PDA

View Full Version : Russian Language Test for Citizenship of the RF

SV1973a
27-08-2009, 14:45
Yesterday I took the Russian Language Test at the Pushkin State Russian Language Institute. (ekzamen dlya prioma v grazhdanstvo RF)
I passed the test. URA!!
In a couple of weeks I will receive the certificate that proofs that I master the Russian language sufficiently, to be able to participate in society in a normal way.
One of the requirements for Citizenship of the RF, is that you have this certificate (unless your mother tongue is Russian, or if you did your studies in Russia).

If anybody else is interested, let me know, and I will be happy to share my experiences.

Viola
27-08-2009, 14:48
So why are you writing this in English??? How can we know that you really passed the test? ;)

Congratulations!!!:fireworks: Russian is difficult!

tvadim133
27-08-2009, 16:14
МОИ ПОЗДРАВЛЕНИЯ! :applause:

SV1973a
28-08-2009, 07:45
So why are you writing this in English??? How can we know that you really passed the test? ;)

Congratulations!!!:fireworks: Russian is difficult!

Well, I did not write in Russian for 2 reasons :

1. I can only write by hand in Russian, typing takes a lot more time (to find were all the letters are on the keyboard)

2. I can only write application forms, happy birthday cards and short `zayavlenie`. At least that was what the written part of the test was all about.

Qdos
28-08-2009, 07:55
A third reason would be because this area of the forums
is limited to English language conversation alone... :ok:

Viola
28-08-2009, 10:16
2. I can only write application forms, happy birthday cards and short `zayavlenie`. At least that was what the written part of the test was all about.

That's what you need in the first place here :)

Lesena
28-08-2009, 11:07
Congratulatios!!!
Was the test hard? How did it go? It is very interesting to know! Could you share please?

SV1973a
01-09-2009, 12:31
There are a couple of centers you can go to take this test. In Moscow there is the Moscow State University and the Pushkin institute. There may be more, that I am not aware of.
I picked the Pushkin institute because this was conveniently located. You can find more information about this institute on the website . .. / Pushkin State Russian Language Institute (http://www.pushkin.edu.ru)
Information is also available in English.

If you have decided you want to take the test, you need to call the test center so that they can register you. According to the rules you should do this at least two weeks in advance of the test. I called them just 5 days before the test, and it was no problem.

On the day of the test, you go to the testing center. Be there 15 minutes before the start of the test. I advice you to be there earlier (45 minutes before the test), because you will need some time to effect the payment, and there may be a waiting line.
As soon as the test administrators arrive they call you into their office, where you will have to write your name, in Cyrillic and Latin letters on a piece of paper. It is important that you use the same spelling as in your passport, because that is how your name will appear on the certificate.
You also get a document that you must take to the `Buchhalter`, to make the payment. Price was 130 EUR, equivalent in RUB. The Buchhalter is in the same building on the second floor, so you can make a quick walk to that office. Depending on the number of participants the test fee can be lower.
After you have payed, you go to the test room.

Some 10 test takers participated. All of them from CIS countries, 1 guy from Georgia, 1 girl from Georgia, 1 old man from Azerbeidzjan, the other were all white, so probably Belorusians, Ukrainians or Moldovians.
The test begins with instructions. The test administrator explains the structure of the test, explains how to mark your answers on the answer sheet (and how to correct your answers if you made a mistake).

After the instructions, the first part of the test begins. There are 5 parts and all last 45 minutes, with a little break inbetween.

1. Reading and comprehension
You are given a couple of sheets with texts (maximum size of texts is half a page) on it. Below each text there are a few multiple-choice questions.
The texts are coming from real-life situations that you may encounter as an immigrant to this country, like for instance `news paper advertisements`, `legal texts about migration`, `general information`, `advertisements you see in the metro`,...
The texts are not really difficult and neither are the questions. Any adult with normal intelligence should have no difficulties with answering those questions.
However, in practice it shows that many CIS-people have difficulties with this part, not because of language problems obviously (as they almost all are native speakers of Russian), but because of problems with reasoning.
As an example; there was a question about the number of immigrants in Russia and there respective countries of origin. Listed are some 10 countries with the number of immigrants coming from these countries. Then the question is; `Do most immigrants come from :
a. China + Ukraine
b. Ukraine + Moldova
c. Ukraine + Kazakstan
d. Georgia + Azerbeidzjan`
All you need to be able to do to solve this question is make 4 little additions and look which gives the highest result.
Some people had difficulties with this, but I would not say that this was because of language problems.

