one year.

> At the boarder you get a pink paper called "Vremnie Voz". Its valid for 2
> weeks (you can also get it for 2 months and I heard even for 6 months
> if you motivate the officers a little

Two weeks is enough to get papers done for car.

> Note that you have to cross a boarder after one year.

That is not true. We have here tax-free car and renew our car paper here in Moscow this year, without "cross-boardering"

> Germans have to go back to Germany anyhow every 2 years for
> technical inspection.

If you have Russian plates then you do the inspection/MOT here in Russia under russian laws as we did it for our car.

MatWin
14-09-2009, 15:42
Thanks, I heard about it...you have to give them your foreign plates and they exchange them for Russian ones. I will seriously think about this option at the end of this year! Thanks again for the advice
MAtWin

vaaltone
15-09-2009, 20:50
> you have to give them your foreign plates and they exchange them
> for Russian ones.

Yes.

OlivierPeter
26-10-2009, 08:52
Hi All,
I am somehow living in SPB but not permanently because I have other business in Europe and Kazakhstan (I also like to go back to my Home country and have some vacations).
I do not hold a TRP, because I do not live 6 months/year in Russia (But not that far).
So I use a standard one year visa.
I would like to import my own car from Europe, with EU plates and adequate documentation (Insurance,...)
Do you know if I can get the Voz for 1 year, knowing that I will not get a registration for 1 year?

drwho
27-10-2009, 18:03
Hi All,
I am somehow living in SPB but not permanently because I have other business in Europe and Kazakhstan (I also like to go back to my Home country and have some vacations).
I do not hold a TRP, because I do not live 6 months/year in Russia (But not that far).
So I use a standard one year visa.
I would like to import my own car from Europe, with EU plates and adequate documentation (Insurance,...)
Do you know if I can get the Voz for 1 year, knowing that I will not get a registration for 1 year?

If you bringing your car I wish luck and strength. As for me they did not stamp my paperwork at the Russian customs and we had to wait 3 weeks and lots of extra paperwork to get it back and drive it here. Good luck.

vaaltone
07-02-2010, 20:42
If you have ALL papers with you - it is quite easy process to get your car registered. ALL I mean: ALL car papers, Visa, Passport, work permit, etc.

I have done this paperwork twice...

MatWin
28-03-2010, 21:21
Does anybody know somebody that can do/get the Tehosmotr (technical inspection) for a car registered (temporarily) on a foreigners name? The only tehosmotr that does that is in Warschawskoye Chaussee and last time it was a real headache!!!

ozzzzzy
09-04-2010, 00:55
how do you manage to register your car as tax-free?
I will start working in Moscow soon and will get a work permit in April.
I would like to bring my car in June. What exactly I need to take with?

I appreciate any help really!

MatWin
09-04-2010, 01:57
Hi Ozzy, I see you are from Switzerland. When you cross the Russian (or Bialarussian) border the custom officers will give you a pink paper called Vremnie Voz. Do not come with export plates. Do your technical inspection before you leave (so you have additional Swiss insurance coverage next 2 years). You need to have your "Fahrzeugschein" but not your "Fahrzeugbrief". Possibly also a Russian insurance (not sure but anyhow you will be able to get it at the border, if possible get it in advance in Moscow, approx 3500RUR for the whole year depending on the horsepower). NOTE, that the border between Bialarus and Russia near Smolensk/Briansk/Katyn does not exist anymore (I heard this at the Customs 3 weeks ago) THIS IS ALSO IMPORTANT FOR ALL OF YOU THAT NEED TO CROSS THE BORDER ONCE A YEAR !!! NOW THE NEAREST BORDER IS THE UKRAINIAN!
...with that paper you go not later than 2 weeks after crossing the border to the new Customs Office near Domodedevskaya Metro behind the shopping centre! BRING: Passport, Registration(with square stamp from Pasportne Stol, not post stamp!!), the white paper you got in the plane (in Vnukovo the border guard prints it for you now!!!), pink vremnie voz, insurance, car documents AND a copy of everything (you can make copies in the shopping centre between rynek and customs in 3rd floor at electronic shop or in gift shop on 1st floor) Address: http://maps.yandex.ru/-/CBSUj9A улица Генерала Белова, 16, Coordinates yandex: 37.720088,55.614202
&the good thing: all that is free of charge!
Good Luck and have a good trip!

ozzzzzy
10-04-2010, 01:19
Hi Matwin,

Thanks a lot for your helpful mail!

So you are driving your summer car with German plates and the other one you imported with Russian plates right? Would it be possible to get russian plates for the Summer car too or do you need to keep German plates cos it is not imported and no taxes are paid???

Cheers
Ozzy

MatWin
10-04-2010, 01:31
its actually possible to give them my German plates and they give me in exchange Russian ones...they keep them and give them back when needed...but I like my German ones and dont know any advantage of the Russian ones, do you? If I was in Spain it would have the advantage to have your car less often broken open...

Northman
21-04-2010, 11:33
MatWin, if my understanding is correct, one of your cars is registered in Germany, with german plates ... do you have a german insurance valid in Russia, or were you able to insure it here? That is, both for the mandatory and the kasko one.
Many thanks!

MatWin
21-04-2010, 14:56
I actually have two valid insurances. The German Teilkasko and the Russian one. Since I have an oldtimer my German one is quite cheap and I have a registration which is valid in summer only so I do not pay it the whole year. For the Russian one I always take the cheapest coverage here in Russia which covers only damages to the other party. Need any more info?

