PDA

View Full Version : My intro

elias
24-08-2009, 00:40
Hi, I've been teaching English for the past 4 years in Moscow. I'm fully booked :cool::cool:, and if you want I can give you some tips on how to get and deal with your clients here.

pjw
24-08-2009, 00:58
Hi Elias and welcome to forum. Great news that you're fully booked up.

It's most unusual for me to hear it. Sounds very positive. Here in Germany, English teaching work has become scarce, at least in my town. Nothing like it was in the past 10 years.

Which are the biggest schools in Moscow? Which are the best/easiest schools to apply to for work? How many hours can be expected to be offered in the contract these days???

Bels
24-08-2009, 20:14
Hi, I've been teaching English for the past 4 years in Moscow. I'm fully booked :cool::cool:, and if you want I can give you some tips on how to get and deal with your clients here.

Hello Elias. Your tips on how you get your students will be most welcome here on this forum.

Bels
25-08-2009, 13:46
Hi Elias and welcome to forum. Great news that you're fully booked up.

It's most unusual for me to hear it. Sounds very positive. Here in Germany, English teaching work has become scarce, at least in my town. Nothing like it was in the past 10 years.

Which are the biggest schools in Moscow? Which are the best/easiest schools to apply to for work? How many hours can be expected to be offered in the contract these days???

I think you are talking about a mixture of being a private teacher and being an employed EFL teacher. In regards to employed I think the schools will require less teachers than usual this year, although they do continue to advertise for native speaking teachers. The only way to find out is to apply, they might well be more selective due to lack of posts available.

In regards to private work, Moscow has probably got a much larger population than your current town in Germany, with a much greater demand for English. Competition is probably greater in Germany than it is in Russia.

I think its easy to be fully booked in Moscow if you go in cheap. However if you require a reasonable income per week, it becomes more difficult. I am not impressed of some EFL teacher stating that they are fully booked in Moscow and earning 300 per week for example.

Bels
25-08-2009, 13:53

First of all. How do you get your clients?

I personally try to stick local to my area, and try not to waste my hours. I also work in a village in the western region of Moscow, so I do have a smaller market compared to mainstream Moscow.

Apart from local word of mouth, sticking up tear-off posters, advertising in local newspapers and free classified on the internet, How else can we find more students?

pjw
25-08-2009, 14:13
Thx 4 this info Bels. It's worth gold to me at the mo. Now I eagerly await the wise words of Elias. He seems to be the fully booked up man in demand. I wonder what his secret is?

BTW Bels, hasn't your poser ranking risen to #4? Now it's #1 Biscuit, #2 Judge, #3 dunno then #4 u. I like watching the movement at the top. It's really like a new sport. Exciting!

Bels
25-08-2009, 15:09
Thx 4 this info Bels. It's worth gold to me at the mo. Now I eagerly await the wise words of Elias. He seems to be the fully booked up man in demand. I wonder what his secret is?

BTW Bels, hasn't your poser ranking risen to #4? Now it's #1 Biscuit, #2 Judge, #3 dunno then #4 u. I like watching the movement at the top. It's really like a new sport. Exciting!

Were you here when we were fighting for a prize. I started moving up in the ratings then, but was a bit late in starting, so I ended up with the booby third prize :)

I think judge won it , or was it cleaner?

pjw
25-08-2009, 21:29
Moscow has probably got a much larger population than your current town in GermanyInteresting point Bels. My town Regensburg has 140,000 people. Whether that's bigger than Moscow? I'll have to do some googling to find that out. Could be. посмотрим :question:
...fully booked and earning 300 per week...Again could be, could be, посмотрим, Elias what do u think?

Here's another excellent teaching thread @ http://www.expat.ru/forum/teachers-discussion-folder/165579-question-about-language-teaching-companies-moscow.html and top marks to Bels for starting his @ Welcome private teachers sept 2009 (http://www.expat.ru/forum/teachers-discussion-folder/165355-welcome-private-teachers-sept-2009-a.html).

Bels
25-08-2009, 21:48
Of course as stated earlier first thing is to ensure maximum responses and interest in your teaching services. I said tear off posters placed around you locally, check out on any newspapers given free in your local outlets such as grocery and hardware shops, as those are likely your best newspapers to advertise.

Also there are many classified websites offering free advertising both in Russian and English. I would appreciate you start googling and post them here for other members to use. Heri s just of the ones that I have used , but do accept that may also receive junk mail. That's just the pros and cons of being in business

100% free classifieds RUSSIAN FEDERATION, Real Estate, Motoring, Yard Depot, Jobs, Events,... (http://ru.anuncioo.com/)

Bels
25-08-2009, 22:21
One trick I would love to know is how to distribute leaflets to the Oligarths in the western region, but I have come to the conclusion that this would be impossible for the leaflet distributer to get past thes high walls, gates and security guards. Any ideas :)

pjw
26-08-2009, 16:12
if you want I can give you some tips on how to get clients here.Hmm yes please. That would be super. Thanks very much in advance and looking forward with anticipation to your thoughts, ideas and help. Still waiting for the man in demand! ;)