2. Grammar
You get a couple of sheets with in total 85 grammar exercises. Again multiple choice. If you know basic grammar rules that should be enough to answer enough exercises correctly.

3. Writing
Here you need to fill in an application form (similar to the ones you need to fill in for TRP), write a birthday card for your friend, write a short letter to your future employer.
This is also not so difficult. You can have a look at how to fill in applications forms and which cases to use. Same goes for the birthday card. They indicate what you have to write on each line : To whom, From who, Greetings, Wishes, Ending.
The instructor told that the emphasis lies on understanding what you have to fill in, and make sure that the one receiving the message also understands what you want to communicate. Grammatically correct use of cases and verbs are therefore not the main issue, although they will also look at correct grammar use.
Funny thing happened at the start of this second part. The old man from Azerbeidzjan, stould up and told the instructor (in fluent Russian) that he would not participate to this part of the test, because he was a `construction worker` and he does not know how to write in Russian, as he never needs it.

4. Listening and comprehension
A little bit the same as in the first part, but this time with audio. You get to hear short messages. (Like for instance `weather forecast`, `television announcement`, `news`), and you get questions about what kind of wheater it will be, what kind of show will be on TV, etc.

5. Speaking
Here you get a paper with 4 situations to which you must prepare; asking a person where you can take the bus, calling a company to replace your windows, calling an FMS official and ask a question.
You get 20 minutes to prepare, and then you need to talk and have a `role play` with the test administrator.
But, because all participants (except for me) were native speakers, they just had to come in and have a little chat with the instructor. It was obvious that they have command of the language to go around in such basic conversations.
The instructor asked me where I was from, what I was doing in Moscow, and after 1 minute she told me it was OK.

So, that is about it for the test.
Not really difficult

FatAndy
01-09-2009, 12:57
Поздравляю! Молодец!
:10806::10518::12115::beerbros:

Yes, if you mentioned you live at T. Stan region, Pushkin is really convenient, and BTW has good level.

typing takes a lot more time (to find were all the letters are on the keyboard) - there is (not only) Russian typing training software:
http://ergosolo.ru/

SV1973a
01-09-2009, 13:13
Thanks FatAndy,
I will check out this typing training software. With a little practice I should be able to get on with it pretty quickly. I learned to type (blindly) as a kid when I was 10 years old. One of the best investments my father ever did for me and my sisters.

About Pushkin, I have heared that they have a good reputation. I am thinking of taking private lessons there. Group lessons are no use to me, as I am in a very special situation. Reading and Listening understanding skills are at TRKI 2 level or higher. I can speak Russian fluently, i.e. I can communicate in all situations, but I do not know grammar rules very well. Hence, make lots of mistakes against cases and aspects of verbs. Even worse are my writing skills, simply because I never need to write.

FatAndy
01-09-2009, 14:36
I do not know grammar rules very well. - I never knew them at all (if you ask me about any rule - answer is dunno 8(((), but all essays at school were written perfect - just started to read 2 yo... but Russian, of course.

lots of mistakes against cases and aspects of verbs. - practice and train, train and practice... ;)

Even worse are my writing skills, simply because I never need to write - the same. BTW, D. E. Rosentahl, who was Russian grammar guru , was born in Lodz, Poland, at 1899, having Polish as mother tongue, and then lived at Berlin, so deep Russian knowledge started only at 1914 when he've settled at Moscow.

dwandsv
01-09-2009, 15:58
Hello SV1973a -

Is this the test to be taken when applying for Russian Citizenship?