MSchaffer
22-04-2010, 19:31
anyone know about motorcycles? I'm trying to ship my Harley over from the United States. Any insight for best ways would be helpful.

MatWin
23-04-2010, 15:50
PM me, I have a number of a guy that takes care of your papers, guess he can also do motorcycles!

motoreiter
11-05-2010, 12:09
Hi, I just found this thread, very helpful.

I am considering buying a used motorcycle in Germany and bringing it to Moscow, where I live. I understand that I cannot register the moto in Germany, and can only get export plates. From this thread, I also understand that I will not be able to bring the moto into Russia with the export plates.

So that only leaves one option, I guess, to obtain Russian plates for the moto BEFORE bringing it to Russia. Can anyone confirm whether this is possible, if I have all of the bike documenation here in Moscow?

Can anyone recommend someone to assist in this process (such as INTERAUTOCENTER)?

MatWin
11-05-2010, 13:49
for cars there is the possibility to register them in Germany and to exchange the German plates against Russian plates. They keep/store the German plates and return them upon request. As I wrote earlier I have a guy that might be able to take care. send me a private message if you would like to have the number, I cant publish it here.

motoreiter
11-05-2010, 15:58
OK, I will PM you for the person's number, but didn't understand your comment about "the possibility to register them in Germany and to exchange the German plates against Russian plates. They keep/store the German plates and return them upon request." I thought it would be heplful if this issue is clarified on the forum.

As far as I can tell you are talking about permanent German plates (which I cannot obtain), because there would not be much point in storing temporary German plates which would expire by the time I get them back. Moreover, I thought that you and others have said in this thread that I can't enter Russia with German export plates?

What I am talking about doing is having the bike paperwork shipped to me in Moscow, getting Russian plates here, and then flying to Germany to get the bike, put the Russian plates on, and riding it to here.

Thanks for your help.

MatWin
11-05-2010, 18:00
why would German plates expire? They are valid as long as you pay your traffic/transport taxes. Principally you could even get temporary plates (oldtimer plates) for certain months and exchange them for russian (year long) plates...actually this is an interesting thought...I guess minimum matriculation in Germany would be 1 month(less tax, less German insurance).
How to do the exchange against German plates I cannot specify, I have never done it but would be interested myself how to do it. Maybe my contact can explain it to you.

motoreiter
12-05-2010, 10:10
As previously explained, I am not a resident of Germany (or the EU) and thus cannot get permanent German plates--the only plates I can get are export plates, which are only good for a year at most, and which I understand I cannot enter Russia with. Am I missing something here?

MatWin
12-05-2010, 13:00
With export plates you need to leave a deposit at Moscow customs which covers the custom duty of your bike. I tried to enter my car into the country with export plates and wanted to leave the custom duty cash at the boarder custom point. It was a quite nasty trip. They did not accept the cash payment (maybe too much hustle for them because actually they should) and I had to leave the car there and go with the train to Moscow and back! Koshmar. This is also why I left this (and the other)thread in this forum. I do not wish anybody this experience with no hotel at the boarder, no parking and rather unfriendly officers. I heard the best way to bring a car is to put it on a ship in Northern Germany (e.g. in Neustadt)and to pick it up in St Pete or at the nearest Finnish port to the boarder (its called Kotka I think).

motoreiter
12-05-2010, 13:46
With export plates you need to leave a deposit at Moscow customs which covers the custom duty of your bike. I tried to enter my car into the country with export plates and wanted to leave the custom duty cash at the boarder custom point. It was a quite nasty trip.

Yes, your posting is most appreciated, although I would prefer to ride the bike here rather than ship it, so will explore the available options. I will talk to your contact later today and post here about results.

MatWin
19-05-2010, 21:01
NEW REGULATION AT THE BELARUS BOARDER
Be aware that you cannot refresh your 1year temporary import papers anymore at the Russian-Belarus boarder, closest (approx 450km) is now the Ukrainian boarder! Your pink "vremnie voz" document is now also valid in Belarus and you can give it back at the Polish/Belarus boarder and even receive a new one valid in Russia upon return. Here is the link: http://www.embassybel.ru/press/soft/2010/03/04/24535/
Be aware you need a transit visa for Belarus if you have only the Russian visa.
I will do this trip next month to PL and I will keep you updated.

