PDA

View Full Version : How much to pay a personal driver in Moscow?

SunnyBunny
09-12-2004, 11:35
I am wondering if our driver is overpaid or not (we think we pay him lots but he is constantly complaining he is underpaid)

Our driver has his own car, works 40hours/week anything over or weekends he gets paid overtime ($5/hour) For 40hrs/week he gets $850. (he very seldom works 40 hours though, more like 930 to 4:30 x 5 days a week=35hrs)
Does this sound reasonable? Should I increase his pay or tell him to stop complaining?
Thanks!

Ghost
09-12-2004, 11:36
He makes 850 a week? Or a month. If it's a week, you should definitely tell him to shaddup.

If it's a month, I've heard quoted figures of 1000 a month.

kak
09-12-2004, 11:39
$5*40= 200/week *4.5 = +/- 850 dollars/month. ;)

SunnyBunny
09-12-2004, 11:48
Lol, no its $850 a month, guess I wasn't clear

plastique
09-12-2004, 11:52
i have heard similar prices and even lower ones. do you pay his gas and insurance? sometimes the driver gets lower salary with those perks, but then others make up for the lower salary with overtime. i think that salary sounds reasonable fro Moscow.

kak
09-12-2004, 11:54
This is reasonnable! this is a...driver ;) they are still a lot of russian people who earn less than that and who have much more reponsabilities

SunnyBunny
09-12-2004, 11:58
I forgot to mention that we DO pay for gas (only for kms he drives for us) on top of that.

SunnyBunny
09-12-2004, 12:00
Originally posted by kak
This is reasonnable! this is a...driver ;) they are still a lot of russian people who earn less than that and who have much more reponsabilities

I totally agree. It makes me angry that some professionals with higher education get less than that. Yet I am getting p*ssed off with all this complaining so wanted to find out what the going rates are.

corp_fin
09-12-2004, 12:08
Kick the greedy b***** out.

plastique
09-12-2004, 12:20
my teachers at my school are narodny artists, tops of their fields in film and theater and they make $100 per month. they are frigging stars and in Hollywood they would be commanding mils, but here $100 per month plus their stipend for being narodny artists which is like another $50. they work nonstop between teaching, rehearsing, performing. they are over 60 most of them and still busting their bums to make less per month than a dude with a car...there's some perspective.

Pingu
09-12-2004, 12:29
From talking to others, drivers here seem to be paid between $400-800, with most being paid around the middle $600 mark. This seems to vary depending on whether they live in the centre or outskirts and whether they're using their own car or their driver's car, but all pay petrol/overtime/etc. So, based on what I've heard, your $850 does seem reasonable.

moscowmail
09-12-2004, 12:29
100% right, it is a real sad shame.

I got a driver from this site, I pay him $350 per month, drives my car, but he is also doing other stuff for me, I will promote and increase shis salary

In one of my other companies I have a driver with his own Russ car, he is paid $600 per month, plus fuel, he charges from his home, + mobile allowance, totals about $850 per month

SunnyBunny
09-12-2004, 12:32
Originally posted by plastique
my teachers at my school are narodny artists, tops of their fields in film and theater and they make $100 per month. they are frigging stars and in Hollywood they would be commanding mils, but here $100 per month plus their stipend for being narodny artists which is like another $50. they work nonstop between teaching, rehearsing, performing. they are over 60 most of them and still busting their bums to make less per month than a dude with a car...there's some perspective.

yes, this is very sad. Capitalism in Russia is very cruel and unfair.

Phenomenon
11-12-2004, 09:12
first things first......sack the guy.
there are enough cars and drivers available...shortlist abt 4-5 and select one very carefully therefatre
850 plus gas is brilliant...not just good.
Problem with most of these chaps is that , unlike most other parts of the world, they forget how cold it is on the streets and what it is to be without a job yet having to support family.
This guy will never be happy. Find alternatives today and show him the door.You will have problems with him even if u increase the salary...so no compromises

jigger
12-12-2004, 19:57
I think $850 is a very good wage, we started on the same for a driver with car when we first arrived. For that he should be doing 40 hours plus the odd evening & be able to work some hours at the weekend too. This is the kind of wage a corporate driver who is driving backwards & forward all day can attract and working privately is generally less onerous. I would ignore his complaints.

Lady Marmalade
13-12-2004, 14:06
Disregard his complaints entirely, 850$ is more than reasonable and you're paying the gas. I know that one of guys at my husband's company pays his driver 650$ a month and the guy is on call 24/7 whenever this guy is in town. He doesn't get his parking covered while he's here at the company building and has to pay out of his own pocket, and I don't know who's paying the gas. I think 850$ is more than reasonable given the current market. I tend to agree with whomever wrote that you should give him the boot, he sounds like he's just going to find something else to whine about and let's face it, those types of people are energy suckers. Just my two cents worth.