SV1973a
01-09-2009, 16:04
Yes

If you need to prepare for the test, I can advise you a booklet that is sold in bookstores in the center.
You should look in the Russian as a Foreign Language Section, among books for language level testing. They have this TRKI 1 and 2, TRKI Basic Level, TRKI Elementary level. In the same series they also have the book for Citizenship test.
It contains an explanation about the test, and also gives a sample test. The sample is indeed very close to the real test I had to take.

FatAndy
01-09-2009, 17:13
Just for a case, if Pushkin will not be suitable for some reasons - not far from them, just around 1km there is also RUDN (former UDN im. Patrisa Lumumby) - at Mikluho-Maklaya street, they also offer different Russian language teaching (I'm not sure about preparation for citizenship app):
| - c (http://www.rudn.ru/?pagec=32)

dwandsv
02-09-2009, 04:58
Hello SV1973a -

Where is the "center" you are referring to? I currently live in America and won't be moving to Russia until summer 2011, at which time my wife and I will settle in Barnaul where she is from. Maybe there is a book store either there or an online place to get such. Thanks much for your help.

SV1973a
02-09-2009, 12:03
The book I was referring to is `Testi dlya grazhdanstva RF`, contains 72 pages, printed by Zlatoust. ( . (). (http://www.zlat.spb.ru))
ISBN 5-86547-346-8
In Moscow this book costs about 150 RUR.

In the book there also is a list (several pages long) with all the addresses of the centers where you can take the test. Most of them are in Russia of course, but there are test centers in other countries as well. Most likely there is a test center in the USA.

I advise you to purchase your copy, and you will find in it everything you want to know.

The distributor for Zlatoust in the USA is :
Canada, USA Exclusive distributor Russia Online (Kensington md)
phone: +1 301 933 06 07
fax: +1 240 363 05 98
Russia Online, Inc. (http://www.russia-on-line.com)

bjolso
18-07-2011, 00:20
I did the language test for citizenship last week and will post a short summary, in case this is of help for anyone else. Basic information about the test is availaible on Wikipedia )search for "Test of Russian as a Foreign Language"). The level for citizenship is 'Basic' and it is not paticularly difficult. When preparing, I found two example tests on the Web. It was very good to go through them, because you can then see clearly if you will be able to pass or not. The test has a lot of questions and is very thorough, so the result you get in a practice run is a quite reliable indicator of how you will do in the acutal test.

I live in a provincial city (1 million pop.) two time zones from Moscow, and travelling to Moscow to do the test was not an option at this time. So the question was, can you do the test in other parts of Russia? Yes, you can. I found a list of around 100 places around Russia where you can take the test. I got the impression that it is mostly (maybe only) the state universities that are accredited. In our oblast, there were two universities accredited to give the test, both located in our city. Checking the universitie's web sites I found absolutely nothing about the test. Not a word. Luckily, my wife knows people at one of those universities (she studied there) and therefore understood who to call. We found out the following:

Unlike in Moscow and St Petersburg, tests in our city are given only once per month, and then only if sufficient people sign up. They told us the July session is usually cancelled for lack of participants. A few days later, they called again and said the test will be given the day after tomorrow, and that I had to turn up the next day to sign a contract. I went there and had to fill in a couple of forms. It turned out there were two of us going to take the test, me and an uzbek woman. Although she talked fluent russian, she had more problems with understanding and filling in the forms than I had. She later told me she had travelled 5 hours by bus to come to take the test, and she was not aware that there are sample tests on the web because they "did not have Internet in her town".

On the day of the test, we both turned up at 10 o'clock. The test was structured in 5 parts, just as SV described in an earlier post. This format seems to have been fixed for years, but the questions are replaced. I did not recognize a single question from the two sample tests I had taken. Before starting, we again had to fill in a form with the same information that we had already stated the day before (not suprsisingly). We also had to hand over the payment for the test, around 5,000 rubles, in cash, and were given our contracts and receipts.