Temporary Import of a Foreign Car
I have 2 cars from Germany here in Moscow. One car I imported, paid a huge amount of custom tax (11.000Euros) and am driving it with Russian plates. Since it is registered on my name the documents are only valid till end of my registration(visa).
The other (summer) car I drive with German plates, already for 6 years.
As some of you have written in this forum it is quite a headache but lately it got a bit better.
In short words, you drive your car over the boarder with the normal foreign number plates(not the export plates as i did once with my other car! They did not let me cross the boarder and I had to go by train to Moscow and pay the custom deposit first!). At the boarder you get a pink paper called "Vremnie Voz". Its valid for 2 weeks (you can also get it for 2 months and I heard even for 6 months if you motivate the officers a little;).
In Moscow you then go to the office of the Custom in charge of foreign cars in Ryabino (Moscow West next to MKAD) Here is the link to the location: Яндекс.Карты (http://maps.yandex.ru/?um&ll=37.435915%2C55.682245&spn=0.009504%2C0.002944&l=sat%2Cskl%2Ctrf) (It is right behind METRO CASH&CARRY, an unnamed side street of Ochakovskoye Chaussee with a "Shlagbaum" at the beginning). You should be there early! Opening hours 09.00-18.00 (lunch 13.00-13.45) except Thur 11.00-18.00 and Friday 09.00-16.45. If you come in the afternoon there might be a line of 40 cars. Cars with expiring Vremnie Voz on the next day might be attended a bit faster. If they cannot attend you that day you have to come on the next day again.
The procedure to prolong the Vremnie Voz is quite fast (approx 20min). You need to fill out only one sheet of paper with your car data. Note that you need an official registration (square stamp not the post stamp ones that you can get at many visa registration services!).
And now the good news: It is free! You just have to pay about 300rur for the parking. If you like you can also give your papers to the young lady at the first parking (2nd green metal door, 50m before the white guard house). Alina is kind of a broker (Dont know if she likes it that her number is in here, anyhow:89264583433). She charges 3000rur for her services and you can go and have a long breakfast or lunch at the nearby METRO restaurant!
Note that you have to cross a boarder after one year. Germans have to go back to Germany anyhow every 2 years for technical inspection. I normally drive in direction to Bialarus. Smolensk/Briansk is a 440km ride on a new big road that even my oldtimer likes. You cross the Russian boarder and turn back to Russia...not even your right wheels have to touch Bialarus territory;)
Watch out that your Vremnie Voz does not expire!! Big headache!! Principally you can fix it here in Moscow but it is a hassle and afterwards you have to anyhow cross the boarder. Its also quite an expensive procedure. If it expired its better to somehow (without too many GAI controls)make it to the boarder and to pay a 2500rur "straf".
I heard that there are also ways to prolong the Vremnie Voz without crossing the boarder. If anybody of you knows how, I (and my Bella) would be more than happy about a PM! Briansk is not my favourite touristic destination anymore (although you can pass by the Katyn Memorial, quite an impressive place. Over 12.000 Polish officers, professors, scientists, lawyers, etc lost their lifes in that area in WW2).
Well, hope i could give you some helpful hints...I wrote these lines because I went myself through so many beaurocratic troubles with my beloved cars that I hope that I can keep some of you out of that!
And always remember, do not fall into despair, everything is possible: Custom is called Tamoshna because "tam moshna"

motoreiter
22-06-2010, 13:14
I have a motorcycle which I brought in on temporary import. Every year I have to take it out of the country and back in, and then have the vremmeny vvoz extended here in Moscow.

Last year I had the vremmeny vvoz extended without too much of a headache at the site out on Ochakovskoye Shosse; that site has since moved to Ulitsa Generala Belova, and that place is a disaster! I went there this morning to extend, and although it was supposed to open at 09:00, it had not opened by 10:30, and the crowd of people had to wait in the hot sun. I was there for an hour and a half, and we hadn't even begun working through the line; some of the people in line said that they did not finish after waiting all day yesterday and had to come back!

Finally I couldn't wait any more and had to leave; I dread going back there, does anyone know a handler that can just take the documents and get things extended?

MatWin
22-06-2010, 14:13
Hey Motorreiter, didnt you call that guy that I mentioned? I think I gave you the number?

MatWin
22-06-2010, 14:43
UPDATE:
Closest boarder to Moscow is the one near Sopych at the end of the M3. Over 500km:( and bad, really bad road...they should not call it Kievsky Chausse but Kievsky Betonka...with more holes than Kiev after the war. Exception are only the first 100km near Moscow. I recommend you to take the M2 thru Tula and Orel. In Orel there is a beautiful Pensionat called Meshta www.me4ta.ru at a lake in the middle of the forest. Price 1800 economic room, 2200r or even 5200r for Suite. If you arrive after midnight you can stay for 2(!!)nights...I wonder where in the world else you have such a generous reception. They even offered me breakfast twice and to the room its without surcharge))
The last part of the road from the M2 to the M3 thru Zheleznogorsk is also a really bad Betonka.
At the boarder you have to fill in an A5 custom paper. You need your old Vremnie Voz, national car documents, insurance (at least still valid for a couple days). You then go through custom and passport control. They will tell you to go to Ukraine and get a stamp. But thats what really did not make sense to me. In Ukraine you would go for at least 2hours through a similar procedure, you would need Ukrainian insurance,etc...so after waiting for a while in the long line I just returned back to Russia and discussed with the ladies from the "welcome committee" that give out the same A5 forms(2 of them...so principally you can ask for 3 leaving Russia and already fill them out). After a while they let me go (if you have a less flashy car than I they might not even notice that you just drove out of Russia and turned back). You then get your passport stamp and your new Vremnie Voz(which is not a pink paper but the white A5 one with lots of stamps). You can actually discuss the time period with them if e.g. your visa ends and it does not give you enough time to prolong the Vremnie Voz in Moscow.

I was thinking that theoretically it must be possible to refresh the Vremnie Voz in Moscow at one of the airports because it could be that you fly your car out. Please let me know if you find such an opportunity.
HAVE A GOOD TRIP

motoreiter
22-06-2010, 16:08
Hey Motorreiter, didnt you call that guy that I mentioned? I think I gave you the number?

Yes, but I called him about a different issue--about whether I could bring in a second moto on temp import (he wasn't sure about the answer). I guess he could help in a simple renewal, though?

motoreiter
22-06-2010, 16:16
Well this is turning into quite the vremmeny vvoz thread, so I'll add my experience of renewing my vremmeny vvoz at the Latvian border. I forget the name of the border crossing, but basically you leave Moscow on the Novorizhskoye Shosse and go straight ahead until you hit the border. I think it is a little further than the Ukrainian border, but not much. At any rate, I left home in central Moscow at about 0630 and arrived at the border by about 1500. Most of the ride is quite beautiful.

