PDA

View Full Version : Nokia 3G Booklet Netbook

Qdos
04-09-2009, 10:21
Many expats use mobile computing devices, myself included, and I will certainly give some consideration to Nokias new offering once the cost settles down to market norms.

Nokia are entering the Netbook war. Whilst they've attracted criticism for a steep projected pricetag, this is one of the only 10.1" netbooks with a native 3G mobile modem, plus GPS, and Bluetooth and your essential WiFi, and all built inside a smart aluminium shell.

YouTube- Nokia Booklet 3G first video

Though it will ship with Windows7, whereas most other Netbooks run XP, it comes with only a 1Gb DDR2 RAM module (presumably upgradeable to at least 2Gb) and a 4200rpm 120Gb hard disk, instead of an energy saving SSD drive.

Powering it is an Atom Z350 1.6Ghz CPU, and that's not even a dual-core chip, however they're also not power hungry (but are slower than the N270 Atom processors used in most current netbooks) hence Nokia are claiming a 12 hour battery life.

Cons:

Price, they're planning on asking a lot ($800 or circa €550)

Weight, it's heavier than the plastic shelled Asus/Samsung offerings

No optical drive, although this is the norm for netbooks

Battery life claims may be with Wifi & 3G turned off
Pros:

It looks the business

Windows7 means it's more future proof
You can bet your last dollar Asus and others will play to Nokia and begin making similar advances in their own netbook range very soon indeed.

FatAndy
04-09-2009, 11:15
Pro - alu case is more resistant to shocks, bents etc mech damages.
Con - 120 GB 4200rpm drive may appear 1.8" format, so much less availability and choice for upgrade vs usual 2.5"

Qdos
04-09-2009, 11:32
None of the other mainstream netbooks use 1.8" drives, however full specs aren't yet known to go against. My own Asus 1000h (modded from original internal specs) has a 2.5" 320Gb 7200rpm anti-shock HDD for instance.

I'd be astonished if Nokia departed from that format... :)

FatAndy
04-09-2009, 12:29
I'm in doubts about is it mainstream or not, but HP 2133 used 1.8" drive (of famous vendors). I'm not so interested in 7200 speed vs battery life, so 500GB 5400 rpm is in my Lenovo S10.

FatAndy
04-09-2009, 13:52
Dell Inspiron Mini 1210 also looks having 1.8"

Qdos
04-09-2009, 19:06
Neither the Lenovo or the Dell are enthusiast netbooks, there's a whole community of extremely staunch users for these machines and nothing that has a tiny 1.8" drive is even remotely ranked as viable, nor are the netbooks running Linux oddly enough... ;)

The point regards the Nokia is that it's got a built in 3G modem, and if you try buying a standalone 3G PCiE modem it's currently very expensive - circa 7,000py6 or thereabouts... and the Nokia is rumoured to have a hotswap SIM slot built in... :)

You can't compare the older generation netbooks with it, I posted this because there's nothing in the marketplace in netbook format with built in 3G, nevermind possible SIM hotswapping from an external slot...

Maybe when 3G impacts Russia the attraction will become clearer :)

FatAndy
06-09-2009, 18:27
Well, to be honest, I see no super attractivity for built-in 3G for such heap of money while you can buy USB modem for less than 2K rub from MTS, Beeline or Megafon just now...
It can be more interesting for non-moscovits (3G at Moscow will be only at premises like big shopping centers and in metro only yet), but payability in regions is much lower... well... let's see!;)

Qdos
06-09-2009, 18:33
The attraction for expats is 3G is more widespread elsewhere, and will certainly be coming to all of Russia sooner or later... :10293:

FatAndy
06-09-2009, 19:22
It is already here, in SPb, Ekaterinburg, Nsk, Rostov and many other big cities, but Moscow and oblast' is not in list yet (can be interferention with anti-missile "umbrella" military radio equipment using same RF band). Inside premises and in metro it is already allowed, but not outdoors, until testing vs mutual interference is finished (in the process now).
As mobile Internet alternative for 3G GSM/WCDMA in Moscow there is low-freq (450 MHz) CDMA available already for few years, and Yota+Comstar WiMAX both started a year ago...
Yota has reached Ufa already, so maybe N. Chelny will get mobile Internet soon too... I hope ;)

mattology
07-09-2009, 15:19
How fast are Yota/Wimax actually compared to 3G and does something like that exist for mobile phones too? I'd like to finally use the speed of my 3Gs for data packaging while on the go.

FatAndy
07-09-2009, 15:28
Yota and Comstar claim that they reach up to 10 Mbps but to be more realistic we can expect 2-3.

HTC has one model with WiMAX here (smth like HTC 4G)

Qdos
09-09-2009, 22:26
Some more details on the Nokia Booklet...

Nokia booklet 3g - The Inquirer (http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/review/1532813/nokia-booklet-3g)