The test took about 5 hours, including the short breaks (around 10 minutes) between each part. We were offered a lunch break, but declined (I was not hungry and the uzbek woman was in a hurry to catch her bus home). The teacher that overlooked the test, handed us the papers, etc, was friendly and helpful. Other things were pretty much as expected (i.e. the room was hot and stuffy, there was a noisy remont going on upstarirs, the toilets were disgusting, and the university corridors were full of blond female students with short skirts and perfect legs. :) )

Taking the test in the provinces has one drawback: They send everything to Moscow to get graded, so I now have to wait for two months to find out if I passed. If I have passed, I will receive a certificate which I will have to come to the post office in person to collect. I got the impression that some regional universities can do the grading and issue the certificates themselves, because they mentioned something about applying for a higher level of accrediation which will make them more independent from Moscow. So maybe the process is quicker in other major cities.

They told me tht if you fail in one of the five parts of the test, then you can retake that part for half the fee. If you fail in two or more parts, then you have to pay the full fee when retaking, but you only need to retake the parts that you failed. In this situation, you have two years to retake the failed parts, otherwise (if more than two years pass) you have to redo the whole thing.

I found the grammar and the speaking parts to be a little harder for me, while the other three parts (reading, writing and listening) were very easy. But this is of course individual. I strongly recommend taking one or two sample tests to check your level before doing the test.

bjolso
05-10-2011, 23:04
I did the language test for citizenship last week.. and have now found out that I passed. Yay! :)

KelleyK
17-02-2012, 17:07
Hi, what are the names of the books to help prepare for the test?

SV1973a
17-02-2012, 17:23
Hi, what are the names of the books to help prepare for the test?

Типовой тест по русскому языку для приема в гражданство Российской Федерации

This is just a sample test. You can use it to get an idea of the level you need to have.

KelleyK
17-07-2012, 21:26
SV,
I read on Wikipedia that the test is actually lower than the TKRI-1 test and is considered "basic". Would you agree with this?
Also, I am looking at a school to help prepare students for the TKRI test by giving them special classes that deal with it. http://www.lidenz.ru/courses/language-courses-tkri/

Also, do you think the book you recommend is still usable today? Meaning you received your RF cit. a few years ago, and was wondering if maybe the testing changed or there is a more up to date book? Just a thought.

With the school I mentioned above, I am thinking about enrolling there with the purpose of studying for the TKRI exam. Something that is supposedly a little higher than the actual test I need to take for citizenship. What you think?

FatAndy
17-07-2012, 22:56
Название: Типовой тест по русскому языку для приёма в гражданство Российской Федерации
Автор: Голубева А.В.
Издательство: Златоуст
ISBN: 5-86547-346-8
Год: 2005
Страниц: 74
Формат: DJVU
Размер: 9,52 Мб

Данное издание представляет собой тест по русскому языку как иностранному для приема в гражданство Российской Федерации.

I've posted it here:
http://zalil.ru/33581446

Nothing to do, just open the link by browser and allow the download. It is RAR archive, inside is djvu file (scanned text and pics).

http://windjview.sourceforge.net/ru/ - here is djvu viewer.

yulia kashutina
18-07-2012, 02:23
very happy for you! you are almost russian!

bjolso
18-07-2012, 07:43
There are also sample tests to be found on the Internet. One example: Search for the article on "TORFL" in the English part of Wikipedia. In the list of "External links", follow the last link, called "Typical tests with instructions". The sample test has a key at the end, so you can check your answers.

I thought the hardest part of the sample test was to read the instructions :)

KelleyK
18-07-2012, 11:27
There are also sample tests to be found on the Internet. One example: Search for the article on "TORFL" in the English part of Wikipedia. In the list of "External links", follow the last link, called "Typical tests with instructions". The sample test has a key at the end, so you can check your answers.