I went to the same border last year, and they made me actually enter Latvia, which was a huge pain. This year I asked, and they all said I could just turn around just past the last Russian schlagbaum. As a result, I was out of Russia and back in within less than an hour. They also provided a three month vremmeny vvoz, which was nice. No hassles at all, at least not until I tried to extend the vremmeny vvoz here in Moscow...

MatWin
22-06-2010, 18:32
Yes, but I called him about a different issue--about whether I could bring in a second moto on temp import (he wasn't sure about the answer). I guess he could help in a simple renewal, though?

yes, he can do it, ask him for how long.

max1234
01-07-2010, 12:50
@matwin: i read you have someone who could help with all the paperworks involved. tried to PM you but didnt work out.

I am moving to moscow in august, with my car (german licence plates). I would like to go for the "exchange plates option".

many thanks

max

frankjohn2
19-07-2010, 13:02
Is there a place in SPB that the paperwork can be completed, or is a trip to Moscow mandatory?

trancophile
19-07-2010, 13:06
What's the point in bringing your vehicle over unless it is a super car?

It makes more sense to just buy one here if you are going to be here both short term and long.

frankjohn2
19-07-2010, 19:41

It makes more sense to just buy one here if you are going to be here both short term and long.

Maybe it does ... maybe it doesn't. However in my circumstance it may, so rather than inserting your unsolicited opinion please answer the question - if you have a clue, elsewise move on to something you can be helpful with.

Alistair
11-08-2010, 19:55
Is it the same rules for a Russian citizen? I want to give a UK car to my wife, my idea is that I make her the owner, and she will drive it accross it the border.

Or are there different rules for Russians?

So, with a 'tax-free' car it will be possible to get Russian plates and to the techosmotr here? As I don't want to drive it all the way back to the Uk every year.

Northman
11-08-2010, 20:51
I just brought my car in, here's the short story:

I drove in in mid July through the south border with Ukraine, after visiting Kiev. All went smooth on the journey starting from Koeln, in Germany, through central-eastern european countries. From time to time encountered bad portions of road; no showstoppers, but the sports suspension did not always provide the most comfortable ride.

A not so pleasant experience was the waiting time at the russian border (6h, on an early Sunday morning). Filled in the usual migration card, and the temporary import form with the vehicle's information (vremenniy vvoz). They issued the vremenniy vvoz for three months, I was told that's the maximum they can do it for at the border.

I then extended it in Moscow, (on General Belova street) for the duration of my registration. It takes about 20min, you have to have copies of all the papers and fill in a short form. Even better, it is absolutely free.

Cheers!

motoreiter
16-08-2010, 12:29
I then extended it in Moscow, (on General Belova street) for the duration of my registration. It takes about 20min, you have to have copies of all the papers and fill in a short form. Even better, it is absolutely free.

I must be doing something wrong. I've been to Belova twice--the first time they simply didn't open, the second time, I was about 8th person in line and after two hours only three people had gone through, so I left. Please tell us your secret to get through in twenty minutes!

motoreiter
16-08-2010, 12:32

Really? So it makes more sense to sell my perfectly good motorcycle, which I bought used for $7k, and buy a new one here for $30k (which is what it would cost here). Moroever, I have another motorcycle which I bought here, and have Russian plates on it, and the paperwork/hassle factor is at least as high with Russian plates. So please explain why it makes so much sense to buy one here if I will be here short term or long term?

Northman
18-08-2010, 22:38
I might have been lucky, but my strategy was:
They open for business usually at 9am, and take a 2h lunch break at 12. I went at 11, on a Wednesday and by that time almost all the folks who queued up early morning have gone through. By 11:30 i had my papers back and was driving out.

Make sure you have copies at hand of all the papers you have (from the car's registration to your own migration card), and a pen to fill in the one page form.

motoreiter
18-08-2010, 22:43
Northman, either you were lucky, or I was unlucky--as I mentioned, I got there about 0830, had about 6 people in front of me, and by 11:00 only 3 people had gone through, so I left... I went back the next day at about 0900 with the number of a "fixer", and with his help was able to get out by about 1030...Used to be much easier when we could go to to the customs post on Ochakovskoye Shosse...

MatWin
19-08-2010, 04:55
I got there last time on a Monday at exactly 17.48, 12 min before closing with 35C that day....got my papers at 18.05! :) But anyhow it wasnt a smooth prolongation as normally. I had got my registration only 40min earlier ( in the center)and my deadline was finishing that same Monday.
On the Friday before they had rejected my papers because my registration wasnt the right one....although I could have fixed it through that "fixer"(nice word;). I decided not to though I later found out how hard it is to get the registration (with square stamp) within a day! By the way, post registration is also being accepted but is given at the post office only within 3 or max 4 days after arrival in the country (and with a LOT of paper work and payment at Sberbank).
Opening hours Mo-Wdn 9.00-18.00, Thur 11.00-18.00, Fri 9.00-16.45 Lunch: 13.00-13.45

MatWin
19-08-2010, 04:58
Northman, either you were lucky, or I was unlucky--as I mentioned, I got there about 0830, had about 6 people in front of me, and by 11:00 only 3 people had gone through, so I left... I went back the next day at about 0900 with the number of a "fixer", and with his help was able to get out by about 1030...Used to be much easier when we could go to to the customs post on Ochakovskoye Shosse...

...yeah, Ochakovskoye was so much better...and so much closer where I live! And there was always the chance to spend some time shopping at METRO next door or in its restaurant...

MatWin
19-08-2010, 05:06
Is it the same rules for a Russian citizen? I want to give a UK car to my wife, my idea is that I make her the owner, and she will drive it accross it the border.

