PDA

View Full Version : Death Knell for Snow Leopard...

Qdos
29-08-2009, 11:26
Well, finally, Apple have released Snow Leopard - however they've already received strong criticism in the IT community for failing (quite incredibly!) to implement ASLR, or address space layout randomization, which protects the hardware from malicious attack.

Even Vista implemented ASLR, and Windows 7 continues the tradition, adding a significant additional hardware security layer to your computers integrity to defeat hackers and prevent malicious code executing.

It seems Snow Leopard is a step back to the stone age, and Apples latest operating system should be boycotted as a result.

Snow Leopard security - The good, the bad and the missing € The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/08/29/snow_leopard_security/)

When OS X Leopard was released it was notably inferior to other operating systems which featured ASLR, but given Apple can't really go head to head with Microsoft due to comparitive funding shortfalls, it was perhaps forgivable at the advent of Leopard that Vista had the security edge.

Right now, well it's absolutely [-]astonishing[/-], no, let's make that disgraceful and be objective with the truth, that this basic security architecture simply isn't there in Snow Leopard! :rolleyes:

tiktokman
31-08-2009, 17:50
Sometimes the truth is painful... :hooray:

Pwn2Own contest winner: Macs are safer than Windows

AppleInsider | Print: Pwn2Own contest winner: Macs are safer than Windows (http://www.appleinsider.com/print/09/03/26/pwn2own_contest_winner_macs_are_safer_than_windows.html)

AppleInsider | Road to Mac OS X Snow Leopard: 64-bit security [Page 2] (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/01/16/road_to_mac_os_x_snow_leopard_64_bit_security.html&page=2)

Apple's sheltered existence in isolation from regular malware attacks puts it in the enviable position of being able to focus on building security features proactively, rather than in response to ongoing, embarrassing exploits. For Mac users, that means the window of opportunity for malware exploits is being closed off before circumstances change enough for the platform to become a viable target.

The company is being relatively quiet about its security efforts because it doesn't want to be directly compared against Microsoft, which is ahead in some security areas, at least in its latest software releases. However, Microsoft's installed base of the billion PCs running Windows worldwide is not protected by advancements in the latest releases because relatively few users have upgraded to the latest releases.

That give Apple a strong position in maintaining its security halo because the Windows PC world is so rife with low hanging fruit for malicious attackers that the Mac platform remains an undesirable target. That leaves disgruntled pundits with nothing to complain about outside of misleading vulnerability counts. So while PC users contend with the constant din of security issues and performance sapping layers of security software, Mac users are free to just enjoy the silence.

Qdos
31-08-2009, 19:06
This thread isn't about comparing Windows to Mac OS X.

Nor which is better.

It's simply about shortfalls in Snow Leopard.

Please read the link highlighted in the OP ;)

And don't succumb to the tempation to hijack this topic further... :neiner:

mattology
07-09-2009, 17:18
In any case - it's quite obvious (not just in this thread) that you seem to have some problems accepting that OS X in some cases is far more advanced (even if just in its core) than Windows. I personally hate any bashing, but my experience with both OS's has proven that overall - and that's what it's about IMHO - Apple has the faster, more reliable, much easier to use, and more secure operating system out there.
Even with all the hardware quality issues that Apple has had to deal with in the past few years after introduction of Intel processors, OS X still remains the probably sweetest OS in this world.

Just my 2 cents ;)

Qdos
07-09-2009, 20:04
I think over the years I've said far more critical things about Windows than Mac OS X, but you may find yourself short of research material regards that on this forum as I wasn't here during Win9x's day... ;)

This thread isn't a comparison between Windows and Mac OS X, the whole point in posting it was to show Mac are over-confident and have taken severe shortcuts in the kernel as per the OP above.

At the same time, Mac have been recommending users employ an anti-virus solution on their platform for a number of years. There's a rather distinct paradox in these two facts.

I'm not talking about Snow Leopards functionality or interface, which I have heard is a really nice effort, I'm talking about technical specification (and solely technical specification!) regards their shortsightedness in not incorporating ASLR.

I might have been tempted to switch to Mac personally, except that my profession is repairing Windows installations and I prefer to keep on the same platform as my clients for obvious reasons.