I thought the hardest part of the sample test was to read the instructions :)
bj,

When taking the test, are the instructions with it or it just only the test alone?

bjolso
18-07-2012, 12:22
bj,

When taking the test, are the instructions with it or it just only the test alone?When I took the test, there were not only the written instructions, but also two friendly and helpful teachers who explained everything and made sure we understood before proceeding with the next part. We were also offered a lunch break, so it was relatively relaxed. I don't know if it's always like that, but in general, I thought it was much easier to take the test than what I had imagined beforehand.

bjolso
18-07-2012, 12:31
very happy for you! you are almost russian!Thanks! But I think we will never become real russians. It's a status one can only priblizitsya, but never quite reach. ;)

FatAndy
18-07-2012, 13:15
Thanks! But I think we will never become real russians. It's a status one can only priblizitsya, but never quite reach. ;)
Aha, асимптотическое приближение (С) ;)

KelleyK
19-07-2012, 22:41
Ok, I bought the book today and even downloaded the example test from Wikipedia. I have visited St. Petersburg State Un. and they offer that a person can go there and take a practice test as well. With a fee of course! I hope to take the real test within 6 months or less.

KelleyK
27-08-2012, 21:53
In the listening part of the test, did they play a CD that you listened to or how did that part go?

NLD
27-08-2012, 22:21
In my case the teacher just read whatever was on her sheet, and I had to tick the right answers. She really put on thick what the right answer was, too...

KelleyK
28-08-2012, 07:20
Типовой тест по русскому языку для приема в гражданство Российской Федерации

This is just a sample test. You can use it to get an idea of the level you need to have.
Interesting because I bought the book and it is harder than I thought. The example question at the beginning asks about how much a student can get for a loan for college education. Pretty technical words for "basic". I struggle with it right off the bat!

KelleyK
04-10-2012, 15:16
Passed my exams today.

FatAndy
04-10-2012, 15:44
Passed my exams today.
Молодец, поздравляю! :thumbsup:

KelleyK
06-10-2012, 09:34
When I took the exam, it was for two days. 25 students and I was the only American. The woman in charge of giving the tests was very supportive and told us she wanted us to pass. I believe they were intentionally very lenient when they corrected the texts.
The reading part at the beginning was amazingly easy. When I bought the book to help prepare for the text, I was a little surprised by how hard it was. But when I took the exam, the text was done in short paragraphs, making for easy reading, followed with one or two questions. The last page of it was a full page and a half. Long yes, but so easy to ready. It was true what the man told me when I had went to the school three weeks earlier to register. He said that so many people were failing the reading part, that they actually re-did the text to make is a little easier to read.

The other part of the exam was listening to a CD. This is where I thought I would struggle. But, on the CD, the speakers spoke VERY slow, and easy to follow along.

Out of 25 students, only one failed and would have to return. I will go pick up my certificate in 10 days. Sure am glad this part is over! :-)

bjolso
23-10-2012, 23:59
Passed my exams today.Pozdravlyayu!

Arthuro
24-10-2012, 00:12
The reading part at the beginning was amazingly easy. When I bought the book to help prepare for the text, I was a little surprised by how hard it was. But when I took the exam, the text was done in short paragraphs, making for easy reading, followed with one or two questions. The last page of it was a full page and a half. Long yes, but so easy to ready. It was true what the man told me when I had went to the school three weeks earlier to register. He said that so many people were failing the reading part, that they actually re-did the text to make is a little easier to read.

The other part of the exam was listening to a CD. This is where I thought I would struggle. But, on the CD, the speakers spoke VERY slow, and easy to follow along.

Out of 25 students, only one failed and would have to return. I will go pick up my certificate in 10 days. Sure am glad this part is over! :-)

Тяжело в ученье, легко в бою!!
Поздравляю

Jez
21-11-2012, 15:24
Should the language test for RF citizenship be conducted at specific locations? (For example, I know that medicals for TRP and PRP must be conducted at different locations depending on your registration address. Is this similar?)

When applying for RF citizenship, is there a time limit for how recently you must have passed the language test?

mik891
22-11-2012, 19:21
Should the language test for RF citizenship be conducted at specific locations? (For example, I know that medicals for TRP and PRP must be conducted at different locations depending on your registration address. Is this similar?)

When applying for RF citizenship, is there a time limit for how recently you must have passed the language test?

good question. anyone?

SV1973a
22-11-2012, 20:43
good question. anyone?

You can take this test wherever you want. This is not depending on your registration or anything. There is also no limit of its validity. You get a certificate and this is for life.