Or are there different rules for Russians?

So, with a 'tax-free' car it will be possible to get Russian plates and to the techosmotr here? As I don't want to drive it all the way back to the Uk every year.
You cannot get temporary import for a car with export plates and they will not let you into the country unless you prepaid the custom duty at the Moscow customs! You need a car with normal foreign numbers and foreign driver( I guess registered on that foreigner) unless the driver has a (notarial) power of attorney...

Salix
27-08-2010, 09:39
Does anyone know if it's possible to drive a car with foreign plates if you have a TRP?
I'm currently driving a car with British plates on a three month visa, but I'm applying for the TRP soon.

Thanks

MatWin
27-08-2010, 13:30
"TRP"...is that the blue passport for foreigners? My friend said that with that passport it is not possible anymore to use the Vremnie Voz/Temporary Import procedure. If you leave the country to prolong the Vremnie Voz they will not let you back in anymore.

MatWin
27-08-2010, 16:46
My friend says that if you have temporary residence(and not the blue passport) it is the same procedure as with visa.

airseller
27-09-2010, 22:05
I was told that to do 'vremenny vvoz' one must have foreign plates / registration. How does a US citizen bring a car from the states, without EU passport / car registration? Is it possible to get the car registered in one of the European countries and get plates? What are the other alternatives?

Where would it make sense to ship a car from the US - St. Pete or one of the EU ports?

MatWin
28-09-2010, 21:26
The European cars that come by ship either go directly to St Pete or to the Finnish port next to the Russian Finnish boarder. I guess it costs a lot more to ship a car to Russian than e.g. to Hamburg. If you want German plates you need residency in Germany which I guess is not so difficult to get fro US citizens but I seriously doubt it is worth the trouble. I have never seen a car in Moscow with US plates but it should be the same as with German plates. Taking into account the cost of shipping to Russia and back I am not really sure you want to get into this!? Import duties are so high nowadays that nobody would buy your car I guess and you would have to ship it back.

airseller
28-09-2010, 23:42
That's the whole point - having US plates is not an option - what's the best way to get a US car "registered + license plated" before coming to Russia? Please describe the mechanics...

MatWin
29-09-2010, 13:51
I think you should think over your idea...better buy a car in Germany, Poland or Lithania and register it there. To register it you need a residency there. You ll need to pay taxes and insurance. In Germany you have the option to register your car for certain months only, eg for your summer car. I can give you a contact there if you would like to purchase a car from a serious dealer. He might even have some US cars that he imported into Germany.

WilfredR
12-10-2010, 11:53
Dear all,

Again contemplating to get a car in via temporary import. One of the things that is keeping me is that it's supposed to be the family car, so I want my wife to be able to drive it too.

I've read somewhere that officially only the person who imports the car can drive it. Is this also the case for family? Is this often checked? Does normal millitia know about this?

In short what are your experiences? Advices in this?

airseller
17-10-2010, 12:03
I think you should think over your idea...better buy a car in Germany, Poland or Lithania and register it there. To register it you need a residency there. You ll need to pay taxes and insurance. In Germany you have the option to register your car for certain months only, eg for your summer car. I can give you a contact there if you would like to purchase a car from a serious dealer. He might even have some US cars that he imported into Germany.

i'm starting to think that you're posting here for a commercial reason...why would i buy a us car in germany from a dealer and pay a markup if i can just buy it myself in us and ship it?! my problem is registering it in europe. you say that i can do it "temporarily" in germany or elsewhere - what's the procedure? what about when that expires while the car is in russia?

elliotts
26-10-2010, 11:35
@MatWin first of all thanks for starting this off and continuing to provide answers to all these questions. Reading the entries made me feel a bit more comfortable about bringing a car to Russia.

I intend to buy a car in Germany simply because the car I want is about 20K more expensive here. For that reason I will allow a bit of headache and trouble. My question is about insurance. I would like to insure the car in Russia as a German Insurer will not provide cover Russia as I was told by a German Insurance agent (correct me if he is wrong) It was mentioned here that I can either buy an Insurance at the border or directly in Moscow before I bring the car. So question is - can I insure the car here in Moscow before I bring it to Russia although at that point I will not have any Russian Documents (ie Vremnie Voz) then fly to Germany, pick it up and drive it here?

What happens if the German MOT (TUV) runs out in the next 9 mth let's say while I am in Russia. Can I get the Russian equivalent as I am driving only in Russia?

Many thanks

MatWin
26-10-2010, 16:34
@MatWin first of all thanks for starting this off and continuing to provide answers to all these questions. Reading the entries made me feel a bit more comfortable about bringing a car to Russia.

I intend to buy a car in Germany simply because the car I want is about 20K more expensive here. For that reason I will allow a bit of headache and trouble. My question is about insurance. I would like to insure the car in Russia as a German Insurer will not provide cover Russia as I was told by a German Insurance agent (correct me if he is wrong) It was mentioned here that I can either buy an Insurance at the border or directly in Moscow before I bring the car. So question is - can I insure the car here in Moscow before I bring it to Russia although at that point I will not have any Russian Documents (ie Vremnie Voz) then fly to Germany, pick it up and drive it here?

What happens if the German MOT (TUV) runs out in the next 9 mth let's say while I am in Russia. Can I get the Russian equivalent as I am driving only in Russia?

