PDA

View Full Version : Man stabbed in Manchester for speaking Russian

Polia Ivanova
08-12-2004, 15:07
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/4077691.stm

Man stabbed for speaking Russian

The man was stabbed in the head during the attack
A Latvian man was stabbed in the head by a gang of teenagers after they heard him speaking Russian, police say.
The 38-year-old was walking home along Lower Broughton Road in Salford, Greater Manchester, with two friends on Friday when the youths turned on them.

A man and woman, both 32, received minor injuries in the racist attack, which happened late on Friday night.

Police are keen to trace a black cab that drove along Lower Broughton Road during the attack.

The taxi driver had picked up two people in Manchester and was driving along Lower Broughton Road.

The driver is thought to have slowed down as he passed the scene of the attack, and pulled out to avoid a car, thought to be a Nissan Micra, which had stopped.

'Vicious attack'

Police believe the owner of the Micra helped the victims.

Det Ch Insp Sam Haworth, of Greater Manchester Police, said: "This was a vicious attack that has left a man fighting for his life in hospital.

"I would urge anyone with information to contact us. There would have been plenty of people around between 2230 and 2345 GMT as the Prince of Wales pub and several takeaways are in the immediate area of the attack.

"We would like to speak to anyone who may have seen this incident or who stopped to help the injured man."

The second man was taken to Hope Hospital, Salford with stab wounds to his stomach and cuts and bruises.

The woman was taken to the Royal Bolton Hospital with cuts to her face and a stab wound to the back.

Both were released from hospital on Tuesday.

Outlaw
08-12-2004, 15:10
I think you'd get stabbed here for drunkenly screaming, "************************************

Probably a drunken Russian sailor.

Maine Surfer
08-12-2004, 15:11
Manchester... sounds like it's a lovely place

stefania2003
08-12-2004, 15:23
Yes it is:) I come from there and so does Robby Williams:)

Maine Surfer
08-12-2004, 15:30
Well, sh*t can happen anywhere...Ironiclly, the man was Latvian

They don't like Russians in Manchester?

Olim
08-12-2004, 15:41
I doubt your average Mancunian would know Russian from Mandarin Chinese or Martian.

Anyway, Robbie Williams is from Stoke, not Manchester.

stefania2003
08-12-2004, 15:41
I think actually this was a bunch of out-of-work yobbos who heard someone speaking a foreign language and went for him. I doubt very much if they were even educated enough to know the difference between Russian, German, Polish or French:) Just low lives:(

rantandrave
08-12-2004, 16:16
Hello, this was in SALFORD. I doubt it had anything to do with the language at all, it was probably just for kicks. Or spare change for chips. I mean honestly. Manchester might have its issues, but this post implies that speaking a few words of a foreign language will get you stomped, which is patently ridiculous, and really sensational. Much like the local press, really....

Olim
08-12-2004, 16:26
Salford is practically Manchester- no need to nitpick.

Polia Ivanova
08-12-2004, 16:41
Originally posted by Olim
Salford is practically Manchester- no need to nitpick.

Salford is almost Manchester center.
There was a reason for guys and gals to be there - Mark Addy pub where Russians gather on Friday night is in Salford, 5 minutes walk from major street Deansgate.

And the reason for the attack was speaking a foreign language, doesn't matter which one, this is true too.

At least they called it racial. Three years ago complaints against one very racial commercial featuring Russian men being bought with a credit card wasn’t upheld because we “are not perceived as persons of low esteem” e.g. if this commercial featured Indians it would be racial, but with Russians it was not.

There are many colours of racism…or may be it has something to do with Chelsea.

trebor
08-12-2004, 19:32
Yobs and their drinking culture in Britain will attack anyone with a foreign language. I have seen it first hand. Pretty ugly!
Do you think these di*kheads could tell the difference between Chinese, Urdu or Russian after 10 pints of lager?

USCGamecock
08-12-2004, 19:44
Typical of hooligans.

Sparafucile
08-12-2004, 23:38
The general area around Manchester is home to the largest minority population of Ukrainians in GB. There are in fact a very large number of them - enough to support ethnic shops and groceries, a Ukrainian bakery (a Lithuanian mate of mine was their delivery driver for a while), and there are also Saturday Schools where Ukrainian culture was kept alive during the USSR period. (This is no idle boast - after the USSR ended, it was Manchester Ukrainians who took back the folksongs and dances to the old Motherland, where they'd been banned in favour of sovietised pseudo-folklore pap).

Manchester is also home to rock-band "The Ukrainians", whose repertoire (some sung in English, some in W Ukrainian) includes both Ukrainian ballads and Ukrainian-language cover versions of other songs. You've not lived until you've heard "We're so pretty, oh so pretty... vacanty!!", I promise you.

