PDA

View Full Version : question about language teaching companies in Moscow

Roadspell
24-08-2009, 02:58
Hi. Which English-teaching companies in Moscow are the best to work with? What do they require/provide? Will appreciate any info/advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bels
24-08-2009, 20:22
Highly debatable question, and often asked. For those not yet in Russia and wish to apply and get the whole package of payment of travel costs, visa and work permit support, and accomodation it has to be BKC and Language LInk. Also a major worry with new arrivals to Russia is to ensure that the actually carry out their promise of contract.

Both those companies will give you a telephone interview from your own country, before travelling to Russia. Of course the Best school of all was definately The British Council, but unfortunately Russia no longer has the pleasure of this school.

Will
25-08-2009, 17:25
Another one that gives telephone interviews and support for new teachers is BBLC, smaller than the one's mentioned above, but pays better and is less likely to send you to east bumble**** to teach indifferent teenagers in a collapsing school. http://www.bblc.ru/index.php?ln=en
I've worked for them a fair bit over the years and they are easy to be with.

Language link is a clown car of a company here, always was, though in other countries I hear they are ok. I'd avoid them.

Looking for smaller schools is often the key, depending on how much support you require.

Bels
25-08-2009, 17:38
Another one that gives telephone interviews and support for new teachers is BBLC, smaller than the one's mentioned above, but pays better and is less likely to send you to east bumble**** to teach indifferent teenagers in a collapsing school. BBLC - British Business Language Centre (http://www.bblc.ru/index.php?ln=en)
I've worked for them a fair bit over the years and they are easy to be with.

Language link is a clown car of a company here, always was, though in other countries I hear they are ok. I'd avoid them.

Looking for smaller schools is often the key, depending on how much support you require.

That's the problem. The ones who are asking the question are normally newbies who are coming to Russia for the very first time. Therefore they will need all the support they can get with a safe reliable employer who will give them a whole package and and a fulltime contract before they leave their country. That's why I state BKC or Language Link as employers. I would never recommend them to an employer who might be risky. They can always improve their situation later, if they wish to stay. Problem is that many have no desire to return, and probably end up in Sunny Spain or Great Britain for a better deal.

Will
25-08-2009, 17:42
Yes, you're right enough, and the one I mentioned has the same level of support as BKC. LL have been too frequently guilty of letting people sink for the want of a little support in the past. I spent time with them when I arrived. They may have improved, but I hear little to that effect from friends here.
If there is a thread with a list of potential employers here it might be an idea to link to it: I am unfamiliar with the mysterious ways of the place.

Bels
25-08-2009, 17:58
I have thought about listing suitable employers for expat.ru. But the problem is that there are too many bad ones, and I don't to feel responsible if they have any problems such as getting less than what they expected, or even worse not payed at all.

However it is worth keeping an eye in the expat vacancies section, with caution of course. I love it the way that many have changed their tone here.

Vacancies :: Moscow's virtual community for English speaking expats and Russians (http://expat.ru/vacancies.php)