Many thanks

Thanks for the Thanks! (there is a THANKS button for that;)
1) German insurance companies also cover Russia. Maybe not all and maybe not, if you are a first time client. Just call a couple and say you are here on an extended trip, they will never check how long you are here for. ADAC might also be useful if you go abroad (although I have never used it).
2)If you have already the car details you can do the insurance here in Russia. No need for "vremnie voz" for insurance. Negotiate with them, they might give you a discount or ask me for a contact. If you have any 2nd drivers register them as well on the insurance policy(although I am not 100% sure if you can let a 2nd person drive it officially, even if you are in the car). Insurance is not necessarily cheaper in Moscow than at the boarder but you dont need to spend any more time there than necessary...I hate these places in the middle of nowhere. BTW, dont let the custom officers intimidate you, they try that with everybody. BTW, i have never been asked in Russia for the green international insurance card but in Ukraine they might ask you for it. Might be easier to go through Baltics or with the ship to Finland/StPete (~500).
POST YOUR EXPERIENCES PLEASE!
HAVE A GOOD TRIP!

MatWin
26-10-2010, 16:39
Regarding TUEV and ASU(German technical inspection) I advise you to get full 2 years in Germany(or 3years if the car is new). You cant get TUEV here in Russia, Russian techosmotr does not count for Germany and you do not need Russian techosmotr for Russian GAI. PM me for any details.

NLD
26-10-2010, 17:20
I've crossed the border with Russia three times now, twice going in and once going out. All three times were on the Latvian-Russian border, which is very handy with Latvia now in the Schengen zone.

When you enter Russia, you do not need to have a Russian insurance straightaway, but you are obliged to have one just in general. You can usually buy insurance a kilometer or so after the border.

Border control is indeed a pain in the butt. Last time we stood there for 8 hours trying to get into Russia, waiting waiting waiting. The problem is that everything needs to be filled out in Russian. And obviously not everybody speaks or writes Russian. And since border control personnel are evil incarnate, you can't really expect any help there. Long lines ensue...

When you return to Latvia (Schengen zone) you do need to have a valid green card at the border control.

Everything at the border is free btw., just in case that wasn't clear. They shouldn't be charging you for anything, unless you import a buckload of goods with clear commercial goals or something like that.

As for the technical check-up, I did that back home. I don't think Dutch law will even consider for a moment accepting a Russian check-up :P

As for someone else driving the car you imported, I think the idea is that that's simply not allowed, unless you physically cannot drive the car yourself (e.g. you sprained/broke/whatever your ankle, and you need to get back home).

elliotts
26-10-2010, 19:16
Thanks guys! (ok, I pressed the buttons as well but that's so technical :-)

I am planning to go in about 4 weeks and return via Finland/St Pete's. Will post the story here. I don't actually intend to take the car back to Germany, at least not within the next three years that's why I was asking about the Russian TUV not for Germany but for here. So I will do my yearly trip to Latvia or elsewhere to get the new Vremnie Voz and come back to Moscow. I will have my Russian partner with me in the car so will see how it goes at the border.

michael
15-11-2010, 10:31
Im sorry if it's already posted somewhere, but could someone please help me with the address/phone etc of the place where I can prolong my temporary permit for car with foreign license plates in SAINT PETERSBURG?

Thank you very much

mido008
28-11-2010, 12:14
Hi got a question, and Mat, I will appreciate if you can check with your guy.
Now, you can apply for business visa/ work permit which is valid up to 3 years, does it mean that I can do my registration of the car, and plate exchanging for 3 years period?

Thanks a lot

MatWin
29-11-2010, 11:24
Hi, max temp import is 1year then you have to cross the boarder. If you exchange the foreign plates against Russian you can (I suppose) renew same way after boarder crossing(you can leave Russia without entering other country).If you want more info: Ivan 89163003639 (Ivan likes new clients but doesnt like to be simply a source for Q&A)
Cheers M

Northman
04-12-2010, 16:43
The only place in Moscow where "vremenyi vvoz" can be extended is at VDNH now.
Was quite frustrating to find the building No. 229 in the exposition village, and the queue was massive (spent 6h there!).
There is no place to sit, and if you go in by car, it's about 350rub.
A useful map: http://www.rasi.ru/images/map1.jpg

Always a good idea to check the last posts on this thread, on the russian customs forum, before you're on your way.
http://www.tks.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=210031&page=15

MatWin
11-01-2011, 03:23
Where is the place to prolong the temporary import documents now in JANUARY 2011? ОФОРМЛЕНИЯ ТРАНСПОРТНЫХ СРЕДСТВ ФИЗИЧЕСКИХ ЛИЦ! at VDH??
Wish me good luck, I had all my documents including passport stolen and will have to get a new "Vremnie voz". But I have all car documents new as well as passport. Lets see...

ILoveRussia
16-01-2011, 10:18
I am considering bringing two cars with U.S. plates to St. Pete in July for one or two years and then sell them when I leave. A few questions:

1. Do you have a link to the import duty amounts so I can know in advance how much I would pay for each car? Do the taxes go up as the cars get older?

2. Can I drive on U.S. plates using temporary import (following all the rules, etc. for extending)? Or is there a preference for EU plates??

3. Where can I extend the vremenyi vvoz in St. Pete?

Thanks in advance!

MSchaffer
19-01-2011, 09:35
I'm currently going through the process of bring my motorcycle and car over from the US. From my research with connections at customs US plates are needed while crossing the boarder.

Most States require insurance documentation in order to register and get the plates. Simple way is:

1) Going through Progressive or Geico, purchase the lowest plan and print out the temporary ID cards

2) Go to the DMV. DMV will charge the registration fee (about $150) for the plates. (Most dealerships will do this)

3) Call and cancel the insurance and say that you did not register the car (normally in order to cancel you need the plate surrender code provided by DMV). All fees from the insurance company will be credited back to your account.

