PDA

View Full Version : Need Black-Only Printing, Printer ASAP

NYkr
25-08-2009, 16:45
Hello Expats,

I need a printer for Windows XP that only prints in Black. I just realized my Canon MP510 uses color to print black and I can not turn off this function. I tell it to print in grey scale but somehow it sneakily uses color when it is not needed. How nefarious of Canon <:(.

For normal text printing it will be cheaper to get a black-only printer for Windows XP.

Anyone got anything? <:).

THANKS IN ADVANCE,
NYKR

NO EMAIL OR TELEPHONE DETAILS IN ANY
DISCUSSION THREADS THANK YOU! Mods

Qdos
25-08-2009, 16:58
Consider using a monotone laser printer perhaps...

You have to research which ones have the lowest cost drums and toner, as some work out expensive - but other than that it's plain sailing... :)

Lasers are usually best suited to higher volume jobs, rather than running off the odd page now and again however, as persistent low volume use will drastically shorten the life of the drum unit (the most costly consumable component... )

Bels
25-08-2009, 17:15
Are we talking about a bubblejet cartridge printer? Couldn't you just take the colour cartridge out and use black cartridge only. Ok I know, it can't be that easy as you would have already done it.

My colour has run out anyway. I'm fed up paying over 2000 roubles on a regular basis. It's like a monthly rent on a flat!! And I've already spent the value on the value of 12 HP printers.

Qdos
25-08-2009, 17:22
Ever heard of Ink-tanks Bels? You can hook up 'feeder' dummy cartridges to the print saddle, with tubing which feeds off to the exterior into a big (set of) ink-tanks...

Google will tell you which printers have compatible ink-tank kits.

It's also viable for the OP perhaps, as you can feed black ink to all the print heads at once, fooling the printer into believing it's using a 'melange' of colours when it isnt...

You just buy bottles of ink to refill the tank unit(s) making a big saving :)

FatAndy
25-08-2009, 18:07
PIXMA MP510. Планшетные устройства со*струйной печ&# (http://www.canon.ru/products/specification.asp?id=1701) - this device has separate CMYK cartridges.
PGI-5BK. Расходные материалы (http://www.canon.ru/products/consumables/product.asp?Type=Tank&id=11094) - black cartridge.

my Canon MP510 uses color to print black and I can not turn off this function - check if you have proper drivers installed, the link to drivers is:
http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010395.asp

Bels
25-08-2009, 18:08
Thanks Qdos, I will look into this.

Qdos
25-08-2009, 20:02
Check if you have proper drivers installed...

The drivers don't usually control this, colour inkjets are programmed at a hardware level to consume colour inks, even to do monotone printing - and yes, it's a total con... but when it comes down to it there are so many other aspects of consumables in todays marketplace... n'est ce pas? ;)

FatAndy
25-08-2009, 22:27
colour inkjets are programmed at a hardware level to consume colour inks, even to do monotone printing - and yes, it's a total con... - uuups... AFAIR at my old Canon pixma i1000 there was separate black cartridge and I've printed with it if I needed grayscale only. The same occurs with my current HP Photosmart 33xx, there is an option button for b/w copy when it should use black cartridge only and same feature in driver... unfortunately I can't check it now with microscope to find if it's really using black cartridge only.:eh:

there are so many other aspects of consumables in todays marketplace... n'est ce pas? - Oui, mon ami, et c'est terrible... L'argent c'est mchant, comme le Juge dit. ;)

Qdos
25-08-2009, 22:29
They're designed to sap the ink, and most do not just use the black tank to print black or greyscale - it increases sales of colour cartridges, which might explain why it's tough to find monotone inkjets these days... ;)

FatAndy
25-08-2009, 22:45
2 Bels:
I remember these guys (Lintek company) from old times at MSU, they sit at inst. nuclear physics building, 200 m ftom m. Universitet):
Lintek.ru™: , (http://www.lintek.ru/shop/?parent=1;34:01&PHPSESSID=4ceb6d30df02309ff9857b41db3f0be4) - their refillers, cartridges and inks for Canon, original and compatible

FatAndy
25-08-2009, 22:53
2 Qdos:
do not just use the black tank to print black or greyscale - he-he... no microscope needed, just spitting onto fresh printout... :D yes, if it is really PRINTING IMAGE with a greyscale - shaitan-machine works with cmy combination, saliva dissolves inks and they're coloured. But if I make copy from on-top glass via hardware monochrome button - no, it makes it with black ink only. Text printout from notepad.exe is also only black.