PDA

View Full Version : Yule Logs

Valentinovna
09-12-2004, 10:17
Are they actually a real tradition? Or something the supermarkets thought up?
(I am talking about the chocolatey cakey lumps covered in Chocolate icing, not actual trees.)
Does anyone make them, or know where to find them in Moscow?

85StoneWhiteFurball
09-12-2004, 10:20
I remember tasting one over 30 years ago, so if it is a marketing ploy, it goes back quite a ways. Finding them in Moscow - seems like Stockmann or perhaps Fauchon would be the way to go - former is expensive, latter is prohibitive.

Shatneresque
09-12-2004, 10:22
Does Stockmann have Christmas puddings this year? They used to carry them....

Valentinovna
09-12-2004, 10:28
Yuck, I hope not. Only Christmas cake is worse than christmas pudding. When they set the brandy on fire I am always secretly disappointed that the pudding isn't destroyed.

85StoneWhiteFurball
09-12-2004, 10:30
Originally posted by Shatneresque
Does Stockmann have Christmas puddings this year? They used to carry them....

They are available quite widely. Some brands include Chappi, Pedigree and the more upmarket Eukanuba.

Shatneresque
09-12-2004, 10:34
Originally posted by Valentinovna
Yuck, I hope not. Only Christmas cake is worse than christmas pudding. When they set the brandy on fire I am always secretly disappointed that the pudding isn't destroyed.

Really?! I quite like them, especially when served with custard sauce.

The ones made with treacle, however, are a bit too sweet for my taste.... :sick:

Anyway, I already have one tucked safely away in my pantry at home, just waiting to be microwaved!

lochnessmonster
09-12-2004, 10:47
Originally posted by Valentinovna
Are they actually a real tradition? Or something the supermarkets thought up?
Does anyone make them, or know where to find them in Moscow?

Yes, they ARE part of a tradition. My mind's kind of fuzzy but it's to do with many households burning a large log of wood over the Christmas/holiday period, for family and friends, so they could all be together, and it was designated the 'yule log'. The chocolate variety, complete with meringue mushrooms, comes from that.