4) Ship car or bike over to a port near Russian boarder. (I'm using Kotka, Shipping costs total $2,200 for both Motorcycle and car.)

5) Follow same steps as bringing an EU car over.

As far as selling here. You will have to pay customs when selling the car. This is due to the fact the car will have to be then have a Russian registration. This part can most likely be negotiated with the buyer of the car who will pay customs.

motoreiter
21-01-2011, 19:01
The only place in Moscow where "vremenyi vvoz" can be extended is at VDNH now.

Northman, you sure about that? In the fall I extended my vremeny vvoz at the facility on Generala Belova (which was also a big pain), and it had only recently been moved to there...seems odd that they would change it again so quickly, although I guess it should not surprise me!

motoreiter
21-01-2011, 19:06
Border control is indeed a pain in the butt. Last time we stood there for 8 hours trying to get into Russia, waiting waiting waiting. The problem is that everything needs to be filled out in Russian. And obviously not everybody speaks or writes Russian. And since border control personnel are evil incarnate, you can't really expect any help there. Long lines ensue...

hmmm, I've entered/exited Russia three or four times now via various border posts, including Latvia, and have had no problem whatsoever, max wait time probably two hours, usually less. And all of the border control people have been rather professional, although some are more grumpy than others. After all, it is not their fault that Russia has screwed up import rules.

MatWin
08-08-2011, 20:42
I was at VDNH today to extend my vremnie voz which ended on the weekend. Actually very risky to do that on the last possible day, especially if it is a Monday. Got there at 15.25 and was No.47 on the waiting list. Only one custom officer. It looked fine till about 30min before closing where they supposedly took only people that had paid around 100USD to jump the line. When I realized that it was already too late. In short words they sent everybody home at 6pm. No chance to get even a 1day prolongation because that is the same procedure in the computer. I heard it is possible to change it before 9am on the next day but they did not offer that to me. Now there are 2 ways: either put the car into their parking for about 2weeks and pay approx 15.000rub or to pay 1500 penalty at the boarder :((( Anybody else going to the boarder these days?

motoreiter
09-08-2011, 20:05
I was there a few weeks ago, got there right at ten and there was no one else there, very surprising and lucky. Not a good idea to wait until the very end to renew...

Augustin
24-08-2011, 20:53
After all, it is not their fault that Russia has screwed up import rules.

sure. Customs is one of the biggest problem in our company. But it's not the guy at the border who changes the customs code every two hours...

tmay88
07-09-2011, 11:29
Hi
I am a student from Austria studying in St Petersburg. I want to drive my car here(which has Austrian license plates). I have a multiple entry student Visa which I always have to extend after 6 months, after passing all my exams. They don't let me extend it for more than 6 months at a time, since it's not definite that I will pass my exams. Do you know whether there is a customs office for cars here where I would go with my Vremeni Voz? Do you know anyone in Spb who could deal with the entire thing? Would they let me keep it in Spb for the entire year? And lastly can I even bring my car only having a student visa and no work permit?
Your help would be much appreciated
Thank you

Hans.KK
07-09-2011, 18:51
Would they let me keep it in Spb for the entire year?I would enter Russia at the Finnish border crossing Vaalimaa and insist on a 3 month Russian temp. registration (default is 2 weeks) for the car, and just before the end of this 3 mont, I would visit Finland again, and then repeat the game again.

And lastly can I even bring my car only having a student visa and no work permit?Why not ?

NLD
07-09-2011, 20:19
I got our former car here on a business visa, so student visa should work just as well. Btw., at the border Zilupe <-> Zasitino I got 3 months both times, without asking. Guess I was lucky :)

Augustin
13-12-2011, 16:52
Gents,
I was in VVC (VDNH) twice this month, so I will try to share my experience :
- vremeniy vvoz made for 3 months at estonian border
- arrived to extend it to on year. It is pav. 229 in VVC, metro station VDNH. You should arrive by the West entrance, the 229 pav is west side of the rocket.
You can get in car in the territory, but it will cost you 400 roubles.
Openings :
Monday - Wed 9:00 - 18:00;
Thur 11:00 - 18:00;
Friday 9:00 - 16:45;
Lunch 13:00 - 13:45.

- you should have originals AND copies of all your documents. (passport, visa, migration card, registration, car tech passport, insurance, vremeniy vvos, work permit if applied).

-you need to fill a form (30 roubles at the place, or downloadable, links at the end of the post)

-Every time I was there, I arrived around 8h40, and already 10 people were waiting. People use a list to make the queue, and quite respect it. I was 11 on the list, and got out 10h30 - 11h00.

-The customs officer call people in an office, you give all your documents, get out, wait, they call you back and that's it !

Finally, I was there twice because my company made my Registration for 3 months only, knowing I would fly in and out anyway. They agreed to make the vremeniy vvos only until the end of the registration, althought all other documents were valid for 9 months. BEWARE your registration is done until the end of your visa and not only for 3 months !

Good luck ;)

Attachments : map, form to fill, and how to fill it.