Kultura: The Ukrainians: Amazon.co.uk: Music@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51A1P949GKL.@@AMEPARAM@@51A1P949GKL

Look at the flight-destinations board in Manchester Airport - Edinburgh, Copenhagen, Majorca... Ivano-Frankivsk.... (I kid you not).

There really shouldn't be any reason why slavic languages ought to raise the hackles of Mancunians. I hope this poor bloke recovers.

Leslie Presley
08-12-2004, 23:49
Originally posted by stefania2003
Yes it is:) I come from there and so does Robby Williams:)

YOU might come from 'there' but RobbIE Williams does'nt!

He was born in Stoke-on-Trent Staffordshire.

Claude Bottom
09-12-2004, 21:36
Salford is bugger all to do with Manchester. Think of it as the anteroom to Hades. The police dogs walk around in pairs down Salford Royal Infirmary - I'm not surprised someone was beaten up for speaking Russian, but I think it was more a case of jealousy and he was beaten up for speaking, rather than grunting. A local pastime in Salford some years ago used to be "cut jumping" - trying to jump the canal rather than walk around the lock after coming back from a night on the beer..... this tells you all you need to know about Salford.

Having said that, it's just paranoia. He was probably duffed up (quaint English phrase) for speaking a foreign language. If he was speaking Russian in parts of Poland..... the same rule would apply. Stupidity is - quite inconveniently - universal.

Claude Bottom
09-12-2004, 21:42
Originally posted by Sparafucile
The general area around Manchester is home to the largest minority population of Ukrainians in GB.

A lot of whom fought with the Germans in WW2 as "Hilfswillige" - "volunteers". Yep, these former Nazi collaborators have done splendidly - Iron cross, anyone ?

And it is T R U E. Met quite a few of them. The current kholkhol community nearly pee pee'd their pantaloni when I asked if my Russian fiancee (now happily ex fiancee) could come along to one of their little shindigs - "No !!! "

"Why? "

"Because of Stalin and the great famine !!! "

As I said, stupidity and racism are universal.

capone
09-12-2004, 21:55
Maybe they heard the strange noise coming from his mouth and thought that he was from the South of England...

Sparafucile
09-12-2004, 22:29
>> A lot of whom fought with the Germans in WW2 as "Hilfswillige" <<

Assuming that they were, say 18 when they did so, that would make them a minimum of 77 years old today.

Or are you going to hold their children and grandchildren responsible too?

You're suggesting what - that the assailant was a British WW2 vet with a grudge he has held since 1945?

Sheesh.

Claude Bottom
10-12-2004, 00:16
Originally posted by capone
Maybe they heard the strange noise coming from his mouth and thought that he was from the South of England...

Perhaps they did, but they'd be wrong. Lived there 38 years. Know it rather well...... perhaps they read Capone's name and thought he was from Sicily ? :-)

Claude Bottom
10-12-2004, 00:24
Originally posted by Sparafucile
>> A lot of whom fought with the Germans in WW2 as "Hilfswillige" <<

Assuming that they were, say 18 when they did so, that would make them a minimum of 77 years old today.

Or are you going to hold their children and grandchildren responsible too?

You're suggesting what - that the assailant was a British WW2 vet with a grudge he has held since 1945?

Sheesh.

Hi Sparafucile - yep, there are some 80-odd year old ex nazis (or rather, Nazi collaborators) in Manchester. The present Ukranian generation are fine - I have a few Ukranian friends back in Manchester, but not all Ukranians in Manchester and Salford are particularly welcoming, and they're even less welcoming if you speak po-Russki to them. Unfortunately, whilst in Ukraine, the depredations of Stalin in the 30's are mainly forgotten, those who came to the UK tend to have kept some of the old hatreds alive, in the manner of expats.

Don't think that I have anything against anyone on the grounds of nationality..... but I'm not too keen on former SS members and people who helped the German army in 39-45 as effective mercenaries. Some of which reside in Manchester. We are obviously from older generations, but I did grow up with a certain knowledge of the holocaust in Eastern Europe and the einsatzcommando massacres.

When the 6th Army capitulated at Stalingrad, Red Army Command were astonished at the number of "hiwis" - collaborators - in the Wermacht. 350,000 were captured at Stalingrad alone. The Second World War - or rather, Great Patriotic War - was not black and white and I *personally* know of several members of the Ukranian community in Manchester who fought with the Wermacht in WW2 and take a particular pleasure in telling you that.

Returning to the original point - the person beaten in Salford would have been beaten if he'd had a Liverpool accent. Salford is not a nice place. And not all Western or Eastern Ukranians have a simply explicable past, or one as simple as your post suggests. Sorry to have to mention it, but...... the world ain't black and white.

C'mon, disagree with me if you will, but at least it's an interesting thread. ;-)