PDA

View Full Version : Russia Made Lens for Canon EOS

Shannon Heng
02-09-2009, 11:59
I have just started photography as a hobby, and was hoping to get my hands on some Russian-made lens for Canon EOS.

Could anyone tell me where in Moscow will I be able to find such a shop?

No tourist trap shop please. I am on a budget :)

PS: I wish I can post some of the shots I have taken, but apparently I have to have a post count of more that 5... This is my 2nd post :(

Morgan
02-09-2009, 12:35
I never heard about russia lens made for EOS, but you can still put an adaptator ring on M49 lens (I have to check the exact references).
I have a Canon 400D and I bought some Zenith lens with this system (mainly for fun).
If your are interested into protraits it can be nice to find an old manual lens but with great apperture (but of course you'll have to set everything manualy).

There is quite a great choice at Ismaelovo market and not too expensive.

Qdos
02-09-2009, 13:17
I wish I can post some of the shots I have taken, but apparently I have to have a post count of more that 5... This is my 2nd post :(

That's incorrect... the forum already integrally offers you image attachments hosting, and once you're able to post live links you can also use an external image host such as Tinypic or Photobucket... ;)

http://i30.tinypic.com/fnadmr.png

Shannon Heng
02-09-2009, 13:23
thanks Morgan. I am currently using the 1000D (rebel xs) with the 18-55mm zoom lens. Did you get the Zenith lens and M49 adaptor at Ismaelovo?

Shannon Heng
03-09-2009, 18:32
I never heard about russia lens made for EOS, but you can still put an adaptator ring on M49 lens (I have to check the exact references).
expensive.

OK I manage to find the exact reference number for the adapter ring for Canon EOS. It is M42.

I will be making a trip to Ismelova market in two weeks time. Hope I will be able to find some good and nice prime lens to play with. :)

Morgan
05-09-2009, 19:16
Sorry about M49, I suppose I mixed M39 and M42.

I bought my ring on the internet, but I suppose that you can find it everywhere for about 20/30 USD.
When buying M42 Lens check that Lens can be screwed on the camera (no kidding ;-)) and not clipped. There is two different systems and rings are usualy done for screw system.
The best way to proceed is to have already the rind and make some test pictures with your digital camera.
There is less risk of damages on a fixed Lens rather than on a zoom, and try to check any sign of moisture on the lens.

Hope you'll find some nice old stuff!

Shannon Heng
05-09-2009, 20:38
thanks for the advice :)

I also hope i can find a good 50mm prime len with very low f number to get the bokeh pictures.

I have been posting some of the pictures that i have taken of Stary Arbat, cause I stay nearby and this street always have a lot of interesting stuff/people to take photos of.

Hope you will enjoy them.

galma777
10-09-2009, 14:28
There is no Russian lens for EOS exactly. If you want to save some money you can use Sigma lens for EOS. And in case you need some special lens for short period there are some companies where you can lend the lens (or other equipment) for appropriate price

Shannon Heng
10-09-2009, 16:30
thanks for the information. I just wanted to get my hands on some old manual lens to fiddle with.

Shannon Heng
13-09-2009, 16:30
Went to Ismelova market yesterday, and got myself a Carl Zeiss Jenna 50mm/2.8 and a M42 adaptor for a decent deal.

The optics are really dusty and full of horrible grease and dirt. Spend 3 hours stripping out the whole lens, clean it and put back. the optical lens are in good condition, no scratches, as far as I can see.

Thanks again morgan for the advice.

FatAndy
14-09-2009, 19:15
Hi Shannon, thanks for info. Can you please describe cleaning procedure - which instruments, tools, liquids you did use? And all the process? I've heard that special lens coating can be damaged while cleaning, how to avoid it?

Morgan
14-09-2009, 20:24
Glad that you find something to play with!
Shame that it's not Russian lens, but I doubt that they made Lens with great aperture in M42 format.
Personaly I choosed a Super Takumar 50mm 1.4.

I hope that you will enjoy your German lens as much as enjay my japonese one.

Shannon Heng
14-09-2009, 23:32
FatAndy:
Hi, I used lens cleaning alcohol, a set of small screw drivers, a tweezers, lint free cloth and tissues, cotton bud, and silicon grease. Very old optics len are not multi-coat. so should not damage the lens at all (I think). but must be careful as things are dusty andlot of grease and grime.

so far I have cleaned the CZJ lens following instructions from Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm f2.8 (M42 mount) Servicing (http://oomz.net/tessar/)... but make sure u read everything before starting

Manage to clean out about 80% of the bad stuff in there. To get it all squeaky clean, must find a professional.

Morgan:
I forgot to mention, I also got myself a mir-1B 37mm f/2.8, still have no time to play with it yet. Lots of work this week.

Shannon Heng
21-09-2009, 11:50
Went to Izmelova market again, and this time, I got the russian lenses that I was really looking for.

Tair-11 133mm f/2.8: is a picture of the sky I took. very sharp and clear. Gives very good bokeh results, but really heavy bring around. The one that I got was really dusty and focusing ring is slightly jammed, and one fastening screw missing. What to expect for less than 40 dollars...after cleaning it the best I can this is the result.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3435/3937525645_c28c1d5c43.jpg

Industar 61L/Z 50mm f/2.8 marco: This is a real gem. found it lying around in one of the store manned by a old fellow. Like the rest of the lens I got, some quick cleaning of the lens and it worked nicely. All pictures are not edited.

fried Beehoon (rice noodles) singapore style
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2495/3940614792_696b80e7ca.jpg

Singareev
02-10-2009, 13:08
OMG, Shannon im really impressed by Industar! ) How much was it when u found it? )

Shannon Heng
03-10-2009, 00:58
got the lens for 1000 RUR.

Shannon Heng
17-10-2009, 23:18
Other than taking good macro picture, it can give star-shaped bokeh.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2726/4020158168_ec6b0f3993.jpg