Augustin
13-12-2011, 16:56
whoops sorry for the attachments, i thought it would post links.
Admins pleeeaaase help

JimG
19-12-2011, 21:06
I have California plates, registration, title and insurance.
And I will be planning to drive out of the country and drive back in as my one year in country is about to expire and as I understand, I need to leave the country need to refill out the border papers and get to keep the car I. Country for another year.
Does anybody have any experience with this?
I am wondering if I can literally pull a u-turn after the border?
I was planning to go to Finland.
Does anybody have a better border to deal with?
Thanks in advance,
Jimmy

Tony P
19-12-2011, 23:46
Jim
You are correct.
I have driven my UK registered car out of RUS into Finland (while still on the initial 3 months) and back after a weekend and was granted another 3 months. The Customs guy on re-entry looking for any previous record of me having vehicles in RUS saw my motor bike listed and asked why I was not on it. Ha. Ha. It was -15C in December and snowing hard! Russians do have a sence of humour.

It seems they via my Passport details they can call up on the computor all vehicles I had ever brought in and taken out again.

3 months later I took the same car back to London and 4 months after that drove it back to RUS, was granted another initial 3 months which I have recently extended to a year.

An American friend here in Moscow has both US and German registered motos here and taken one to Latvia (which is closer to Moscow) for 20 minutes to do a U-turn and the other to Ukraine where he left it in 'no-mans land' between both border controls while he walked to the Ukraine hut to get his passport stamped walking in, went round to the otherside and got a stamp for going out - then collected his bike and rode back to RUS controls. The point being he needed Ukraine road insurance to be stamped in if he was on his bike and didn't see the point of paying for a minimum period when he otherwise needed it for 5 minutes!

PM me if you want to contact him to ask more.

MatWin
11-01-2012, 16:37
Green European insurance certificate: Needed e.g. if you enter Ukraine, now also being accepted by Russians. Germans please note that most insurances exclude/cross out Russia on the certificate. Russian validity is available from HUK-Coburg upon request and only temporary (2weeks, I heard even 6months), AXA-Colonia (temporary?)
Russsian insurance you receive also on the boarder but it is a lot cheaper in Moscow or another town. You can get 15days at the boarders for a 3000ccm for about 50USD (if you bargain it down from 120USD).
According to my friend it is fastest to cross the boarder from UA to RU at Belgorod (near Kharkov). According to him waiting time only 20min but the road from Kiev to Kharkov is (or used to be) very bad.
A good boarder crossing according to my friend is KATALINIVKA near (Glukhov). Its a small crossing in the south of Glukhov and officials are friendly. They are not necessarily very fast but flexible.

See also my thread BOARDER CROSSINGS IN RUSSIA

Hans.KK
12-01-2012, 13:42
Green European insurance certificate: Needed e.g. if you enter Ukraine, now also being accepted by Russians.FYI, it has been accepted from the 1st of Januar 2009 when Russia join the "Green Card".

erkki.bw
20-01-2012, 14:41
Hello

Can some one tell the procedure and contact info how to get russian plates and register my car as tax free???
I am in St Pete.

If I understood right Vaaltone You have done it????

Erkki

Northman
07-05-2012, 12:34
Has anyone let the auto to be driven by someone other than the owner listed in vremenyi vvoz, with a "dovernosti"?
I need my girlfriend (russian passport only) to be able to also drive the car, and avoid buying another one, but do not know the possible consequences!

frankjohn2
14-05-2012, 05:46
What happens if you do not remove your temporarily imported vehicle before the expiration of the extension?

A fine? Or something else?

Anyone?

stoli7
05-07-2012, 13:08
BUMP. Does anyone know answer for the question from Northman? I am in the same situation.

Has anyone let the auto to be driven by someone other than the owner listed in vremenyi vvoz, with a "dovernosti"?
I need my girlfriend (russian passport only) to be able to also drive the car, and avoid buying another one, but do not know the possible consequences!

Garibaldi
05-07-2012, 13:29
Several years ago they stopped giving a "vremini vost" (temporary import) document at the border. Now your car is just declared in your standard declaration forms. Contemporaneous with this change, the GAI quit asking for any import documents on traffic stops. You still need your driving license, the title to the car and insurance. But the declaration is a customs matter, not a traffic police matter and I suppose this is why they don't ask about it.

So if you do not plan to re-export your car, as a practical matter you can keep it here forever as far as I can see. My car has been here several years now and I have no plans to re-export it. I'll just scrap it for parts when the time comes and re-import a different one.

If you try to re-export the car with a declaration that shows it to be in the country for more than a year, you will have to write an official explanation and pay a small fine. At least that is what happened to me the couple of times it happened many years ago. But it could be different today.

Tony P
05-07-2012, 18:40
My car has been here several years now and I have no plans to re-export it. I'll just scrap it for parts when the time comes and re-import a different one.

That may not be quite the simple solution you make it sound.

Customs record in their computor your Passport details etc and from these details call up records of each time you passed through a border with a vehicle. From that, they will see if any vehicles are 'outstanding'.

I discovered this when exiting (into Finland) with a UK reg car. After a few minutes waiting for the details to fully load, the Customs officer said he had been waiting to find the computor record of my car's entry into RUS (actually 11 weeks earlier from Latvia) and while waiting said he had found my moto coming and going 3 times. And that moto had not been in RUS for nearly 2 years and never near Finland.

Under TRP you are only permitted one foreign vehicle at a time, so you will have to provide some explanation/proof and a police certificate to them concerning the demise of your first vehicle - or pay Duty assessed on their perception of it's value to 'write it off' their records.

MatWin
10-07-2012, 18:57
Hey Tony, hey Garribaldi,
I guess the standard practice lays somewhere between both of your threads.
If somebody in this forum has a problem because he overstayed his temporary import deadline he can send me a PM (personal message). I have had that problem as well. Once they let me stand 3hours in line at the prolongation office and then turned off the computer, another time my (oldtimer) car wasnt able to make it to the boarder. I now found a good solution for such problems...Cheers M